PDA

View Full Version : 9x12cm GAS

Kino
01-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Hello,

I appear to have gone quite insane, as I suddenly have an insatiable desire to purchase a 9 x 12 cm plate camera.

Please tell me they are no fun, smell bad and ruin your life.

Thank you.

ntenny
01-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Hello,

I appear to have gone quite insane, as I suddenly have an insatiable desire to purchase a 9 x 12 cm plate camera.

Please tell me they are no fun, smell bad and ruin your life.

Absolutely. There's nothing less fun than getting a large-format image out of a camera that can be stuffed into an overcoat pocket; no smell worse than old leather and a hint of emulsion; but my wife insists that I should unironically tell you that they *do* ruin your life.

It's true. Those complicated-yet-robust little mechanical tricks they use to fold up, and the little buzz of the slow-speed escapement in an old Prontor, and so on? They all just *eat* *up* your whole quality of life while you're not looking.

Also, it's not any fun at all to poke around on a well-known auction site trying to track down the weird little unusual camera or part that you feel like you're missing. Nope. Not a bit. But it's your funeral, I suppose.

-NT

Ian Grant
01-09-2009, 01:22 AM
The downside is hassle of finding the right darkslides. But they arevery moreish I have 5 :D

Ian

Soeren
01-09-2009, 02:34 AM
I have three different types of holders. 5 ICA that does not fit my Voigtländer Bergheil, 4 Voigtländer that does not fit my Bergheil and one Voigtländer that does fit my Bergheil :( Still suffering from recieving the 4 Voigtländer holders I say "no its no fun at all" :)
Apart from the hassle of finding the right holders I find it a cute little camera, fun to use and the results are very good
Kind regards

Ian Grant
01-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Swap time is looming Soeren :) Maybe when I'm next in the UK in the Spring we can arrange a European swap thread. I have quite a number of holders that don't fit any of my 5 cameras :D

Ian

Soeren
01-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Which plate cameras do you have Ian
And dare I hope you have some Bergheil holders? :p
Kind regards

Renato Tonelli
01-09-2009, 06:23 PM
A swap fair is an excellent idea: I have some 9x12 holders that do not fit my Zeiss Ikon 9x12.