PDA

View Full Version : Selling inherited darkroom

amarygma
04-07-2009, 08:25 PM
My grandfather-in-law was an avid photographer. He shot all over the world, professionally. He was also a machinist. We purchased their house (white bear lake) when they moved into a nursing home, and inherited all the stuff that came with it. He passed on a few years ago.

What our fuse box refers to as a "wine cellar" had been the "dark room." He developed his own film. I believe it was medium format mainly, but also possibly some large, I can't be sure. I'd guess small too. It consists of a B+W enlarger (handmade), a color enlarger, a film dryer, magnet-hook things for hanging things off the HVAC duct, tongs, pans, a stand that holds the pan like a sink with a counter, and possibly more. The clock thing, probably the red light bulb? Any chemicals left I'm sure are expired and gross. There's probably photo paper.

I don't know how to load film, let alone develop it. I appreciate those who do, of course.

What is a fair price to sell this stuff for without doing crazy amounts of research into learning what it all is? I have a couple friends I think might be interested, and if they're not I'll go public

David A. Goldfarb
04-07-2009, 08:35 PM
A few people have come to APUG in this situation, and it can be hard to say what everything is worth without being able to take a look at it. In some situations, fairly high end darkroom equipment ends up being virtually given away, because it can be hard to ship, and with the rise of digital photography, the market has declined for traditional equipment, and in those situations it may be best to find a college with a photography program that can use it.

There may be someone here in your area, though, who can come over and take a look at what you've got and help you sort through it so you don't miss out and give away something that's really of value.

Thomas Bertilsson
04-07-2009, 08:45 PM
I live in St Paul and can help with trying to explain some of the stuff, but probably not all of it.

Send me a personal message here on APUG or use the link, by clicking on my profile, to email me. I can spare some time and come out and help look at the stuff.

- Thomas

My grandfather-in-law was an avid photographer. He shot all over the world, professionally. He was also a machinist. We purchased their house (white bear lake) when they moved into a nursing home, and inherited all the stuff that came with it. He passed on a few years ago.

What our fuse box refers to as a "wine cellar" had been the "dark room." He developed his own film. I believe it was medium format mainly, but also possibly some large, I can't be sure. I'd guess small too. It consists of a B+W enlarger (handmade), a color enlarger, a film dryer, magnet-hook things for hanging things off the HVAC duct, tongs, pans, a stand that holds the pan like a sink with a counter, and possibly more. The clock thing, probably the red light bulb? Any chemicals left I'm sure are expired and gross. There's probably photo paper.

I don't know how to load film, let alone develop it. I appreciate those who do, of course.

What is a fair price to sell this stuff for without doing crazy amounts of research into learning what it all is? I have a couple friends I think might be interested, and if they're not I'll go public

mgb74
04-08-2009, 08:51 AM
I used to donate spare photography and darkroom items to the Perpich Art School (they're in Golden Valley). But schools often put a high priority on consistency (i.e. same type of enlarger, same type of developing tanks) as to make instruction easier. Anything "homemade" may be difficult to sell unless fairly esoteric.

There is an upcoming photo swap show (http://www.f-stopswap.com/) but I think it's a difficult venue to sell darkroom items. To augment Thomas' offer, I'd take lots of photos of the equipment and put up on Picassa (or equivalent) so you can point people with a link.

Chemicals, if still in sealed cans, might still be good though not necessarily in demand.

Occasionally, an item you might think is close to worthless can be of somewhat high value because it fills a particular niche.

ic-racer
04-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Learning how to use the equipment and keeping it will have more of an effect on your life than any monetary gain the described equipment is likely to produce.

amarygma
04-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Lol I do NOT need MORE hobbies!!

I'll take an "inventory" in the next couple of days and get things photographed (sorry folks, digitally, cuz I'm inept and impatient!).

My brother-in-law is getting the actual cameras.

I will say the homemade enlarger is actually nice. He hand-made the bellows and did commercially make machinery (I grew up with a workshop in my parents house and even I had to sort the tools by ones I could identify and ones I couldn't!), so it's not crap.

The darkroom was part of the reason they bought this house in the first place. Sorry folks but I think I'd be better off with a wine cellar (or getting to that central vac located in there).

I'm not really doing it for tons of profit, I just mainly want it out of the house but don't want to give it away and then have the relatives come tell me it was worth a bunch of money and be annoyed.

If it's worth it I'll sell it, so if it's generally worth like 500 I'd offer to friends for like 250 and then CL for like 350 or something. If it's not worth much I'd either give it to friends or donate it. If it's worth a ton then hey, I get some home repairs done! (or more likely split the money with the in-laws and buy grandma something nice).

The in-laws have already all been through the house and have had 3 years or so to get this stuff out. The "oh yeah that could be worth something, you should hold onto it" would only be fantastic if I owned a warehouse. I got the go-ahead from husband to rehome it.

Obviously I'll be double checking online as I find out more stuff about it.

ic-racer
04-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Lol I do NOT need MORE hobbies!!
Very understandable. And a wine cellar is more practical if you are not an analog photographer.

Unlike gold coins, old Gibson guitars and the like, old enlargers have no 'collector' value. Thus, darkroom equipment is not worth much these days. For example this enlarger was only $500. (Cost $20,000 in 1988). http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/enlargerinplace.jpg

Venchka
04-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Consider yourself lucky if you can find someone who will take ALL of it and not charge you for the service.

mikebarger
04-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I just watched two 4x5 enlargers go to the landfill; tried off and on 7 months to give them away.

I think you'll be lucky to get much, if anything for it.

Mike

tiberiustibz
04-09-2009, 09:50 PM
The problem is that there are too many of YOU (in the general sense) who want to get rid of old enlargers and not enough of US who want to buy them.

Need a new hobby?

amarygma
04-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Okay, I took photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37290466@N07/

So there's the B+W enlarger that seems to take "big" negatives, a Beseler 8181 dichromo thing with power supply and extra knob thing (but the bellows look like they were taped and would need a retaping), and lots of accessories (different negative holders and a different lens and things I can't identify. Lots of color filter things.

There's the drying cabinet with glass top, with a Beseler thing in it, a heating element, and a fan. There's 20 or so big film holder things, and the trays to develop them. There's a print cabinet , the red light, the stuff you'd need to do airbrushing (paints, two airbrushes, and what I think is a thing you airbrush on). There's a bunch of paper, but I think it has all been opened. I believe it is still "safe" though. There are some chemicals. The developer packet is unopened, the other stuff has been reclosed.

I didn't photo the sink, but basically there's no drain there, so he made a contraption where the sink drains into a tub and like a toilet if the tub gets full it turns on a pump which pumps through a hose to a drain on the other side of the basement. I was afraid to turn that on.

So let me know what you think?

David A. Goldfarb
04-12-2009, 05:57 AM
There are a number of things in there that may be useful to the right person, but I don't see any hidden gems in the photos--something like a fancy easel or a particularly good enlarging lens. While he seems to have put a lot of effort into his customized enlargers, and I'm sure he had a system that worked for him, most people buying darkroom equipment want things that aren't too customized, so that they'll work with standard parts and accessories that are easily available, and there's a lot of high-end darkroom gear out there for cheap these days. Unless you want to go through it all meticulously and part out what's potentially sellable here in the classifieds (which happen to be out of commission at the moment, but should be back up in the next couple of days) or on eBay, I think your best bet is to find someone local who is interested and give it away to someone willing to move it all out for you, or sell it for a nominal amount to someone who wants to pick it over and let you deal with the rest.

amarygma
04-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Okay so none of my friends are interested. Is anyone here interested? Otherwise I'll ebay the color enlarger's negative holders and CL/donate the rest.

mike c
04-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Amarygma,I haven't read anywhere in the post where your located,name a city.No body wants to ship a Enlarger so it would only be a local interest. Also when you say big what size,4x5,5X7,8x10 ?.the carrier size would do.

amarygma
04-14-2009, 12:45 PM
First post: White bear lake. I have a pickup truck and can deliver within reason if anyone has a little car (TC area).

I dunno what a carrier is. Tell me and I'll gladly measure. I'm assuming it's something from the enlargers on page 2 of the photos? The B+W negative holder (is that the carrier?) is glass. The color one has several ... i can measure them, if that's the thing to measure!

resummerfield
04-14-2009, 12:51 PM
...... I'll ebay the color enlarger's negative holders and CL/donate the rest.
Consider putting the Marshall's Spot All and Photo-Retouch Colors on Ebay as well. They may bring in more than the neg carriers!
And the 4x5 film holder (marked INP 70 in your DC044 photo) would also sell on Ebay.

mike c
04-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Ok,amarygma, I skipped over those photos,ya that is enough information for anyone interested to contact you.thank you.

mike c.

Steve Smith
04-14-2009, 01:22 PM
From your image DC010 it looks like a 5x4 enlarger. I wish I didn't live so far away (or even better, if you were closer!).

Steve.