PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Camera Show Jan 25th

naeroscatu
01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Just to remind folks interested that a new Camera Show is scheduled for Jan 25th at the Thornhill Community Center (Bayview & John Str). I'm not involved in the organization of this or selling anything but will go to look around.;) Cheers

Uncle Bill
01-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the reminder, it will all depend on the amount of cash I have in the wallet.

David William White
01-17-2009, 10:51 PM
bump

Jeff L
01-19-2009, 11:48 PM
I may go. The last shows prices seem very high to me.
Jeff

Shelley-Ann
01-24-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm planning on going. The prices where high last time (as usual), but I got a few deals. Mainly looking for a larger darkroom easel and enlarging lens this time.

Shelley-Ann
01-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Went to the show.
There was a lot less people there than usual, but I got what I wanted: an El-Nikkor 75mm f4 enlarging lens.
There wasn't really that much gear, and what was there was outrageously priced as usual. I guess these guys haven't heard of Ebay.
The one great find there (for me, anyway) was Rollei Retro 100 35mm and lucky 120 film, which I'm going to try. Usually, that show is not good for film; you have to go to the big one for that.

Jeff L
01-25-2009, 07:43 PM
I bought some of that film too. I usually only shoot Ilford, but thought it might be interesting. Everything I've read about the Lucky SHD 100 says it's not very good. The Massive Development Chart has the same times listed no matter what speed you shoot it at. (?) I still have to find development times for the Rollei Retro 100 I bought. I will probably use HC110 or DDX.
You're right though, some of the prices were high. I found this at the last show too. I got a few small things that I really didn't need. There seemed to be fewer tables aswell.

Vilk
01-25-2009, 09:46 PM
...that show is not good for film; you have to go to the big one for that.

i'm happy with my purchases, too :)

what's the "big one"?

Jeff L
01-25-2009, 10:15 PM
The "big one" might be the one in March (29th?).

gerryyaum
01-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Lots of Canadians in Apug...good to know.

David William White
01-25-2009, 10:35 PM
The "big one" might be the one in March (29th?).

May 31st. See http://www.phsc.ca/

Vilk
01-25-2009, 11:18 PM
May 31st. See http://www.phsc.ca/

merci :)

Jeff L
01-26-2009, 03:28 PM
>>Originally Posted by Jeff L
>>The "big one" might be the one in March (29th?).

I look at the flyer and the March 29th date was for another show at Thornhill Community Center off Bayview.
Jeff

Mike Wilde
01-27-2009, 08:00 AM
No big purchases for me
- a spare plastic 8x loupe for $3 ( I dropped my existing one, and it cracked, so a spare for the next time that happens was in order
- a hard rubber tank with floating lid, and one 4x5 film hanger for $10. Now I have 2 tanks - one for dev, one for fix; the beginnings of a sink line. I plan to use a wash tub of water to rinse hangers between the developer and fix.
- a home made lamp thing made from empty food cans that I bought for $1 that I though I could turn into a safe light. On closer inspection once home it turns out it is a home brew enlarger head, complete with a set of condenser lenses, a negative carrier made of masonite hardboard, and a lens cone that holds the lens. The lens has a controllable aperture , although I have no idea of what the focal legth or coatings might be; it is unlabelled.

My best guess on the enlarger head is that it dates from the 50's, and was made with at least some parts ordered from a kit. It had a square light gate, and the neg carrier slot that looked like is would go with a 127 film format, which fits with the estimated period. I have slightly modified the light gate to suit the dimensions of 35mm frames, and the thing appears to work just fine. I am tempted to fit it onto a wood mount to control the head height, stick a 12v automotive tail light bulb in it, and mount it in the back of my truck to serve as part of an on the road darkroom that I was thinking to cobble together for a 5000km road trip that we are planning for a summer vacation this August.

accozzaglia
02-14-2009, 05:27 PM
I've wanted to go to one of these, but its location way out in Thornhill doesn't make using public transit all that favourable from a central location like Bathurst and Bloor. Otherwise, I would have definitely gone to one by now.

Mike Wilde
02-17-2009, 08:01 AM
'The Big One' in the spring has in the past has run a shuttle bus from Kipling Station. Check the phsc web site to see if one is being offered this year. Otherwise, if you are in a pinch with GAS, and cash in hand, PM me a few days before the event. I usually go in the QEW, and up the 427 to Highway 7. Making a swing by Kipling to pick up at the subway would not be a big imposition.