PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio bi-monthly gathering

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Jeff Bannow
02-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Great news. What motel do you like? We will send Chandler there.

John

You know, I can't remember where we booked ....

jp80874
02-15-2009, 02:55 PM
You may enjoy an excellent review of the Edward Weston show in the Akron Beacon Journal today. http://www.ohio.com/entertainment/39630137.html

I was high in my earlier price statement on the show catalog. They got a special volume discount. “There is a rather gorgeous catalog available, which is also rather expensive, but not as expensive as it would be elsewhere. Edward Weston: Life Work is $149.95 at the museum store. Online at Amazon.com, it's $195, and its regular list price is $198.” That still is a lot of money right now.

Peter Spangenberg asked me yesterday if the prints were vintage. “Most of the images seen here are from Weston's family, for whom he reserved his best prints. And all are vintage photographs, meaning they were printed by the artist shortly after he shot the image, which is important, because they represent Weston's original vision.”

Dolly and I saw the exhibit again yesterday. The more I see, the more I want to see. We will be back. Hope you join us.

John & Dolly Powers

Nicholas Lindan
02-15-2009, 03:29 PM
"Forms of Passion" is one of the best books of Weston's work, duotone prints, large, and sold new for $40! You can still find it reasonably priced on the used market, but some sellers are asking loony-tunes prices.

I'm not too sure about the worth of "vintage ... printed shortly after taking the picture." The Cleveland Museum's A. Adams show (early 90's?) had series of prints made over the years from the same negative and it was interesting to see how his vision of the image changed over time. The worst prints were usually the early ones, then came the peak of interpretation, the last tended to be overwrought and lacking in any visual excitement. The Adams show that came through a few years ago, all drawn from a private collection, was loaded with these late and lifeless prints.

I would be interested to see the same of Weston: first prints, peak prints, the denouement and finally Bret's interpretations.

jp80874
02-15-2009, 05:11 PM
The Dayton show, 3-4 years ago, had a good and inexpensive paper back show book, "Edward Weston, A Photographer's Love of Life". The curator recommeneded that in addition to the show book I locate a copy of "Forms of Passion". eBay provided and I agree with Nicholas that it is one of the best Weston books.

Now if I could just be the proud owner of the collection Nicholas describes I would happily stage the exhibit.

John

winger
02-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I booked a room at the Hampton Inn Richfield (it's on Brecksville Rd). I'm planning on driving over Sat morning (promise I'll get up and going early) and meeting up with you all at the restaurant John mentioned (still need directions or could meet partway there).
I can't wait!

Lee L
02-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Bo Loong Chinese Restaurant
3922 Saint Clair Ave NE
Cleveland, OH 44114
(216) 391-3113
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=bo+loong+cleveland+oh&sll=41.48215,-81.817235&sspn=0.43673,0.837708&ie=UTF8&cd=1&z=14&iwloc=A

A Google maps street view of the front of the restaurant, on the south side of the street. The Marathon gas station at the corner of St. Clair and East 40th is on the left of this view.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=bo+loong+cleveland+oh&sll=41.48215,-81.817235&sspn=0.43673,0.837708&ie=UTF8&cd=1&ll=41.516025,-81.665121&spn=0,359.996728&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.516117,-81.664924&panoid=Da7W8ZVQa7frEGraFXtSbg&cbp=12,161.53352524860364,,0,-0.16393442622951088

Lee

jp80874
02-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Bethe, Happy to read you are coming. If you can get to our house by 10 AM, Saturday, you are welcome to ride in with Dolly and me. Park in the driveway rather than down in the camping area. We would probably have to float your car out from the camping area with the inflatable rubber dingy. Let us know if we should expect you.

Shawn, did we ever figure out why you went to a different restaurant last visit? You said it was good, but we would like to enjoy your company at Bo Loong. Your friend Gene Paulson is welcome if he can join us.

Lee, thanks for the directions and address. Please know that Barbara and the boys are welcome to join us.

John

Shawn Dougherty
02-26-2009, 10:14 PM
John,
I'm going to be out west from March 6th through the 11th which means I'll be in full on film processing mode by then... I'll mostly likely just either show up for 9 o'clock coffee Sunday or meet up with everyone at the exhibit. Gene will probably be with me either way. I'm itching to get back to the Ritchie ledges though... Surely for good weather later on in the spring. Hope everyone is well! Shawn

winger
02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Lee and John, thank you both! John, if I can get out of here early enough, I'll take you up on the ride offer - can I call you that morning en-route to let you know if I'll be on time? If I don't get moving fast enough, that map is already saved to my phone, Lee.

jp80874
02-27-2009, 06:26 AM
John,
I'm going to be out west from March 6th through the 11th which means I'll be in full on film processing mode by then... I'll mostly likely just either show up for 9 o'clock coffee Sunday or meet up with everyone at the exhibit. Gene will probably be with me either way. I'm itching to get back to the Ritchie ledges though... Surely for good weather later on in the spring. Hope everyone is well! Shawn

Happy to have you both when ever you show. Call home if you need directions. PM here if you need the phone number. Bring stories and/or prints from your adventure west.

John

jp80874
02-27-2009, 06:33 AM
"I'm planning on driving over Sat morning (promise I'll get up and going early)"

if I can get out of here early enough, I'll take you up on the ride offer - can I call you that morning en-route to let you know if I'll be on time? If I don't get moving fast enough, that map is already saved to my phone, Lee.

Does anyone else see a difference in determination between the two statements? We will leave soon after 10 AM to go into Cleveland. You are welcome to call any time after 7 AM. Join us if you can. PM if you need the phone number.

John

djkloss
02-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Does anyone know anything about this hostel? I'm thinkin' about it....

http://www.stanfordhostel.com/

jp80874
02-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Does anyone know anything about this hostel? I'm thinkin' about it....

http://www.stanfordhostel.com/

Our Hiking Hounds group has parked (barked) in their parking lot to use as an approved starting point for our Sunday morning five milers. There have always been a lot of guests who seemed happy out walking. Two walked off with Savannah throwing her her stick. The hostel is always full when there is a bike or running event in the park, but it is also the nearest place to stay. The Towpath is less than a 1/4 mile away. It is also very close to the ski area and the three waterfalls. The location can't be beat and I read in some review that the breakfast muffins are great. That is all I know.

John

jp80874
03-02-2009, 10:05 AM
For those interested in joining us Saturday, March 21, 2009 to see the Lee Friedlander exhibit, here is Steven Litt, Plain Dealer Art Critic’s review.

“Lee Friedlander exhibit at Cleveland Museum of Art speaks volumes”
http://www.cleveland.com/arts/index.ssf/2009/03/lee_friedlander_exhibit_at_cle.html

Saturday, March 21, we meet for early lunch 11:00 AM at the Bo Long Chinese restaurant where many of us met before. This is less than a mile from the Cleveland Museum of Art. Saturday afternoon I would encourage you to hear “Friedlander Talks”, 2:30 PM, Tom Hinson, CMA Curator of Photography. The museum is open until 5 PM.

Bo Loong Chinese Restaurant
3922 Saint Clair Ave NE
Cleveland, OH 44114
(216) 391-3113
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...1&z=14&iwloc=A

A Google maps street view of the front of the restaurant, on the south side of the street. The Marathon gas station at the corner of St. Clair and East 40th is on the left of this view.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...93442622951088

(from) Lee

We will meet at our house in Bath for pizza, show and tell and talk Saturday evening. 9 AM, Sunday morning, coffee and gab at our house, then off to the Akron Museum of Art for more Friedlander and Edward Weston. The Akron Art Museum opens at 11 AM. There is free parking across the street.

PM me if you are coming. PM me if you need directions to any of this.

Dolly and I are looking forward to your visit, seeing what new work you have done and the museum shows.

John & Dolly Powers

jp80874
03-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Just thought I would mention, of interest to at least one member of the group. as of Sunday there was a small sign attached to the main sign at the Country Maid, home made, ice cream store and "manufacturing facility" (one churn). The add on sign reads, “See you in March”. It does not say what date in March. The driveway is still closed by lock and chain, so I could not stop to inquire. There is fresh snow on the ground today, Monday, March 2nd. I realize this is incomplete information and I should not have posted it until I had more specific information, but I couldn’t help myself. I am looking forward to the peach flavor with real peaches from their orchard myself. Dolly prefers penuche.

“Penuche is a fudge-like candy made from brown sugar, butter, and milk, using no flavorings except for vanilla. Penuche often has a tannish color… Wikipedia

John

jolefler
03-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm tentatively in for the two days of activities. Living North and East, I may just opt to meet you all in Town....

though Paprikash/Chinese food/home made ice cream have some appeal. :D

Jo

Jeff Bannow
03-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Mmmm ..... ice cream .....

winger
03-02-2009, 11:39 AM
I hope the 21st/22nd is late enough in March for ice cream! Maybe someone at Country Maid lurks here and realized they could make a profit that weekend.

Shawn Dougherty
03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Just talked to my buddy Gene. We're planning to be there for 9 o'clock coffee Sunday morning, John. Looking forward to it! Shawn

jp80874
03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Just talked to my buddy Gene. We're planning to be there for 9 o'clock coffee Sunday morning, John. Looking forward to it! Shawn

Great. I don't think the Country Maid will be open that early so we may have Jeff, Eva, Bethe, Dale, Jo, possibly Lee. Dorothy, Nicholas, Peter, Bob and Ann are you coming? Bill Mitchell called and said he might join us for part of this. Any Michiganders coming down?

John