PDA

View Full Version : photo labs in/near chicago?

thisismyname09
05-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Currently, my darkroom is at school. When school ends about a month from now, I can't do anything but shoot film and let it sit. Are there any (preferably inexpensive) labs south of chicago, around tinley and orland park, that will develop 120 film?

Robert Brummitt
05-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Use this site to help find a lab. All you need to do is supply your zip code then a list of labs will come up. You'll have to do some calling about film processes they provide.
http://www.ipiphoto.com/

Hatchetman
11-07-2012, 02:04 PM
I just wanted to update this as there has been some considerable changes in the local labs.

1. Helix has stopped processing film.
2. Phoenix Imaging was sold to a digital printing company and they have moved to Lake Street near downtown. In the basement of that building, Gamma Imaging is located. Phoenix and Gamma both do good work (C41&E6). I think Gamma actually outsources some stuff to Phoenix. Also, both of them outsource B&W processing to some *mystery* entity in Evanston.
3. Central Camera used to use Helix for a lot of their stuff. They now send it to Dwayne's in Kansas.
4. CSW still does E6 and C41, but not B&W.

As far as I know those are the only three "pro" film labs left in the area. If anyone has more info, please share.

One more thing, Printlab does B&W processing, but focuses on high end printing projects, both darkroom and digital.

frobozz
01-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Looks like Helix is going out of business entirely, so I guess it's a good thing they stopped processing film a little earlier :-(

I used to drop off my E6 at Helix's Highland Park location (and they'd run it downtown and back) because I work near there, but when that closed a couple of years ago I switched to CSW and just mail it. Glad to hear they're hanging in there.

Duncan

pbromaghin
01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Not sure if you need a place to play, or just pay. You can play here:

http://chicagocommunitydarkroom.org/

Hatchetman
08-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Well, Phoenix Imaging has been sold again and is now part of A&B Photo and Print, which specializes in headshots. Still the same equipment and employees (2) as before. They are now at 218 N. Jefferson, Lower Level, only a couple of blocks from their last stop.

Hatchetman
07-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Just to update this. Phoenix Imaging no longer processes film in-house. Was quoted $36/roll for c-41 and flatbed scans. PASS.

CSW is the only place in the 7 million population area of Chicagoland that does E-6 in house. That I am aware of.

fotch
07-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Supply & demand. Go figure, I would of thought with so many people in the area.....perhaps most mail out?

Hatchetman
07-24-2014, 01:42 PM
perhaps most mail out?

I guess (?)

The two other shops I frequent outsource their E-6 to Dwayne's. Which is fine. If you want to wait 7-10 days.