PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico State Penitentiary in Santa Fe

Pages : [1] 2

david b
02-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I spent yesterday afternoon at the State Pen in Santa Fe. This is the old place, where the huge riot was in 1980, and where they now make a lot of movies.

I was there for four hours and the time flew by.

Anyway, I am going to organize another trip there and I would like to know who else would like to go. The group yesterday was about 25 and was just fine since the place is so large.

The cost will be about $10 per person, for four hours.

If you want to go let me know. I am thinking the end of March.

markbarendt
02-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Sounds interesting. I'm up by Durango and that might be a fun outing.

Was the afternoon good for lighting?

david b
02-16-2009, 07:05 PM
If you check my blog you can see a few shots and read about the place.

I was using Fuji Acros at 64 and most of my shots were in the 1 second range.

A tripod is a must.

The light was rather amazing in most of the place.

Robert Kerwin
02-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Sounds like a great outing, I'm definitely interested!

TheFlyingCamera
02-17-2009, 12:55 PM
David-

depending on when, I'd be interested. I've a vacation coming due soon, and Santa Fe is on my list of places to visit.

david b
02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
so far I have 5 people interested, which will increase the price quite a bit.

cloudhands
02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Subscribed.
Count me in. I am in Albuquerque. I do not have a highway-reliable car. If I take the railrunner up to Santa Fe, could I bum a ride with someone? PM me if this is possible.

wrench
02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
hmmm.... I've had the opportunity to shoot there before, but I couldn't stomach it at the time. That, and everyone else who was going were doing fashion-y type stuff that I'm really not into. How soon do you need a commitment? I'm definitely considering it, but it's the kinda place that I have to be in the mood to go. I just drove by there the other day and was definitely not interested then, but things can change.

mts
02-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Gee I recall watching the place burning and the red lights flashing--all seen from just outside the $2.00 window at Santa Fe Downs. It was quite a contrast to watch a prison riot going on a short distance from horse racing and spectators. Have fun but don't stay too long.

Michael W
02-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Years ago I read a book called 'The Hate Factory'. It was the account of a prison riot in New Mexico, so I'm assuming it was this place. Terrifying read.

david b
02-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Yeah, this is the same place.

I will be asking for some dates that work for you all in a few days.

markbarendt
02-19-2009, 05:35 AM
David,

Going to my photography club meeting tonight, given the turnout so far I was thinking I'd ask the film shooters there.

Before I do I'd like to know:

Is your intent an APUG only event?

Should I promote this there?

Do you want just film shooters in this event?

wrench
02-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Ok, I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring. Onto the next question; may I bring my husband? He likes to play with cameras too, and he happens to be my favorite model should the need arise.

david b
02-23-2009, 08:56 PM
I am not so hardcore film that I cannot be around people who use digital cameras. I don't care what they use.

Let me work out some dates with the guy with the access and I will let you know.

And yes spouses can come. They will have to pay as well.

SCP
03-05-2009, 07:54 PM
My friend and I were just talking about taking a trip over there to do some shooting. I ran across your thread and thought I would jump in and ask if we can join you all. We are about a half hour away. She uses both Film and Digital and I am a digital user.

cloudhands
03-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I am bumping this thread back up. Any developments on this trip?

Joe VanCleave
03-17-2009, 07:17 PM
I would be interested in attending, provided it's on a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday (weird shift-work schedule.)

Regarding the riot, there was also the book "The Devil's Butcher Shop."

Thanks for setting up this opportunity to visit this historic venue.

~Joe

markbarendt
03-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Hate to say it but I'm outta time to plan for this now.

Robert Kerwin
03-25-2009, 11:30 AM
So, is the trip still on? David?

david b
03-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I have run into a few travel snags but if you are really eager to go, check out the flickr group
http://www.flickr.com/groups/abq_sf_meetup/