PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: APUG-er on non-DSL tradi. modem for testing

Marco B
02-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Hi all,

You've probably not been aware of it much, but after the Kodak 1958 factory film ("How film is made") was announced here on APUG, Ray Rogers, Denise & Louis Ross and I have worked hard on a English subtitled version on this for APUG (the original version was Dutch dubbed over the American version).

Now, besides a nice high bandwidth full resolution version (656x480 pixels), we also maybe want to publish a low bandwidth version with a much smaller video size (328x240) that essentially should be playable over a traditional modem. Now I don't have one to test it, so I am seeking your help:

If you are on traditional low bandwidth (< 1.5Mbps DSL or 50kpbs traditional modem), and would like to test-run this, please post that here in the thread and I will PM you afterwards with a link.

Thanks for any volunteers!

Marco

archphoto
02-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I got ADSL, and not so fast, so yes I will.

Peter

Ralph Javins
02-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Good morning, Marco;

I might fit that description. I am using a a Radio Frequency modem that does indeed have the slow rates (and sometimes even slower) that you mentioned. In looking at one of my recent Speedtest.net records, it said that I was running right at 60 KiloBytes per Second, or about 500 KiloBits per Second. Some of my recent download speeds have been on the order of 17 KiloBytes per Second. Would this meet your requirements?

If you need a hard wired circuit to test, I can plug in a 56 K telephone modem. I like the RF modem because . . . it does not have any wires. It works just about anywhere I go, although at times, slowly.

Nice to hear that Ray Rogers plus Denise and Louis Ross are involved in this project also.

phenix
02-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I still have a dial-up connection and an old US-Robotics 56/36 kbps (PC-MCIA for my old laptop). So, PM me with the link and I’ll give it a try. But I’ll do this tomorrow at the same hour, and I’ll let you know as soon as I’ll end to try it.
Would you like to PM you the result, or just to post it here?

dwross
02-28-2009, 11:38 PM
HI All,

Marco and Ray have done a terrific job on subtitling the Kodak film. Louis and I will be putting the finishing touches on the page for The Light Farm first thing tomorrow morning. We'll get that to Marco and he can make the testing arrangements with you. Thanks for volunteering! I think everyone will enjoy the English narrative.

Denise

Anon Ymous
03-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Marco, I've seen traditional modems reaching 52kbps, but not over that. That should give you slightly over 6 kilobytes per second. Realistically, you should expect an old modem to give you about 5 kb/sec. Possibly 5,5, but above that would be an exception. Real time streaming and playback would be problematic. You'll probably need to reduce quality to such an extent that will make it ugly.

Marco B
03-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Yes, I know, it isn't going to look pretty, but that's not the point, we just want people with low bandwidth to view it as well, and have some opportunity of enjoying it. I think the version I have up now is still acceptable for that purpose.

I am aware it will still need buffering time for those on dial-up to be able to view it. I got the data rate down to a measly 100kbps, but that still is twice the amount offered by dial-up, so it will require waiting for the film to load, but at least people should be able to view it. I never expected true real time streaming to be possible on dial-up, but it is close enough I think...

At least, that's what I hope and that's why I asked for some testers...

Of course, as stated before, we also have high bandwidth version available for the rest of us already on DSL.

PhotoJim
03-01-2009, 08:18 AM
That's the smart approach. Many of those who still use dialup modems are in areas that are distant from telephone switches, and that means they very often can't even get 50kbps connections. The last few years I've used dialup at our cottage at the lake, and I get about 42kbps most of the time. I now have a GSM/HSPA data stick that I will use. We don't have 3G coverage out there, but there is a GSM/EDGE tower within visual range so I should get well over 100kbps now, although the latency will be higher.

If you need my help, I can test. My Internet connections:

- cablemodem, 5Mbps down, 1 Mbps up
- Novatel Ovation MC950D GSM data stick, which can connect via 3G HSUPA (maximum 7.2Mbps down, maximum 2.1Mbps up) or 2.5G EDGE (maximum ~200kbps down, maximum ~50kbps up). Where I am located, I get about half those speeds.
- several v.90 (max. 56kbps up, max. 33.6 kbps down) and v.92 (max. 56kbps up and down) modems. I tend to get about 50kbps up and full 33.6kbps down on v.90. My v.92 modems only report download speed, and I get about 50-52kbps on them.

JohnRichard
03-01-2009, 08:43 AM
So where is this English-dub video?

wildbillbugman
03-01-2009, 01:54 PM
HI All,

I think everyone will enjoy the English narrative.

Denise:
No one speaks "English" in 2009. Possibly a few diehards at Oxford or Chambridge continue to try. Translate the thing to Prison Americana.
Bill:p

dwross
03-01-2009, 02:13 PM
:
No one speaks "English" in 2009. Possibly a few diehards at Oxford or Chambridge continue to try. Translate the thing to Prison Americana.
Bill:p

:) When I think of some of the typos I've made lately posting to public forums, I've gotta wonder what language my brain-to-finger translator thinks I speak!

The Kodak page is finished and is being reviewed by Marco. I'll put it up on The Light Farm as soon as he gives the go-ahead.

d

dwross
03-01-2009, 03:15 PM
And it's up!
http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/showvideo.py

Many, many thanks to Marco and Ray for this.