PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 16 Results and Feedback ...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

david b
04-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi all,
I just purchased the stamps for this round and I am sorry to say, I think this is the last one I can do.

Stamps cost $35 and the paper was $35. Chemistry is kind of minor but still there.

Also, for those of us in the US, there is a new postage increase as of May 11. New prices here (http://www.usps.com/prices/pricechanges.htm?from=home_ftpromo&page=NewMay09Prices)

My card will go out this week. Hope you all like it. The cards I have been receiving have been simply awesome.

Mike Wilde
04-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Sorry to hear that you are pondering bailing, david. I have never had the benefit of a postcard rate, so for me here in Canada domestic postage for each card is 55 cents, usa 93, and international $1.55 or something close.

So I adapt; I would love to get every image that everone comments on, but instead I limit myself to 30 prints. I think it is good training for life in general - it would be great to do everything I want to, but there are limits to my resources (presently mostly time) in the big picture as well.

As to paper costs - I never use made for purpose postcard paper. I usually dig up whatever old paper I can find, not out of dis-respect to those I send the image yto, but rather as a challenge to myself. How can I use this stuff to suit my vision, etc.

david b
04-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Stamps for every place other than US and Canada will be 98 cents starting May 11. This round, I had to buy 25 of those stamps.

I happen to like the Ilford post card paper and it's part of my support for them, along with all of the film, paper, and chemistry I use.

mike c
04-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Dave go down to the postoffice and get those forever stamps,no matter how much the postage raises the stamps are still good at the higher price.

mike c
04-14-2009, 02:56 PM
OOPPS doesn't work with post cards.

Mick Fagan
04-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Hmmmm, postage costs, paper costs and then there are some chemical costs, as it is a hobby, time is not a factor.

Yes it is an imposition that I have felt, I have thought by reducing the amount of cards sent to a bare minimum, say 10 or 15 at a pinch, and I would still enjoy the exchange.

However each time I have come to the decision, I have been able to give up something else of a like value and do the exchange. I do of course know that one day I will simply run out of things to drop, plus there is a finite amount of money in the kitty.

Each exchange I do costs me around $100.00 minimum which multiplied by three times a year, is about $300.00.

Monetary costs of all hobby activities are rising and I cannot see them lowering too much, if at all. It is tough and most of us are doing it hard.

David B, if you still have the heart to do another round and you can afford to do another round, that would be great. If not, then the original prints we have of yours, will stay in our personal collections for us to peruse.

Mick.

ozphoto
04-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Two more cards arrived today:

Kraker's Magazines - like the grain and composition
Gordrob's Spikecat - my nieces loved this one today! I enjoyed seeing another IR image as well.

I too feel David's pain, but I decided to split the rounds so that I had a different number of cards for all three.
One is say 15-20, the second 25-30 and the third 35 - maximum I want to do. This round cost me about $65.00 for postage; the majority of that is due to most of the cards being OS addresses.

I took a leaf out of Mike Wilde's book and started to scour my local photo shop for "used" paper. This is normally stuff that gets traded in along with somebody's enlarger etc. The guys are great - usually they are happy to let me have it gratis, but sometimes they might charge me $5 for a few boxes. Most of it has been superb, so far only one box was totally fogged. Saves me $$ on buying new stock and also is a challenge to get right as well.

Hope to see you in another round David, but if you decide to rest for a while, I truly understand your reasons why and hope you'll join us again very soon.

- Nanette
www.nanettereid.com

david b
04-14-2009, 10:22 PM
I have one card going out this week for #16.

I might be interested in doing the next one. We'll see.

drpsilver
04-15-2009, 12:31 PM
15 April 2009

I completely understand David's position. I have been the fortunate recipient of lots of old paper. This has "freed up" funds to purchase postcard stock and postage. I hope to see David in Round 17, but I understand if he decides to take a rest.

Meanwhile, I have received several cards in the mail. The card from kraker is an interesting composition. I like how he took a very different perspective of the stack of magazines. Which brings me to the card I got from Lynda. The combination of pinhole and ground level perspective make this a really appealing image. Well done. The card from mikeg contains a message that we should keep constantly in our minds - keep hoping for better times (and then work toward achieving them). Mike you also got lucky with your Holga - sharp optics.

Regards,
Darwin

rst
04-15-2009, 03:09 PM
I can understand people who say "this exchange gets too expensive" and I do not want to complain about me having to send all but three postcards outside of Germany and most of them not even to participants in Europe which means 1 Euro per stamp. And then I also fund the stamps, paper, chemistry for Judith.

But I found a rather practical way to look at it: If I would use a digital camera, I would be able to do an email-postcard exchange at nearly no costs. But then I would have to buy that other better bigger nicer digital camera every year or two which would cost me thousands of Euros ... so the APUG postcard exchange is a much cheaper and nicer way to share my images and instead of sending bits and bytes I prefer to send silver and time. Time I spent in the darkroom to print an image for each of you, time to prepare the postcard for sending, time to go to the post office. And what I get back is your cards and your time. And I must say, it is worth it. And if I show up at the post office with a stack of 40-50 postcards: I feel good, much better than clicking that send button in my email program.

I may at some point in time decide to do fewer postcards for what ever reasons, but to give up on it ... no way.

All the best
Ruediger

david b
04-15-2009, 04:08 PM
I think I will do all of the even number exchanges. I still want to take part, but this will be a better way

ozphoto
04-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey David.
That's really great!
Looking forward to seeing your cards in Round 18.

_Nanette
www.nanettereid.com

Pete H
04-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Well, the way I see it I'm getting 40-50 really great limited edition prints for the money. :) I agree that it gets expensive, but I'm too addicted to stop.

Four more cards have arrived while I've been away ...
Terry's (tlsid) found still life, with an interesting variety of geometric patterns, and the whole lot looks as if it will collapse if you look at it too hard.
Lynda Pavek's pinhole bridge. I had to look at this for a while. The curvature of the bridge, the far side of the river, and the vignetting all contribute to a slight sense of disorientation. Great!
mikeg's Hope. It's a cheering message and again I enjoy the composition.
GordRob's Spike the Cat. Great use of IR to make the cat stand out from the foliage. Thanks, Gord, for your comment on my card too.

cheers
Pete

Pete H
04-17-2009, 10:43 AM
... and today, BirgerA's swirling staircase in the Arc de Triomphe has a good feeling of depth. Tusen takk, Birger.

Pete

BWKate
04-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Nanette,

We still have to do Round#17 and you are already talking about Round#18!!! Don't forget we are still on Round#16...

ozphoto
04-19-2009, 07:00 PM
David mentioned he was only going to do even rounds, which was why I mentioned Round 18 - I hope it doesn't come around too fast! ;)
(Will mean I've lost a few months somewhere along the way.) :O

And depending on my work schedule and where I'll be, I may not be able to do round 18 myself. :(
To fill the gap for Round 17, I've already printed up the cards and will get my PA to post them out, but I didn't have the time to print both rounds - fingers crossed I'll be back on home soil for maybe a few days to print them up too.

-Nanette

hal9000
04-20-2009, 03:50 PM
I finally sent my cards out today, sorry for being so late. I've been busy getting ready to go to China and I have an exhibition coming up on May 26th. Hope they arrive safely!
Hal

mikeg
04-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the kind comments and thank you to for all the lovely cards I've received.

Cheers

Mike

david b
04-20-2009, 09:01 PM
I printed my cards today and dropped them at the PO tonight. I mailed 50 cards in total. I hope you all like them.

I am still waiting on 14 cards.

johnnywalker
04-20-2009, 10:05 PM
I received GordRob's infrared Spike the Cat and Lynda's pinhole Corner Bar. Excellent work with the pinhole, sharp, good tones and a nice composition. Spike looks great, really stands out against the light background. For my next cat I'm going to get one of Spike's offspring. The coyotes would have a hard time digesting him (or her as the case may be)!