PDA

View Full Version : Dusted off my 6x9

seawolf66
02-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Took my 6x9 Voightlader Bessa made in `1937` for a trial run , I used foma film rated at 50ISO developed in ID-11 for 9.5 mins diluted 1-3 : The last negative buckled in the middle when I scanned it and the sun angle was wrong also ::

ntenny
02-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Good stuff. I just love the 6x9 format.

Which lens is it? I'm guessing a Skopar---looking at the pictures, if it's a triplet, you got a really good one.

-NT

Steve Smith
02-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I have a Zeiss Ikon 6x9 folder which I like but I don't use it much as my enlarger only goes up to 6x7.

I have made a few contact prints from it's negatives though. That's probably how a lot of prints were made from these cameras when they were new.

Steve.

SteveinAlaska
02-10-2009, 02:25 AM
My 1936 Bessa has become a real favorite this past summer. Mine has the Halomar lens with compur-rapid shutter. Seems to work best with 100 or 125 film. Still experimenting though.

seawolf66
02-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Sorry to leave out the lens Its a Vaskar F-4.5 - 105mm

Anastigmatic
02-14-2009, 02:47 AM
Huh! is it possible that you have made an error Seawolf? i do beleive that the Vaskar is a post-war lens..the voigtar f4.5, f6.3 or f7.7 was the 3 element lens used pre-war (pre-49ish actualy) on scale focus Bessa. Bessa RF have Helomar. If yours has the Vaskar then i would assume it is one of the Bessa made between 1949-50 that used the Vaskar and just before they introduced the Bessa I.

Is your lens a blue colour, it should be and indicates it a coated lens--the post war Bessa is usually a very nice looking unit--esentually the post war Bessa is the same camera the Voigtlander 1937 model Bessa

seawolf66
02-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Anastigmatic :: Yes the lens in this camera is a Vaskar 1:4.5 / 105mm Serial number is 303036 when I did a serial number check on the Voitlander web site , I thought it said made about 1937 , I could be wrong But when I shine a light into it It does look Blue ?? So which is it ??? 1937 or 1947 :o

this is where I got my mfg date : http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/voigtlaender_SN.jpg

DWThomas
02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Dunno, could it also be possible someone did a lens transplant in reconditioning the camera somewhere along the way? In addition, I have followed some Voitlšnder auctions for a while and have noted there sometimes appears to be a slow transition rather than stopping of the line for new models. The Perkeo (I) occasionally appears with a Color-Skopar that's much more common on the Perkeo II (which I own).

DaveT

ntenny
02-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Anastigmatic :: Yes the lens in this camera is a Vaskar 1:4.5 / 105mm Serial number is 303036 when I did a serial number check on the Voitlander web site , I thought it said made about 1937

Is there a typo in that number, or maybe a digit eroded away at the end? The list of Voigtlaender serial numbers in the Vade Mecum looks like they rolled over 300 000 in 1927-28, but the 3 000 000 range would be around 1947, which might be late enough for an early Vaskar.

Anyway, it looks like you hit it with this one, whatever its history.

-NT

Anastigmatic
02-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Anastigmatic :: Yes the lens in this camera is a Vaskar 1:4.5 / 105mm Serial number is 303036 when I did a serial number check on the Voitlander web site , I thought it said made about 1937 , I could be wrong But when I shine a light into it It does look Blue ?? So which is it ??? 1937 or 1947 :o

this is where I got my mfg date : http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/voigtlaender_SN.jpg

Seawolf, you seem to have a digit missing, over 2 million 7 hundred thousand is meant to indicate post war and after 3 million is meant to be after 1947, which that link you provided indicates as well, you may of miss read the number perhaps? as that number you provided is for about 1927, which your camera definately isnt. The Vaskar lens was introduced in 49 (on the Bessa) and was first seen on the bessa model you have before they changed the next year to the Bessa I (completly different looking camera).

there is no doubt at all you have a 1949 Bessa.

many of these are often in very nice condition, yours certainly looks like it is. i am not sure why that is often the case i have no way of knowing for sure), but perhaps to possit a guess, its because is was somewhat of an old design at the time, (based on the 1937 Bessa, which in turn was an upgraded from previous models of simular design), and perhaps people purchased a new 'more modern' looking camera (that were appearing in chrome tops even on relatively basic cameras), in a relatively short time after first buying the 49 Bessa, to keep up with the times 'so to speak' and so these Bessa'a were often packed away and left in good condition...either way its a nice example of a camera just made for about a year. a coated lens and one of the early shutter with flash sync (i assume your has that?)

seawolf66
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I'll Be glad when My new glass'es get here ya are right I did miss a digit 3030361 that does make difference dag nab it what make me feel more like a Idiot is I even used a magnifying glass [Egg in the face this time] thanks folks

And here I thought I had found an oldie oh well its looks good and works well, it does have the flash sync on it the only thing wrong is the leather handle is falling apart the thread is shot on it ? as they say use it [LOL]

ntenny
02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
And here I thought I had found an oldie

Yeah, I thought I had a 1964 Gibson J-40 acoustic guitar once (the model didn't exist until the 70s). And I hadn't even misread the number---Gibson's serial number chaos leaves any camera manufacturer I know of in the shade.

It does sound like you've got one of the earliest generation of postwar Bessas (Bessae?), anyway. A 62-year-old camera that works well is nothing to sneeze at.

-NT

IloveTLRs
02-18-2009, 06:23 AM
I like the third photo of the fountain at Park Street. Wonderful images :)

Anastigmatic
02-18-2009, 05:24 PM
I'll Be glad when My new glass'es get here ya are right I did miss a digit 3030361 that does make difference dag nab it what make me feel more like a Idiot is I even used a magnifying glass [Egg in the face this time] thanks folks

And here I thought I had found an oldie oh well its looks good and works well, it does have the flash sync on it the only thing wrong is the leather handle is falling apart the thread is shot on it ? as they say use it [LOL]

ah well, not to worry, these things happen...at least you can say you have the end of an era camera...it took most of the camera makers at least until 49-50 before they could start and resume to introduce new models like the bessa I etc--until then they mostly used the same camera as a base from pre-war..

look on the bright side...if you want a early pre-war camera, now you have an exuse to go hunting [lol]

nsurit
02-18-2009, 07:07 PM
This conversation had me get out my 1936 version of the Bessa RF with Helomar and Bessa II with Color-Skopar. They don't get used enough. Must do that soon. Bill Barber

seawolf66
02-18-2009, 10:22 PM
I found the Voigtlander web site for different models and years made that should give me a little help in knowing which is which , Its the money thats short : [LOL]

Ektagraphic
02-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Cool shots!

seawolf66
02-20-2009, 09:24 PM
[Shoot Kodachrome!--Pull that old film camera out of the closet. It is hungry for some Kodachrome! ]

I am waiting for the new Ektar 100 in 120 roll size should be out by april 2009 ??