PDA

View Full Version : Renting a MF camera

Crono
01-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi,

errrrrrrrrrr...
I am actually based in Coleraine, at the North...
donno if anyone based around here

I am interested in getting into MF
but still struggling which brand to go into :(

and other members always suggest to rent one before buying
so... where can i rent a camera here :confused:

thanks very much for your help ;)

martinhughesireland
01-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I was similar at the start of last year. Didn't bother renting a camera though. Just bought a cheap Bronica SQA with an 80mm and 50mm lens to try out MF photography

The camera didn't break the bank and I could have sold it later for near the same money. A year later and I am really enjoying MF photography so have decided to invest in MF now (have bought two other MF cameras in the last 2 months so be careful it can be addictive getting into this:-))

Up to you at the end of the day but I would recommend just getting your self a cheap Bronica or TLR or something to give it a go. Renting costs money and you only have the camera for a few days which I think means you don't get a proper feel for MF Photography

Best of luck
M

Crono
01-13-2009, 07:17 PM
I know it addictive and I admit I do have GAS!!!... sigh...

i actually own a seagull, but the shutter doesn't fire anymore... that's why i have to look into another one.
i think i will dissect it when i have time... it is a brick now, anyway

and i am targeting the SQ-A at the moment, but still want to try the rb67
as i want to see if i can hand hold it

thanks for sharing your experience :P

peterev
01-14-2009, 03:37 AM
There are mamiya 645 cameras available for great prices on ebay. I recommend one of these.

sidearm613
01-14-2009, 03:46 AM
you could buy a pentax 645 for less than it costs to rent a camera. the lenses are great, the camera takes pretty good pictures, so if you can live with the quirks of the camera, it can be had for a song on KEH

thefizz
01-14-2009, 04:02 AM
If you are down my way any time, let me know and you can put a few rolls through my RZ67 and Mamiya 7 Rangfinder, to get a feel for them.

Peter

peterev
01-14-2009, 05:47 AM
The only issue with the pentax, which was my main camera for about a decade, is the backs are not interchangeable. So you dont have the option of shooting different stock should circumstances make it preferable. 6x7s are fantasic also. I shoot a lot with pentax 67, this again doesnt have interchangeable backs so
a mamiya 67 is probably a better bet.

Crono
01-14-2009, 04:16 PM
If you are down my way any time, let me know and you can put a few rolls through my RZ67 and Mamiya 7 Rangfinder, to get a feel for them.

Peter
Thanks very much!!!
I will if I go to Dublin
not a few rolls, even if i have only a chance to hold it
i will be appreciated :p

i have considered about 645... but i think it's not really a big jump from 35mm to 645, so if i want rectangle, i will go for 6x7

and unlike the GS-1, the rotating back seem to be very handy for portrait (which i very rarely do :rolleyes:), but it's still nice to have...

i know there are good deal on KEH... but when i think about the import charges... sigh...

i think i will stick to ebay, please keep your finger cross for my hunt :D

peterev
01-14-2009, 05:23 PM
If you going with a 6x7 be aware that its not ideal for documentary work the depth of field is very,very different to 35mm. Consider what your subject matter is likely to be before you commit, and there is a significant difference between 35mm and 645.
p

Crono
01-14-2009, 06:19 PM
:o

would there be more depth of field? or more shallow?

i would say i do landscape most, then still live, then maybe macro, very rarely portrait, but i would like to try more portrait now... that's why i didn't go for a folder or a TLR
'cos they closed my option on macro :(

peterev
01-15-2009, 04:45 AM
Shallower dof. A 6x7 is great for all the purposes you specified, as is a 645. I would still recommend a mamiya pro or similar.

edhead2008
02-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Crono,

I recently bought a Rolleiflex T from ebay, but found out when it arrived that it needs alot more work than I anticipated, so if you decide to go down this route I would heartily recommend that you get the opinion of someone who knows the particular brand/model of camera you decide to go for.