PDA

View Full Version : Fifty one year old Kodak documentary

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Ray Rogers
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
The only equipment run by air pressure were mixers.

How was emulsion moved around the lab, to and from de-aeriation, and to the coating heads?

With 24 cans in the CTB

CTB?

Larger scales used huge electric mixers, many with shrouds to prevent arcing when solvents were added.

Could you say a bit more on this?
Do you mean the solvents might catch fire?

I have observed underwater arcing? sparking? once or twice when "bumping" the heating/mixing equipment... I was quite surprised!

Photo Engineer
02-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Ray;

I moved the emulsion by cart in 1 L - 20 L containers with light-tight covers. What?

CTB = Constant Temperature Bath.

Solvents can catch fire due to arcing in electric and electronic equipment. So yes, there was a potential hazard. The mixer motor was above the solution. It cannot be below or it would short out.

PE

Louis Nargi
02-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks, interesting to see how its done.

dyetransfer
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi Ray - when I visited Fotokemika in Croatia, there was about a 50:50 mix of men and women working. The emulsion chemist was a woman, the coating engineer was a man, two women did all the mixing and chemistry work, young men clambered all over the coating machine in the dark looping up the emulsion on the dryer, and a mix of men and women worked the slitting boxing and inspection area.

Regards - Jim

Ray Rogers
02-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi Ray - when I visited Fotokemika in Croatia, there was about a 50:50 mix of men and women working. The emulsion chemist was a woman, the coating engineer was a man, two women did all the mixing and chemistry work, young men clambered all over the coating machine in the dark looping up the emulsion on the dryer, and a mix of men and women worked the slitting boxing and inspection area.

Regards - Jim

Interesting. That sounds atypically well intergrated, but I guess we are missing data for the total numbers employed, rather than just what we have actually seen in pictures and first hand.

I wonder if there is more equality between the sexes in Croatia in general?

John Shriver
02-04-2009, 07:41 PM
The film being spooled is Verichrome Pan. So this movie has to be made after the introduction of Verichrome Pan in 1957. Also, the emulsion of the film being loaded is grey, if it were Verichrome (ortho), it would be a bright magenta color.

So perhaps Kodak chose to use an absolutely obsolete coating machine for the part of the film that was "sensitive" to competitors. Or maybe they used more obsolete technology for Verichrome Pan, and saved the newer coating machines for the professional films? Or, since Verichrome Pan was by far the most popular film in 1957, they were using both old and new machines to make it, just for capacity reasons.

Interesting that the spooling machine is spooling either 620 or 616 size film. I suppose it would be easy to tell from the pattern of frame numbering.

David A. Goldfarb
02-04-2009, 08:22 PM
I wonder if there is more equality between the sexes in Croatia in general?

Generally in the East Bloc, gender equality was encouraged in professional and industrial spheres under Communism, so there is quite a large proportion of women in medicine, engineering, and the sciences compared to the West, but women were still expected to play a large role in raising children and in the household, so while there was equality in some spheres, it wasn't exactly universal.

Photo Engineer
02-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Generally, Kodak was very sensitive to the positive mutagenic or teratogenic properties of some chemicals and so they were quite conservative. There were a lot of women managers and researchers. The Asst Dir of Res was a woman and quite a superb emulsion maker.

PE

Ray Rogers
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
The Asst Dir of Res was a woman and quite a superb emulsion maker.PE

JS?

Photo Engineer
02-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Yes. Judy!

Thinking it over, this requires a considerable effort on your part to just look up such trivia, whereas for me it is easy as I knew her personally.

PE

Ray Rogers
02-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Yes. Judy!

Thinking it over, this requires a considerable effort on your part to just look up such trivia, whereas for me it is easy as I knew her personally.

PE

You are indeed very lucky!

Photo Engineer
02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Ray;

A point was missed here. You are spending a lot of time and mental capacity just looking up trivial information on Kodak people. It is a curious thing to me that you would devote so much time to this effort.

I was indeed lucky to know her and many of the other great figures of the time.

PE

AgX
02-06-2009, 05:35 AM
PE,

There are a few members here at Apug who devote quite a lot of their time looking back into the history of the industry.
Especially as this complex is merely covered by photo-historians up to now, I consider this a useful employment of time. (Of course one can argue about the usefulness of any kind of historic research.)

The same time we should not forget to look ahead.
One can go both ways...

Photo Engineer
02-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Oh, I know that. I love to read historical texts, but to me this just does not seem to be history. I lived it as an everyday job. These people were people that I met with, saw in the hall and waved to or who we used to have division parties with, not some mythical historical giants. And, it isn't that long ago either. Or, I am ancient!

PE

Kirk Keyes
02-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Err, do we have to answer that last question?! ;^)

wildbillbugman
02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Whatever is mundane today will be History(albeit obscure History) 50-100 years from now.
Bill

Photo Engineer
02-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Err, do we have to answer that last question?! ;^)

Ummm, I didn't see a question mark at the end of that sentence.

:)

PE

AgX
02-06-2009, 12:45 PM
There is a minor error in the comment of that film:

After a reference that cellulose-ester has been created, again it is referred to cellulose being powdered, before it is stated that cellose-ester is brought in contact with a solvent to form the liquid form of the base.

Kirk Keyes
02-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Ummm, I didn't see a question mark at the end of that sentence.

It was near the end of the sentence. That's OK, we're all getting old!

Tom Kershaw
02-06-2009, 07:41 PM
The Kodak video seems to suggest that Kodak produced the whole bundle of materials that go into a sensitized film product (mixing tenses). Is this an accurate observation?

Tom.