PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 16 Results and Feedback ...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

Anke Drewitz
03-31-2009, 07:09 AM
A cyanotype ...
Did you create a mask for the shape of the exposed area, or was the paper coated in a random fashion?

Thank you, Pete H and, wazza for your kind words and wazza for your additional statement about your subject.

And kraker, I'm glad about that successful surprise :D

drpsilver, here was no mask, just free coating of the paper mostly within the boundaries set by the negative. I had to dealt with a low contrast negative and this was the best way to present it. So I'm very glad to hear the comments so far, but I don't mind to get some constructive critics.

Greetings,
Anke

Anke Drewitz
03-31-2009, 07:31 AM
And I have just to report about the next cards I received:
Roger Bulcock's contact with Birch trees in the mist
Peter Markowski's Farm near Edmonton, a calm landscape with lot of room to let my mind wander
just two cards from Black dog with "shadows and floss" and "dead objects come to life", a homage to Josef Sudek, both cards with a lot of possibilities for interpretations; you have one card in advance for the next round ;)
Samad Asad's street scene from Alor star town, it's not so much crowdy as I remember from my different trips to asian towns :)
crispinuk's German, not historically suited minstrels; who were the combatants in this battle or what is the historical background?

So far this round, I have halftime, just 15 cards left, but I'm curious about a card from rst, as some people just reported about it in this round and I didn't get one, maybe they gave it really to a snail.

Thanks for all contributions so far,
Anke

Anke Drewitz
03-31-2009, 07:39 AM
Snow is a great subject for cyanotype.

Thats just the way I feel, a cold color for cold subjects :)
I made some variations with toning, but the blue represented this subject in the best way.

I may have to do some quick cyanotypes just to show the mostly digital crowd what a cyanotype is!

Oh, that's always a good thing, and I wish you that they can realize the features of this process.

Anke

johnnywalker
03-31-2009, 11:21 AM
I've received Anke's cyanotype of the forest. It's beautiful, and as others have said the colour suits the subject matter very well. My mother was born near the Black Forest, in a village named (I think) Huttenhofen (probably missing a few umlauts).

BirgerA
04-01-2009, 03:45 AM
I plan to get my cards printed over the weekend and sent out no later than early next week.

Pete H
04-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Today I received a great abstract, Magazines, from Jacco (kraker) and a very graphic shot of some frozen berries from Avi (aluk).
One of the great things about the postcard exchange is the variety of cards. I'm just comparing Jacco's low key and strong grain with Avi's high key, delicate tonality in the ice. Very different styles (and chosen well for the respective subjects) and very enjoyable.

:)

cheers
Pete

kraker
04-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Pete,

Thanks for your comments. Wow, mailed from the Netherlands on Monday, arrived in Norway on Wednesday. That's pretty good!

I've just finished writing the last card, so the remainder of my cards for this round will go in the mail tomorrow.

KWhitmore
04-02-2009, 09:56 AM
My cards are going in the mail today! My slacking off reached an all-time high this round...amazing.

tlsid
04-02-2009, 04:45 PM
for those who have been waiting patiantley for my card, you need not wait much longer. put them in the mail today after lugging them around for a few weeks.

david b
04-02-2009, 04:47 PM
My cards will be sent in about two weeks. Sorry for the delay

Samad Asad
04-03-2009, 02:01 AM
I received Aluk's card today - Frozen Berries. The layer of ice on the branches and berries, I like it. :). That will never happen here though. :) The fine point pen, makes me want to get one too, 0.3 probably for round 17. The one I currently used, is a bit thick.

Anyway, there are a number of other postcards that I have received, I will list them down over the next few posts.

Mick Fagan
04-03-2009, 04:21 AM
All of my cards except one, were sent out this week. I actually printed them last December (or maybe November) but held them back so that there would be a controlled and continuous stream of cards to peoples around the world.

It has been quite good to once again look at the interesting, and often thought provoking prints, landing in my letterbox.

I will remark about one print, that did have me thinking. I received print number 50, from a print run of 50, from Ozphoto.

I realised then that there were something like a few hundred, at least, original prints of mine, held in private collections around the world.

Not too many photographers can say that, eh? :D

This is another reason for being in the postcard exchange, definitely value for money.

Mick.

Pete H
04-03-2009, 11:41 AM
crispinuk's card arrived yesterday. I'm sure the beer gut is accurate, even if the rest wasn't. :) Thanks!

And Mick, I'm very proud to possess a few of your few hundred originals. Keep them coming!

cheers
Pete

johnnywalker
04-03-2009, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=Mick Fagan;777589
I realised then that there were something like a few hundred, at least, original prints of mine, held in private collections around the world.

Not too many photographers can say that, eh? :D
Mick.[/QUOTE]

One could do some quite good creative resume writing, book jackets and gallery write-ups with this!
Or the next time someone suggests going d*****, just mention that you're quite satisfied with film, and have a few hundred limited edition prints in private collections around the world.

Pete H
04-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Continuing the limited edition theme, I'm very pleased to have number 47 out of 50 from ozphoto. Thanks, Nanette. It makes a good abstract and I like the way you've caught the opalescence of the shell.

cheers
Pete

johnnywalker
04-04-2009, 10:26 AM
I received Crispin's German Pipers in England and Samad's street view of Alor Star in Malaysia last week. Well done, both. Samand's photo depicts downtown very well with all the motos and bikes lined up at the light. Those pipes the Germans have are huge and beautiful.

ozphoto
04-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Hey, I'm so glad the card arrived Pete - I sent a package to the UK over 3 weeks agao, and it still hasn't arrived. :(
Guess they made up for it - posted on Sunday night and you got this week, WOW!

KWhitmore
04-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Two cards from last week...
Crispin's German minstrels- very interesting shot...love those pipes! (and the big belly!) :)
Samad's Tower- nice cityscape, well done.

Thank you everyone for the amazing cards this round...it just keeps getting better and better!

BWKate
04-07-2009, 02:02 AM
I have received 4 cards in the last week and haven't posted for awhile...
Anke's: Black Forest in Blue- very sweet little cyanotype of a snow filled forest in Germany. I finally found your town of Jena in my new World Atlas I just purchased so I could find where my postcard buddies hail from. It's so much fun trying to find out!
Aluk's: Frozen berries from Montreal. Very graphic and almost abstract...Cool subject...literally..
Samad's: Policeman doing his job... don't think I'd want to run into him while there..interesting slice of life from far away...could be taken here as well. It's funny how universal some things are...
Ozphoto's: Enjoyed this one and also like to photograph shiny white shells in macro...Like your treatment of the subject matter..Well done. Thanks for your comment about the previous round.

kraker
04-07-2009, 02:39 AM
I finally found your town of Jena in my new World Atlas I just purchased so I could find where my postcard buddies hail from. It's so much fun trying to find out!

Kate, I've been thinking just the same thing while I was writing the cards this round. I start recognising the 2-letter-state codes of the USA, I see the same locations repeating round after round, and even within one round I start thinking "hey, didn't I send another card to the same state/city/... just now? Are these two people living in the same town, and if so, how big is this town?". I'm really getting curious about where you all are on the map ;).

A proper atlas sounds like a great idea; I was actually thinking of putting it all in Google Earth, cheaper but less fun. Maps... I can look at them for hours... :cool: