PDA

View Full Version : Is APUG alive in the Bay Area?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Tom Taylor
05-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Absolutely!!

BradS
06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Would anyone be interested in a group get together/shooting outing or something?

yeah!

Roger Thoms
06-07-2009, 03:10 PM
I'd be interested to.
Roger

rorye
06-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Sounds good guys. It looks like we're spread from San Mateo to San Rafael. Any thoughts on meeting places? I'm happy to travel/shoot anywhere. Muir Woods, Drawbridge, something like that?

Zathras
06-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Sounds good guys. It looks like we're spread from San Mateo to San Rafael. Any thoughts on meeting places? I'm happy to travel/shoot anywhere. Muir Woods, Drawbridge, something like that?

Is it even possible to get to Drawbridge any more? There once was a photographer who who led tours out there through a program put on by the wildlife refuge in Newark, but that was stopped by Union Pacific after they bought out Southern Pacific. You had to cross over to the island by walking over one of their bridges, and UP did not want to deal with the liability that presented.

If you do go out there, make sure that somebody is watching for trains at all times. A lookout who can warn of approaching trains is absolutely necessary. The track that runs through Drawbridge is quite busy, the trains are running fast on this part of the line, and you might not hear them until they are almost on top of you.

Mike

spark
06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
You can get close from the Alviso side, but you're still looking at it across the slough.

Tom Taylor
06-08-2009, 08:25 PM

East Bay here!

What would be the subject matter: Landscape, seascape, cityscape, architecture...

rorye
06-10-2009, 10:24 PM
How about Angel Island? Lots of trees, old buildings and a cool boat ride.

Iwagoshi
06-16-2009, 03:27 PM
In the mean time, you're all invited for a little wine and snacks, Friday, July 3rd, at the Joyce Gordon Gallery (http://www.joycegordongallery.com/joyce_gordon_gallery_calendar.html), I have a piece in the show. The gallery is at 406 14th St, Oakland, a half a block away from the 12th Street BART station, north exit (on 14th).

Terry

Tom Taylor
06-18-2009, 06:00 PM
This is on short notice, but how about photographing a real ghost town this Saturday, 20 June? For further info http://www.meetup.com/SF-Bay-Area-Photographers-Explorers. It's a private group (I'm the organizer) so you'll have to join but it's free. Once you are a member click on the calendar for Saturday, 20 June New Idria Ghost Town Meetup. If you want to come, just RSVP. Any question, e-mail me off the Meetup website.

Thomas

rorye
06-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Looks like a great trip Tom, I can't make it this time but look forward to joining you on the next one.

Siraldenn
06-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Bay Area photographers are spread up and down both sides of the Bay, from Mill Valley (and north to Mendicino). I have lived off and on in S.F., since the late 60's, and the City is a heaven for MF and LF Film Photographers. There is a Photographers group that meets in Golden Gate Park, a group of former Combat Photographers who meet monthly (most of them still shoot for fun), the A. Adams Gallery hosts meeting, and the list goes on... A. Gasser's photographer's supply is alive and well on 2nd St. (south of Mission St.), The Photograpehr's Workshop on Folsom just around the corner from Gasser's. Some of the Pro Labs used to host meeting also.
For the pro's on tight schedules, getting to meetings is hard. I had to retire, before I started thinking about joining a group (internet helps in this respect).
I have been a working photographer in "film" for more than 40 years, and now live in Northern California, north of S.F., closer to the Redwoods and Coast I want to take photos off. I have worked in everything from 16mm to 8x10. I now use M/F 6x9 and 6x6 systems (they are smaller and lighter to carry around.
All you have to do is walk around San Francisco, and you will see photo galleries here and there (South of Market, the "Barbary Coast" area north of the Financial dist. as well as working studios.
In the City, life just goes on, I used to like watching people going about their business and occasionally get it on film.

Mark_S
04-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Just checking in with everybody - I was the OP on this thread, over a year ago. I have mostly completed my move, although my darkroom is still in Maine - and I am not sure when that will be moved and I manage to build a new darkroom out here. I have been living in downtown San Jose for 6 months now, and am making use of a rental darkroom (darkroom at debug). I have put my LF gear away for the time being, and am concentrating on small formats.

All of the comments that flooded in from the original post were great, it really helped me to understand better what the local scene is, and that is something that I am sure will continue to evolve as I settle in.

BradS
04-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Hi Mark, Welcome to Silicon Valley.

grahamp
04-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I've been here just short of eleven years, I still don't know what the scene is! 8-)

TheFlyingCamera
04-02-2010, 02:19 PM
I so want to be back there again, but that's going to probably have to be a retirement dream.

Iwagoshi
04-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Mark, I have a feeling your LF won't stay packed for long. Before or after your next trip to Yosemite or Carmel it will again see the light of day.

TFC, I don't know anyone that has moved back to California to retire. Most move away to Las Vegas, Mexico, or Oregon. The taxes alone will eat your fixed income alive.

grahamp, you live in Richmond? Did I almost bike into you on the Bay Trail?

Mark_S
04-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Iwagoshi - although taxes are high in California, my overall taxes went down when I moved from Maine to CA. Maine taxes are even higher. This includes income taxes, car registrations and property taxes.

grahamp
04-08-2010, 03:37 PM

grahamp, you live in Richmond? Did I almost bike into you on the Bay Trail?

Yes (McBryde), and no, I haven't been near the trail recently. Though I am supposed to dig out the Brompton and go for a ride with my brother in law soon. Lots of house issues at the moment. I did build a 5x4 pinhole camera recently for use next week.

k_jupiter
04-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Just checking in with everybody - I was the OP on this thread, over a year ago. I have mostly completed my move, although my darkroom is still in Maine - and I am not sure when that will be moved and I manage to build a new darkroom out here. I have been living in downtown San Jose for 6 months now, and am making use of a rental darkroom (darkroom at debug). I have put my LF gear away for the time being, and am concentrating on small formats.

All of the comments that flooded in from the original post were great, it really helped me to understand better what the local scene is, and that is something that I am sure will continue to evolve as I settle in.

Downtown SJ? I just moved from 12th street to Sunnyvale. It's a nice place to live (san jose that is).

It's also a nice place to photograph.

tim in Sunnyvale