PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 16 Results and Feedback ...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Roger Bulcock
03-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Some notes on the cards I have received so far:

Pete H - Louvre. Beautiful split tone print. You could write a story about this scene
Wayne - Lighthouse. Great print
Warren - Overpass. Nice composition
Allen - Grain Elevator. Great print lovely tonal detail
Jake - Shadow Glass. Nice still life.
Barry - Watership Down. Beautiful. You captured the essence of a misty day on the downs
John A - Dakota. Great print full of character
Tim - Angry. Nice print. You can almost feel the tension
Ritchie - Taxi. Nice tone. Good reportage
Darwin - Shack. Good image. Make you think of the current financial climate
Trotkiller - Homestead. Great detail with nice tones
Mark F - Monkeys. Great tone, made me smile
Jon K - Cigarettes. Good high contrast image
Shannon F - Milford Sound. Nice print great sense of scale
Lillian S - Clevedon Seafront. Nice print
Ross W - Prague. Atmospheric scene, good composition

Thank you all
Roger

Pete H
03-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Roger, your card arrived here today. You just can't beat the tonality of a contact print, and Rievaulx is a great place for large format!

Also thanks to Judith for the dog in the forest of legs. It's a very dynamic composition and the legs frame the dog very well. :)

cheers
Pete

Black Dog
03-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Ross-the paper is Forte Polywarmtone.Sadly there is no more Forte paper but luckily I still have a stock:D.

Simplicius
03-23-2009, 05:54 PM
3 more cards in last week:

#12: Ruediger’s Castle Altdahn: Wonderful image, love the harmony of your idea of pinhole and mystery of castles. Nice to see Neopan Acros in Xtol, 1&1 …

#13: Peter M’s Edmonton Sleigh Ride sans snow: Ok where to start fantastic detail and sharpness even in thickest trees, super tones and now I get a little more why Leica’s are raved about.

#14: Rodger Bulcock’s Trees Scrachface Lane: Fantastic textures and light and shadow --

BWKate
03-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Received Rst's: beautiful pinhole image of a castle in Germany. I enjoyed it very much! Makes me want to try pinhole but alas have barely any time just to use my 35mm camera! As soon as my darkroom is finished then I can finally print again!!!!!
My postcards are in the process of being written on.... i'll post when i pop them in the mail.

drpsilver
03-24-2009, 06:50 PM
24 Mar 2009

Received jst's card. I also like the composition, and the perspective from the dog's level. Well done!:)

Regards,
Darwin

johnnywalker
03-25-2009, 02:43 AM
I've received Ruediger's Castle Altdahn. A lovely image, full of mystery. Also Pete H's wet tiled street (or sidewalk?). Whatever, it evokes a cold and wet feeling, well done. And, last but not least, a double from Roger Bulcock - one a nice composition of a very ancient abbey with great tones and second a grove of perfectly exposed birch trees in winter.
They are all very well done. In fact all of the photos I've received since joining the Postcard Exchange make me feel like I should do something with them - like make a mural and hang it somewhere, although if I continue with this I'd soon run out of room. You are all hard acts to follow, and I think I'd better start looking for my next negative.

Pete H
03-25-2009, 03:47 AM
Anke's cyanotype from the Blue Forest arrived yesterday. Graphic simplicity set off by the paper texture. :)

Pete

drpsilver
03-27-2009, 12:17 AM
26 Mar 2009

MattKing:

I received your card from of peeling bark. This trait of the Arbutus tree is similar to the Madrone tree here in California. The cool thing is that I know where Gabriola Island is located. My sister-in-law lives on Salt Spring Island, and have visited her many times. I cannot count how many times my wife and I have passed through Tsawwassen on our way to Salt Spring Island. You live in a really beautiful area.

Thanks for the card.

Regards,
Darwin

MattKing
03-27-2009, 12:24 AM
Darwin:

I'm glad you liked the card, and impressed that it got to you so quickly. It was sent on Monday.

When you pass through Tsawwassen, you are about 5 minutes away from my home. Next time, you should consider calling ahead :).

I've been wracking my brain to try to figure out the best way to contribute to the current "Monthly" shooting assignment (I know how spoiled we are).

Matt

ozphoto
03-27-2009, 03:10 AM
Hi all.
Apologies for not updating on the cards I've received - been a very busy few months!

To date I've got cards from the following:

Wazza
Ruediger
Sly
Ross Wilson
Roger Bulcock
Thomsonrc
Darwin
Balck Dog
Allen Friday
Jon King
Mark Fisher
Simplicius
JohnnyWalker
Peter Markowski
Pete H
Bwakel
Boyd
Trotkiller
Mike Wilde
Shannon Friday
Tim Gray

My have just gone out - looking forward to more arriving soon.

- Nanette :)

wazza
03-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Great Cyanotype Anke, very subtle, to answer your enquiry the overpass on my image is a pedestrian overpass on the great western highway, the main western highway out of Sydney. It is about 80 kms out of Sydney and 1,000 metres in altitude so we often have lovely dense mists. Living in a world heritage listed area provides some wonderful photo opportunities.
regards
wazza

drpsilver
03-27-2009, 05:44 PM
27 Mar 2009

A cyanotype from Anke Drewitz. It is indeed subtle and imaginative. I like the title "Black Forest in Blue".:) Very well done. Did you create a mask for the shape of the exposed area, or was the paper coated in a random fashion?

Anke, glad you liked the image I selected this round.

Regards,
Darwin

aluk
03-27-2009, 06:16 PM
My cards went out today. Thanks to everyone who has sent me theirs so far. I finally got a proper pen to replace the giant permanent marker I used for the last exchange, so I was able to actually write something on the postcards this time :)

Pete H
03-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks, MattKing for the peeling bark. It's very sharp and the toning sets it off nicely.

cheers
Pete

sage
03-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Apologies that I'll be late again this round, some money troubles happened before I could get the last ones printed off, I'm going to try and get them sent out by the end of next week.

Mark Fisher
03-28-2009, 09:10 PM
I loved Anke's image. Snow is a great subject for cyanotype. I'm organizing a post card exchange at work (we have 8 locations and at least a few photographers in each). I may have to do some quick cyanotypes just to show the mostly digital crowd what a cyanotype is!

Pete H
03-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks Samad Asad, for the policeman. Just be careful about taking that kind of shot if you visit the UK!

cheers
Pete

kraker
03-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Two more received last week:

Anke's cyanotype was a big surprise, an extra postcard; Ruediger's program didn't put us on the same list, yet I received this beautiful cyanotype. Thanks for the surprise, Anke!
Samad's "Policeman doing his job"; as Pete said, be careful, not all policemen in all countries like to be photographed. Thanks.

And my postcards? Well, they are all printed, and I'm in the process of writing and sending them.
About half of them went in the mail today: all people of whom I have received a card (17 to date) can expect my card soon. The other cards will be sent out over the next few days.

This just in... after mailing the first batch, I came home and found a card of crispinuk on the doormat. Re-enactment scene, nice picture, thanks!

OMU
03-31-2009, 06:13 AM
Hi,
I had the pleasure to receive postcards from Crispinuk and Samed yesterday
The one from Crispinuk is an amusing picture of to men with their bagpipes and from Samed a postcard from a part of the world I’ll probably newer see my self. It’s a view of alor Star. This is my first exchange round, and this is fun!
I’ll definitely be in for the next round. Thanks to both of you.