PDA

View Full Version : I think I have a problem.

Pages : [1] 2

walter23
04-28-2009, 05:01 PM
A box came in the mail today. In this box was an older Bergheil 9x12. When I put it in the drawer with all the other old folders I realized this is becoming a bit of a problem. How the hell did I become a collector anyway?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/walter2323/IMG_0200-ridiculous.jpg

From upper left, clockwise:

1. Voigtlander bergheil (needs lens), green deluxe. Bought as a spare body as I expected the one I just received to be unusuable as it was described as really crummy. Unfortunately it works well, so I may have to sell this green one or try to track down a lens for it (anyone lookin'?).

2. Voigtlander Avus 9x12 (skopar 13.5cm)

3. Some kind of old kodak I bought for the roll of film in it (haven't developed yet).

4. Voigtlander Bergheil (heliar 13.5cm)

5. Contessa Picolette

6. Vest Pocket Kodak Autographic w/ Anastigmat lens

7. VPK Autographic model B

8. VPK Autographic meniscus lens model

bill spears
04-28-2009, 05:17 PM
He He - A similar thing is happening to me at the moment ........ Recently started buying and selling cameras and equipment as a means to a little extra income. Problem is I can't bear to part with some (most) of them ! It's only been going a couple of months and I'm already running out of wall space in which to put up more shelves for displaying.

Where does this thing usually end ??

Anscojohn
04-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Where does this thing usually end ??[/QUOTE]

It doesn't.:D

IloveTLRs
04-28-2009, 05:41 PM

Well, I'm up to 40 cameras or so ... :rolleyes: :)

Photo Engineer
04-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Put an addition on your house.

PE

Removed Account
04-28-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm fortunate in that I can usually only afford to buy a new camera if I sell one, the exceptions being around tax return time and really cheap cameras. I just got a Kodak Folding Autographic Brownie #2 with achromat mesicus lens and Kodex shutter the other week and I'm anxiously awaiting some 120 film to run through it! I can see myself needing to build more shelving soon...

archphoto
04-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Gooooood looking......
Congrad's !

The reason why sellers put "crummy" or "for parts only" on a camera is to avoid complaints afterwards (and bad ratings).
Nobody will be complaining about a camera that is better than described !

Sorry, can not help you with the Bergheil....

Peter

Whiteymorange
04-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Having just come from the PHSNE show and sale, where I was helping a man try to "cut down his inventory." (At two car loads we made not even a small dent in the twice downsized collection of stuff he had left.) I can tell you that it never really ends. At the close of the show, he pointed sadly to the two new boxes of cameras he had just purchased.

Enjoy it while you can. Collecting something like matchbooks makes you a bit suspect, collecting cameras makes you interesting. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

jnanian
04-28-2009, 09:39 PM
the last cameras i got were gifts :)
THANKS WHITEY!

john

walter23
04-28-2009, 11:10 PM

Presumably with a big estate sale ;)

Bill Harrison
04-28-2009, 11:36 PM
It's reassuring to know your not alone. CLICK

bill spears
04-29-2009, 03:40 AM
The problem is not just the amount of items I'm accumulating but the time I'm spending hunting around car boot sales and auction houses looking for them ! I'm actually blaming my girlfriend for all this ...... ever since she picked up a mint condition and fully working Kodak Panoram for 2.50 at a boot sale and then sold it online for 375 !! At the time, neither of us knew it's potential value, she just thought it looked cute.

Soeren
04-29-2009, 05:18 AM
We have our own version of Steven Aichlen's shoe rule. Everytime my wife buys a pair of shoes I can buy three cameras..... eh uhm..... or was it the other way round :rolleyes: :)
Best regards

Steve Smith
04-29-2009, 05:29 AM
I thought I had enough when my camera-countometer reached the thirty mark. Then I inherited another thirty which my father has collected.

And I still find myself looking at more!

Steve.

delphine
04-29-2009, 08:35 AM
I temporarily banned myself from ebay to alleviate this problem.:rolleyes:

Walter, I am noticing that in your collection you have the Kodak vest pocket.. so I am taking this occasion to jump in with a side track question.

I have several models of a kodak folder similar to the vest pocket. The below, like that of the vest pocket, is held to the wood frame of the body by metal claws. It does look like they would not bend without breaking if I was trying to open them to release the below.
I am trying to replace the below of one of my kodak folders.

Any suggestions/ideas as to how I could proceed?

Fotoguy20d
04-29-2009, 09:28 AM
A box came in the mail today. In this box was an older Bergheil 9x12. When I put it in the drawer with all the other old folders I realized this is becoming a bit of a problem. How the hell did I become a collector anyway?

I started a year and a half ago with an autographic 2C for $5. Little did I know it would spiral out of control from there. The worst (perspective dependant) is when you buy a "lot" of stuff just to get at a nice looking Seneca (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=380119258693), promise yourself you'll get rid of the rest, and then a year later it's still cluttering up your house. :)

What're you doing putting these things in a drawer? Mine, to my girlfriend's disgust, are on top of every bookcase, piled on top of my table saw in the basement (a whole pyramid of 116 box cameras), covering an entire Ikea Billy bookcase, and a couple of end tables. On the good side, as I point out, they're limited to the basement and one room.

Dan

walter23
04-29-2009, 08:58 PM
What're you doing putting these things in a drawer?

Keeping the dust off them until I can get a nice cabinet or something. I really bought them to use anyway, so I take one out when I want to use it.

Toffle
04-29-2009, 09:24 PM
[quote=bill spears;790445

Where does this thing usually end ??[/quote]

I'll let you know.

2F/2F
04-29-2009, 09:33 PM
You're darned right you got a problem.....That first camera needs a lens!

Valerie
04-29-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't get it....... what's the problem?? :p