PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 16 Results and Feedback ...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

gordrob
04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Just to let you know my cards went out in the mail on Monday

Gord

drpsilver
04-08-2009, 11:34 PM
08 April 2009

Two more cards came in today. The card from KWhitmore is well done. It makes me ask what the graffiti was about and why above the chair (or was the chair an addition by someone else)? Thanks you for your kind words about my card, and I am glad that it inspired you.

The card from tlsid reminds me of the old, and sometimes abandoned, building that I like to photograph. What a story this photo could tell.

Thanks to both of you for such nice cards.

Regards,
Darwin

rst
04-09-2009, 03:02 AM
Since my last post I received several cards. A street view from Samad, Anke Drewitz sent the beautiful Black Forest cyanotype. kraker sent an image from his favourites series. I like it a lot. aluk sent frozen berries - I like this very graphic image. crispinuk sent an image of German minstrels. Very nice, it made me smile. MattKing sent an interesting detail of an arbutus tree. It looks like a painting to me. tlsid sent Chair, Jugs and Crates. Funny. Also funny is Guests Only from KWhitmore. Hopefully the guests pay before using the boat.

This is a great round.

Cheers
Ruediger

Mike Wilde
04-09-2009, 07:15 AM
In past rounds I have taken each card as it arrived, and slid it into a photo album page, so the set stays together. During this round I have been very busy at work, so usually all I have had the energy to do after a late dinner is sort the 'junk' mail from the 'real' mail, and leave the real mail in a pile for 'later' sorting. Well last night was that later, and I must have had 15 images to file away. What a great body of work, and there are still more arriving.

When a round is about 95% received I temporarily mount them to foam core board with a bit of cello tape on the top edge, and display them in my company lunch room for a few weeks. People are always hanging around waiting for the microwave, etc, and I always find people looking them over, and flipping them to see where they are from, etc. We collectively get a lot of complments that way.

Anke Drewitz
04-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi folks,

some more cards during the last days:
aluk's frozen berries, as nice as some previous comments said
Mick Fagan's rainy day with a car, love the captured gloss
ozphoto's shell study, I got the 49er :) too a nice gloss brought out
rst's castle Altdahn, another loss of details were added, the one who damaged some parts of this card ...
kraker's interesting texture of magazines as the answer to a surprise :rolleyes:

Thank you all for this nice round and all, who commented on my cards,
wish you happy easter!
Anke

Mick Fagan
04-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I've received a few more cards and I would like to mention the quality of presentation and printing from Katherine Whitmore.

Firstly the framing of the subject as presented is perfect, secondly the printing is superbly done, thirdly the humour of the "Guests Only" is great.

Finally, the slight trimming of the postcard stock paper as supplied from Ilford, for a perfectly sized (in direct proportion to the image itself) tells me that this postcard is a real representation of the photographer's complete professionalism.

Katherine, I'm impressed.

Mick.

KWhitmore
04-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Mick...would it be ok if I printed your comments and pinned them up in my darkroom? Thank you. (blush)

-K

Mick Fagan
04-10-2009, 09:26 AM
K, having something like this on your darkroom wall is good, if you start to slack off, a quick look and you will be back on track.

I have no problem with your request. :)

Mick.

drpsilver
04-10-2009, 04:50 PM
10 April 2009

Gordrob's card landed in my mail box yesterday, and was immediately struck by the contrast that IR gives. I like how Spike becomes the only subject of interest. Well done. Thank you for you comments, and am glad you liked my card.

Regards,
Darwin

wrench
04-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I just wanted to let you all know that my cards went in the mail today. I won't bore you with a list of reasons why it took so long to get them out, but I do apologize for the delay.
Best, Laura

johnnywalker
04-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I received Ozphoto's shell this week, a nice tonal study; also Avi's frozen berries (can't be that cold in Montreal, but we won't go there), very nicely done - the composition keeps my eyes going around and around the picture; and Mick's car, which just glows. Thanks all!

ozphoto
04-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Arrived home today to find 3 more wonderful cards waiting for me!

tlsid's - Jugs, Chair & Crates
Aluk's - Frozen Berries
Katherine's - Chair & Graffiti

Looking forward to more next week.

Pete H
04-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I got home from a trip to find two more cards waiting:
Mick Fagan's Morrie, with delicious reflections in the wet metal, and
Katherine Whitmore's Graffiti Chair. A mystery to me: what does it say? Why is there an empty chair outside like that? I enjoy these kinds of shots where you have to speculate about what's going on. :)

Pete

OMU
04-12-2009, 01:44 AM
I sent my cards the 16. of mars, nearly a month ago. But hasn’t heard from anyone yet. This is my first round and now I'm wondering if the snail mail really that slow or are they all lost?

kraker
04-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Thanks for your comments, Rüdiger and Anke. All my cards are sent (have been for about two weeks now), but so far, I have only seen comments from people on mainland Europe. I guess the intercontinental pigeons take "a bit" longer to get there. ;)

I have received three more since my last update:
tlsid: Chair, jugs and crates, a nice "natural composition", lots of things to see, nice find.
Ozphoto: shell collection. Very nice, a gem indeed. A silver look on silver paper. Oh, you may just have started a new fashion; next round we will all number our prints :D. It is true, it is a limited edition. Nice touch! Mine is 28/50, by the wat.
Mick Fagan, each round a completely different subject, but always something special. "Morrie", the texture is amazing. I believe you when you say that the dry ones are nothing in comparison. Stunning!

rst
04-14-2009, 05:37 AM
I can comment on three more great postcards.

ozphoto sent a really nice shell detail. I got no 1 of 50 :) Then Lynda joined me in sending pinholes and pinholes are always welcome. And gordrob sent a funny cat artwork made out of metal pieces. Infrared works very well with this subject. I like it.

So this continues to be a great round for me. Thanks to all of you.

Cheers
Ruediger

kraker
04-14-2009, 05:53 AM
ozphoto sent a really nice shell detail. I got no 1 of 50 :)

Haha, that's one of the few priviliges of being the organiser of this exchange... :p

Mick Fagan
04-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Kraker, I must plead guilty to not commenting on all postcards I have received. I've been a bit lax in that department, just sitting back (so to speak) and letting them come.

I have received your "Magazines" card and I did look very carefully at the composition and grain structure, very impressive, looks like favourites could be catching.

I cannot remember if I have commented on Anke's Cyanotype, but the colouring, form and texture as well as the subject are beautiful. I passed through a very small village called Zell, in very southern Germany in January this year, this is exactly how I remember the forest as we walked through it.

Arbutus, from Matt King, was an instant hit at my work as well as home, the Berg Copper toner has made me think I should at least try this with a suitable subject in the not too distant future. It is the best toned Ilford RC paper I can remember ever seeing. The tree looks like the Eucalyptus trees we have here, always shedding bark just like in your card.

The German minstrels in Crispin's Battle of Tewkesbury, really look a sthough they have plenty of Oom pa pa with their Doodle Sac instruments.

Terry Strong has a nice jumbled composition of Chair, Jugs and Crates found in a back alley. The ceramic jugs look very interesting and different to anything I have ever seen.

Samad, from above has a different view than many I have seen in Malaysia. I really like the vignetting effect around the edges, very well done.

Avi's frozen berries, I wonder what they woul dbe liek if you thawed them and then cooked them, probably not to flash I'd imagine.

Anthony with "The Road Ahead" reminds me of some demonstrations I saw in the centre of London about 30 + years ago, love his shades!

Ross, with his (rare in the postcard rounds) colour print, albeit with muted colours and looking monochromatic, but with hints of various colour renditions occurring here and there, very nice, but looks cold, which I'm sure it was.

Boyd, with his "Toowoomba Cherubs", they look as though they are serenading something behind the doors.

Peter Markowski's sleighless sleigh ride with idle horses in a paddock surrounded by a snow(ish) landscape looks wonderfully serene, especially with what looks like a small farm house in the background.

Roger Bulcock has a very interesting picture of an old Abbey, which is very much past it's use by date, very nice verticals and for a deserted building remarkably neat lawns.

Rüdiger, our esteemed organiser and master of the mail list, has sent a very impressive picture of a once massive old castle using hi spin hole camera. Another technique I perhaps one day will get around to doing.

Wayne from Maine, has sent a very good good portrayal of serenity with his lighthouse and sailing boat passing by. I wondered whether he used one of the empty seats for reflection either before are after he took the picture? Wayne, poetic licence with your name and abode.

"Dog and Legs", from Jst, shows a good sense of the artistic use one sees sometimes in the photographic medium. She has chosen the subject well, especially as the lens she had on the camera was perfectly suited for the subject. If ever she get the chance to use a 105mm Nikkor lens on the FE2, she may be very pleasantly surprised at the tremendous difference it makes over the 85mm lens.

Mick.

gordrob
04-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks Ruediger and Darwin for your comments- can't believe the speed of the postal service to Germany and the USA versus within Canada. Guess that's why we have to pay more for postcards going outside Canada.
Thanks again
Gord

kraker
04-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Kraker, I must plead guilty to not commenting on all postcards I have received. I've been a bit lax in that department, just sitting back (so to speak) and letting them come.

(...)

Wow, Mick, I feel I have unleashed a waterfall... I just mentioned something about slow pidgins, and this is the result? :o :D

That was some serious catching up on the commenting!

Anyway, thanks for your comments. ;)