PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 16 Results and Feedback ...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Pete H
03-11-2009, 01:29 PM
After a few quiet days, 3 more cards arrived today :)

Nate's beaten up old car wheel and other lumber. It's amazing how photogenic junk can be!
Wayne has sent a lighthouse at Portland: how greatto be able to go for a walk from your house and get a view like that.
Ross has made a beautiful night shot of Prague in colour. Good composition and the dominant bronze colour is wonderful.

Thanks all!

Pete

kraker
03-11-2009, 02:54 PM
It's not only my printing that's slow this round, it's also my commenting on received cards. These two great cards have been on my desk for about a week now:

Allen Friday: Grain Elevator, absolutely wonderful. Reminds me of the work of Bernd and Hilla Becher. If only we had buildings like that over here, I would be photographing them all the time.
Pete H: Strong image, strong lines, and very interesting toning.

Thanks!

(And in case you didn't guess: mine are not printed yet... :( )

johnnywalker
03-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Latest cards to show up are: Allen Friday's grain elevator - nice tones and composition, and I like the "old" in front of the "new"; Jon King's cigarettes - well done, the first thing my wife wanted to do when she saw it was brush the ashes; Warren Hinder's overpass - reminds me of a science fiction time tunnel, great; and Tim Gray's doublet of the angry girl - the two pictures go very well together.

rst
03-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Mine got into the mail today. My daughter also has printed her postcards, but she has to label and write them. So I think she will put her cards into the mail next week.

And in the meantime I got two more postcards. One from rossawilson1. Indeed an atmospheric one and one of the rare color postcards. And I got the card from Simplicius, The Road Ahead, a funny card, at least it made me smile.

Cheers
Rüdiger

Pete H
03-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Today I also received The Road Ahead, from Simplicius. :) It's very well composed - were you sitting down?

cheers
Pete

Simplicius
03-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Today I also received The Road Ahead, from Simplicius. :) It's very well composed - were you sitting down?

cheers
Pete

probably, I tend to spend a lot of time on or near to the ground when shooting street. Glad you liked it.
rst: Glad it made you smile
Sile: Probably will spend Paddy's Day in a darkroom, It's going to be raining after all,It ALWAYS does!

Pete H
03-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Peter Markowski's card came today. I like the way the tracks in the mud curve behind the overhanging trees.

Pete H

Pete H
03-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi Rüdiger. Your card arrived today. I like the idea of using a pinhole camera to express the mists of time. It looks very bleak now. Whenever I visit a castle I think of how it might have been, with people and animals and tapestries: life and colour. I bet those places smelled pretty bad too, with animals running about and no modern plumbing!

There is a challenge for everybody: make a picture which evokes a smell in the mind of the viewer. :p

cheers
Pete

OMU
03-16-2009, 02:38 PM
My cards went by the post this morning on their way round the globe.

The last week I have resaved postcards from
Roger Bulrock, his lovely photo from the pine forest. Lovely tones and details in the photo.
Shannon Friday: I’m amazed of the postcard travelling all the way from New Zealand. Seems as the whether are changing rapidly? The sun bracing true the threatening dark clouds and quiet weather.
Warren Hinder send me a postcard with a strong geometric composition.

Thanks to all off you.
This is my first exchange round. I will certainly participate in the next round. 

Best regards
OMU

drpsilver
03-17-2009, 12:18 AM
16 Mar 2009

Two cards arrived today.

Peter Markowski's card came today. I like the way the tracks in the mud curve behind the overhanging trees.

I agree. Nicely done, and well printed. Must be a real problem not having snow, and the resulting water. In California we are very close to water rationing because of low snow fall for three years straight.

The other card came from bpaties. I like how this image draws the viewer into this gate. I would be tempted to wander around until told to leave. Boyd, I am glad you liked my card, and that it arrived int the "land down under" safely.:) Welcome to the exchange!

Regards,
Darwin

johnnywalker
03-17-2009, 01:52 AM
I also received Peter's postcard today. I really like the composition of the overhanging trees, the patterns in the dirt, and the barn and horses which balance out the picture nicely. I also like how the tone gradually changes from the bottom right to the top left.

Darwin, one of my neighbours has put a big plywood sign up which says, "Free Snow". Maybe we got your supply as well as ours. It should be going fast by now, but I still have 2-3 feet in my yard and I'm tired of it to say the least.

BWKate
03-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Been very busy and have not commented on the latest batch of cards I've received.
PeteH: your duo toned image from the Louvre is very striking. Like the perspective and the subject.
Jon King: What an interesting subject! I'm also not a fan of smoking but am a big fan of trying out different kinds of material to photograph. Great idea and good luck with it. Well done! I think the first image is quite successful.
Warren-Wazza: Love your overpass image, full of lovely tones and very mysterious. I'm a big fan of mystery as well! Thanks for your kind comment about my previous postcard offering. Post a link when your book is published so we can see what it looks like!
Allen Friday: Your large format image of a grain elevator just glows! Beautiful print and interesting subject.
Shannon Friday: Enjoyed your postcard very much! What kind of boat is in the water?

Pete H
03-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Boyd, thanks for the card. I often think that stone cherubs are up to something - the one on the right of your shot is definitely less innocent than he is pretending!

cheers
Pete

kraker
03-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Three more arrived this week:

Peter Markowsi: I like the composition and the print. Well-balanced!
Roger Bulcock: Ferns in the undergrowth and the tall straight trees make for a pleasing composition.
rst: You really have thought this out, a reason to use the Zero 2000. Works for me. Thanks for your comments on the previous card.

And me? I'm planning to print somewhere in the coming week (no, really!). Still haven't settled on a negative, but I have a few candidates. Rüdiger, your postcard gave me the idea to have a look at some of my Zero 2000 negatives...

rossawilson1
03-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Didn't know the commenting was going on!

So thanks for the comments so far! Here's some of my thoughts on the brilliant prints I've been sent..

Reidiger - Pinhole, COOL.. what a dreamy shot, and in a forest too, double cool!
Roger - What a place, strong composition and great details, love it!
Allen - I want to go there, how cool is that, wonderfully isolated composition, fascinating!
Jon - Love the texture and the tones, real 3D quality, repelled and drawn in all at once!
Darwin - Beautiful, compelling, and the tone.. busted dreams never looked so good!
Mark - Monkey! Wonderful subject.. cool eyes.. fab print!
Jake - What is this paper, fascinating.. moody and beautiful, did I dream this??
Tim - Love the side by side, I wanna try! What an expression, great character shot, makes me smile!
Pete - Did you take this in your dreams?? Wonderful tone and details, beautiful and atmospheric!
Warren - Powerful composition, love this, always draws me in!
Lillian - Drama rolling in over suburbia.. and the light on the buildings, wonderful contrast!
Shannon - Is that a cloud or an island behind, I like that it could be either, beautifully lonely!

These are all going up on my wall for all to admire! Thank you!

rst
03-18-2009, 05:10 PM
And me? I'm planning to print somewhere in the coming week (no, really!). Still haven't settled on a negative, but I have a few candidates. Rüdiger, your postcard gave me the idea to have a look at some of my Zero 2000 negatives...And that would be very welcome on my side.

Cheers
Ruediger

BWKate
03-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Received two very interesting postcards today!
Simplicious: Cool shot of a fellow with an image of Che on his shirt. I did enjoy!
Roger Bulcock: Ethereal large format image of birch trees and frozen grass. Awesome!

drpsilver
03-18-2009, 11:28 PM
18 Mar 2009

Ruediger:

I received you card today. I like the strong foreground, it draws the viewer into the image. I also like the connection between an unsharp image and fuzzy details of history. I cannot imagine building, and living, in a castle like this.

Thank you for you comments on my card. I am glad you like it.

Regards,
Darwin

rst
03-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Pete, Jacco, Ross, Darwin,

I am glad you like the postcard and thanks for the kind comments. For me the postcard is a good way to gather some feedback and to find out if the concept of that project works.

All,

My daughters postcards go into the mail today. I am not on her list, but I convinced her that it is a good idea to send one to me - I mean, she used my camera, that is worth a postcard. And she gets one of mine anyway ;)

Cheers
Ruediger

rst
03-20-2009, 06:14 AM
Four more cards arrived at my door which I have not commented yet

Peter Markowski sent a nice and as I think very calm view of a Farm Near Edmonton. Thanks Peter, I like it. Boyd sent Toowoomba Cherubs which I like. Especially how the right one stands out in light. But I like doors too. Roger Bulcock sent a contact print with a group of birch trees in fog. Besides the composition - which I like - and the print on the spot I have to say wow, what a huge amount of detail and what a great tonality in this image. And that rst guy sent an image of an old castle. Well, if he likes castles ...

Cheers
Ruediger