PDA

View Full Version : "NO PIXELS - 2009" Exhibition ?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Fintan
05-14-2009, 04:51 AM
some interesting names people.

Since this is APUG and we are Ireland, I wonder if 'APUG Ireland Region Annual Exhibition 2009' would be too obvious??

MattKing
05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
A name sugestion from across the world:

"Pixel-Free"

Matt

Vincent Brady
05-14-2009, 03:57 PM
"when the nipper arrives"

Peter this is the first I heard about your expected arrival. Congratulations to you both. Don't worry about missing out on anything. That's the great thing about analog photography it's not going anywhere, it has already arrived and will remain around without change until you have time to return.
In the meantime practice up on your baby snaps & remember Infrared should not be your first choice when shooting.

Cheers
Vincent

thefizz
05-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Yes Vincent its going to be photos only of the nipper for a while. I'll have to try and wean myself off the IR film but its going to be tough.

monosnaps
05-15-2009, 03:53 PM
You could turn it round and say what it is. "Pure Silver" for example?

(Not that it's any of my business as I'm not in Ireland - it's just good to see people promoting analogue photography :) )

Thats a nice title Pete, do like it.

Anyway I missed out last time but would like to get involved this time.:)

Peter

Keep the Infrared handy It works a treat on babies, just drop the filter. Also useful for portraits.

Rafal Lukawiecki
05-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Count me in please!

fajitas!
05-17-2009, 05:26 AM
Monster Truck on Francis St, D8, are open to this kind of thing aswell, there's been a few (film only) photographic exhibitions there. La Cathedral, down the road from it is another fantastic space. Loads of soft natural light.

One of my dislikes about exhibiting in DCC is everything has to be so uniform - Some people print big, some people print small - some people don't want black mounts, and hell, some people might even like a tacky frame :p

As regards the name, 'APUG Ireland Region Annual Exhibition 2009' works well as a subtitle, but something a bit more bold and stand-outish is great for attention grabbing, even a single word that could cover everything...

hughitb
05-18-2009, 05:32 AM
One of my dislikes about exhibiting in DCC is everything has to be so uniform - Some people print big, some people print small - some people don't want black mounts, and hell, some people might even like a tacky frame :p

Would I be right in saying the DCC exhibition space only opens on Saturdays anyway? I wouldn't rule it out for this reason but it is a disadvantage ...

As regards the name, 'APUG Ireland Region Annual Exhibition 2009' works well as a subtitle, but something a bit more bold and stand-outish is great for attention grabbing, even a single word that could cover everything...

I agree. I like the "Pure Silver" name ......

Fintan
05-18-2009, 05:44 AM
I like the idea of exhibiting our silver craft slap bang in the dragons inkjet lair :D:D:D

Seriously DCC as a venue is not ideal for opening hours but it is a great venue to have. We might even poach a few back to the dark side ;)

Pure Silver is cool with me

thefizz
05-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Apug Ireland presents "Pure Silver" sounds great to me.

DCC doesn't sound so good if only open on Saturdays but they do run a lot of successfull exhibitions as far as I know, so maybe Vincent can advise us more on how they have gone down in the past?

hughitb
05-18-2009, 05:58 AM
Apug Ireland presents "Pure Silver" sounds great to me.

DCC doesn't sound so good if only open on Saturdays but they do run a lot of successfull exhibitions as far as I know, so maybe Vincent can advise us more on how they have gone down in the past?

Yeah, the reality is we may not end up with much of a choice due to availability so let's just keep coming up with suggestions and then see what pans out.

There is also the Joinery in Smithfield. Never been in it but I do know they hold regular enough photographic exhibitions ....

thefizz
05-18-2009, 06:04 AM
Monster Truck on Francis St, D8, are open to this kind of thing aswell, there's been a few (film only) photographic exhibitions there. La Cathedral, down the road from it is another fantastic space. Loads of soft natural light.

I have also heard about this Monster Truck place but know little about it. Can you get more info for us Fajitas?

hughitb
05-18-2009, 07:42 AM
www.monstertruck.ie

They seem to be booked up until the end of the year except for the first week or so in November ......

Shangheye
05-18-2009, 07:55 AM
"Analog Ireland 2009" would be my suggestion...too bad i can't take part. Kal

monosnaps
05-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Monstertruck is a fine gallery but quite small so it might limit the size of the exhibition or frames, they used to rent it out for exhibitions generally for a couple of days say Thursday to Saturday. We had a Holga show there with Photography Ireland, very successful few days.

fajitas!
05-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Would I be right in saying the DCC exhibition space only opens on Saturdays anyway? I wouldn't rule it out for this reason but it is a disadvantage ...

Yep, it only opens on Saturdays during the day, which I'd feel is a bit of a disadvantage. Generally opening nights in Dublin are Thursdays or the odd Friday, which brings out a lot of the 'artier crowd'.

Monstertruck is a fine gallery but quite small so it might limit the size of the exhibition or frames, they used to rent it out for exhibitions generally for a couple of days say Thursday to Saturday. We had a Holga show there with Photography Ireland, very successful few days.
It is indeed a wee bit small, but if was a photo a person, I reckon it would work. Again, depending on sizes. They're generally good folk to work with, but if they're booked out, they're booked out :)

http://www.lacatedralstudios.org/

When it loads, click on "The Back Loft" for some info and pics on the exhibition space. It's a really nice space, I guess you could call it rustic charm - some cracks and holes in the walls, and so on. As far as I know, it's not near as busy as Monster Truck, but I could be wrong with that.

Fintan
05-20-2009, 11:06 AM
What fees and commission would be expected in Monster Truck and The Back Loft?

hughitb
05-20-2009, 03:02 PM
I do think this place might be worth a shot ...

http://www.thejoinery.org/

Oh yeah and I seem to remember being at a DCC exhibition about 2-3 years ago in some venue beside the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre. I could be way off here. Tex??

Vincent Brady
05-20-2009, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=hughitb;801488]I do think this place might be worth a shot ...

http://www.thejoinery.org/

Oh yeah and I seem to remember being at a DCC exhibition about 2-3 years ago in some venue beside the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre. I could be way off here. Tex??[/Oh yeah and I seem to remember being at a DCC exhibition about 2-3 years ago in some venue beside the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre. I could be way off here.]

We used the Civic Museum for several exhibitions but then it closed for repairs and I'm not sure why we never went back. It was not great anyway, the Photo stands were in between display cases and Nelson's head.
At any rate I did check with the DCC and the only vacancy they have would be next Nov. maybe.
One last point the fact that we have photo's does not mean gallery's would be willing to show them. I'm not sure that we have a renowned Irish photographer among the 11 people that have expressed interest so far. but I am of course open to correction on that point.

Cheers
TEX

hughitb
05-20-2009, 04:38 PM
One last point the fact that we have photo's does not mean gallery's would be willing to show them. I'm not sure that we have a renowned Irish photographer among the 11 people that have expressed interest so far. but I am of course open to correction on that point.

Cheers
TEX

Absolutely, I agree. Though The Joinery seems to have hosted quite a few group exhibitions of this nature, with no "name" photographers involved. They also might simply not be interested in the type of work being proposed. Either way though ... if you don't ask you never know ;)