PDA

View Full Version : A. Steigmann

Kirk Keyes
01-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Does anyone have some background on A. Steigmann. I'm guessing he's German, but other than that, I've no clue. I recently bought a book about the 1959 Liege Symposium I think, and he has a couple papers in it. He has about 8 or so references for each paper, and he references other papers by himself 6 out of 8 times! That seems a bit self-centered, I suppose.

Anyway, he seems like he's done a lot of development in the field of emulsion making, and his name seems to pop up all over the place. So I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a good source to find out more about him and his research.

wildbillbugman
01-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Hi Kirk,
I think he was a credited extra in the movie "Beerfest" He played the tuba in the umpah band.
Allways eager to help,
Bill

Kirk Keyes
01-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks Bill. I knew someone would be able to clear that up for me!

dwross
01-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Steigmann is a hard guy to pin down. I've tried, too. I owe him a debt of gratitude for his gold sensitizing formula.

Here is a page from an excellent little book that mentions Steigmann (left hand side, toward bottom). This book is in line to get copied for The Light Farm lit list, but it will be a few months down the road. I highly recommend it for its innumerable insights.
http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Books/Wentzel/index.htm

If anyone has convenient access to the stacks of a good University library, you might try to find this reference:
A. Steigmann "Making of unwashed silver chloro-bromide emulsions" B.J. Phot. 1946, 93.140-141.

d

Kirk Keyes
01-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Denise - he does pop up everywhere.

By the way, Memoirs of a Photochemist looks interesting. Do you have any leads on where to get on that does non cost $160+? If not, get scanning, my very good friend! Have you thought of farming out some of your scanning - I could fit it in!

Gigabitfilm
01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
1931 - Dr. A. Steigmann, Heidelberg, Werderstrasse 57 (Germany)
1953 - Dr. E. A. Steigmann, Atlantic Gelatin Division, General Foods Corp., Woburn, Mass., USA
1956 - Dr. A. Steigmann, Atlantic Gelatin Div. General Goods Corp., Hill Street, Woburn, Mass., USA

perhaps operation paperclip?

dwross
01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
1931 - Dr. A. Steigmann, Heidelberg, Werderstrasse 57 (Germany)
1953 - Dr. E. A. Steigmann, Atlantic Gelatin Division, General Foods Corp., Woburn, Mass., USA
1956 - Dr. A. Steigmann, Atlantic Gelatin Div. General Goods Corp., Hill Street, Woburn, Mass., USA

perhaps operation paperclip?

Thanks for the info. Mr. Gelatin, indeed.

Kirk, Thank you for the scanning offer, but unless you've added a magic, autonomous book scanner to your toy collection, I know you don't have time. But, it was a very nice thought. If you find you can't wait to read Wentzel on TLF, drop by and take the book for a couple hours to photocopy.

Denise