PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Research Publications

Photo Engineer
01-24-2009, 05:32 PM
A while back, someone had asked me if I knew what the titles were for the Kodak Research Monographs. These were books published between 1921 and about 1960 which covered several topics.

I have found the titles to the first 3 and here they are.

1. "The Silver Bromide Grain of Photographic Emulsions" by Trivelli and Sheppard (consists of 10 monographs plus additional topics)

2. "Gelatin" by Sheppard

3. "The Theory of Development" by Nietz

They were from the series called "Monographs on the Theory of Photography" and ended with the nth book titled:

"Photographic Theory, Selected Topics" with 8 monographs and no author given.

Having read the first and last, I can say that there is little useful information in them except in a historical context. Much of it is either well known or so totally obsolete as to be nearly useless. Many terms are no longer in use and most test methods are obscure to the modern worker.

But, there they are. Sorry that I could not locate the intermediate ones.

PE

Alan Johnson
01-25-2009, 09:28 AM
PE,
Do you know if Kodak published any of their more recent researches,eg on T-grain emulsions,where the grain shape was changed and dyes were used to control spectral sensitivity and lateral light diffusion I believe?
Also,the pioneering ascorbate work with Xtol.
Is it possible to say what journal(s) might have the info,if any?
Thanks.

Kirk Keyes
01-25-2009, 09:32 AM
This seems to be one:
"Chemical Reactions of the Photographic Latent Image Volume I (Monographs on the Theory of Photography From the Kodak Research Laboratories, No. 6)" by E.R. Bullock, 1927.

Kirk Keyes
01-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Another:
"The Physics of the Developed Photographic Image: Monographs on the Theory of Photography, from the Research Laboratory of the Eastman Kodak Company No.5" by F.E Ross, 1924, 217 pp.

Kirk Keyes
01-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Are these part of the same series:
"Abridged Scientific Publications from the Kodak Research Laboratories (Volumes 8, 9, 10 and 11 Bound as One Volume, For Years: 1924, 1925, 1927)"

"Abridged Scientific Publications from the Kodak Research Laboratories (Volumes 12, 13, and 14 Bound as One Volume, For Years: 1928, 1929, 1930)"

"Abridged Scientific Publications from the Kodak Research Laboratories (Volumes 27 and 28 Bound as One Volume, Years 1945-1946)"

"Abridged Scientific Publications from the Kodak Research Laboratories(Volume 33, Year 1951)"

"Abridged Scientific Publications from the Kodak Research Laboratories(Volumes 34, 35 and 36 Bound as One Volume, Years 1952, 1953 and 1954)"

Photo Engineer
01-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Kirk;

In the case of the Scientific Publications, this may be a collection of articles from the SPSE Journal. I have some of those as well and they do not fall into the same category.

I have "The Role of Silver Halide Solvents in Development" which was originally a scientific publication in a journal, then a reprint and then part of a collected booklet. So the monograph series is apparently separate from the scientific publications and also each is numbered as a series.

There is also the monograph on Color Photography by Kapecki and Rodgers.

Alan;

I have published a whole set of patents in another thread that addresses much of what you ask about emulsions and film. I have no citations for the Xtol work, but can refer you to patent work by R. Henn, W. Lee and R. Dickerson.

PE

Photo Engineer
02-20-2009, 01:25 PM
I now have the names to the first 8 Kodak monographs.

The first 3 are above.

#4. Aerial Haze and its Effect on Photography from the Air (no author or editor given)
#5. The Physics of the Developed.... (as above post by Kirk)
#6. Gelatin in Photography Volume II by Sheppard.
#7. Investigations on Fixing Baths by Hartt and Crabtree
#8. The Theory of Tone Reproduction by Jones.

These are the sum total of the numbered monographs that I could find. I believe there is another on Sensitometry and Densitometry, but I cannot find it at the present moment. I had a copy at one time or another.

I'm still looking. There are literally thousands of books in my library here.

PE