PDA

View Full Version : "NO PIXELS - 2009" Exhibition ?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

monosnaps
05-21-2009, 02:30 AM
I will wander up to Arbour Hill today and check out the Joinery.

monosnaps
05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Talked to Joinery today, they are a contemporary art space, the contemporary bit was stressed, as an example she said they would not show say " documentary photography". No rants please ! Suggested we send in a proposal with some images and she would make contact in a week or two , outlining costs and conditions if they were interested. Reading between the lines I know our photography is not what they like to show, but in my experience these galleries need to survive and mainstream photography is appreciated as much if not more than most forms of contemporary photography or art so it might still be worth submitting a proposal.

Checked out monstertruck and like Alan said they have a week free in November 2009 , most of their exhibitions are now two weeks. I was talking to Peter from the gallery, very friendly, who said their approach again was moving more towards the contemporary but he had a more open approach than Joinery. I put the emphasis on the film angle. The gallery is small made up of two rooms with a half dividing wall. Its such an informal space, very informal you could easily hang 40+ small to medium prints. Like joinery they would need to see the work. The cost would be €500 for the week. Marketing and help with design and layout is provided. We would need to check if they take a further commission and require our help in manning the exhibition.

If we are going to try secure either of these galleries we need to make some quick decisions and get some scans together.

Why is Dundrum not an option this year ??.

Fintan
05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Why is Dundrum not an option this year ??.

As far as I know, nobody said it wasn't Eddie.

Shall I call them?

hughitb
05-21-2009, 04:24 PM

Shall I call them?

I think you should. At least we know whether it's an option then ...

Good work Eddie, by the way! Food for thought ....

monosnaps
05-21-2009, 04:32 PM

Shall I call them?

I would Fintan, might be the easiest option the fact you know the galley well. I know you did a lot of work last year with Peter but it should be easier second time around.

Fintan
05-21-2009, 05:38 PM
I would Fintan, might be the easiest option the fact you know the galley well. I know you did a lot of work last year with Peter but it should be easier second time around.

It's a long shot Eddie, it was agreed in january and unfortunately we're nearly at june. But theres no harm in trying.

fajitas!
05-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Checked out monstertruck and like Alan said they have a week free in November 2009 , most of their exhibitions are now two weeks. I was talking to Peter from the gallery, very friendly, who said their approach again was moving more towards the contemporary but he had a more open approach than Joinery. I put the emphasis on the film angle. The gallery is small made up of two rooms with a half dividing wall. Its such an informal space, very informal you could easily hang 40+ small to medium prints. Like joinery they would need to see the work. The cost would be 500 for the week. Marketing and help with design and layout is provided. We would need to check if they take a further commission and require our help in manning the exhibition.

Peter's a good guy, as is Niall (That's if Niall is still working there). I'd be on good talking terms with both, and a few other folk involved in there.

If there's more interest in Monster Truck, I might pop up in a bit.

If there's work to be done on a proposal, I'll gladly do my bit, but I'll be quite tied up with a rather large show of my own until late next week (Ugh... stressssss)

thefizz
05-22-2009, 07:43 AM
I was just speaking with the arts officer in Airfield and she said the situation is a bit different this year. They want to promote and give priority to exhibitions and events relating to the programs and activities which they run. This means there will be less chances for "outside groups" to run exhibitions but she did say we can still apply. A formal application needs to be made and they will then consider us. They would have space from September onwards.

monosnaps
05-22-2009, 04:30 PM
I was just speaking with the arts officer in Airfield and she said the situation is a bit different this year. They want to promote and give priority to exhibitions and events relating to the programs and activities which they run. This means there will be less chances for "outside groups" to run exhibitions but she did say we can still apply. A formal application needs to be made and they will then consider us. They would have space from September onwards.

That sounds positive, we could offer to do a few presentations as part of their program and run these in conjunction with the exhibition. A presentation on film photography, showing the public how to present their photographs. A darkroom workshop. Run the exhibition as part of a an overall photography weekend.

walter23
05-22-2009, 04:41 PM
You could turn it round and say what it is. "Pure Silver" for example?

(Not that it's any of my business as I'm not in Ireland - it's just good to see people promoting analogue photography :) )

Ag Grains 2009

Sounds like a wheat farming / AGriculture exhibit ;)

hughitb
05-23-2009, 05:14 AM
There is also a place called the Joy Gallery opposite the Gate Theatre. Don't know much about it but I reckon it's a similar operation to Monster Truck/Joinery.

fajitas!
05-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Is that the spot up the back street? I think it used be a nightclub in the 70's? Could be wrong with that, but if it is, I think it's slightly more suited to contemporary sculpture than photography...

dustfree
05-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I'd be interested as well....June

thefizz
05-26-2009, 05:05 AM
I checked out The Mill Theater in the Dundrum Town Centre which sounds very good. They have two gallery areas which visitors have to walk through when going to the theater. This along with its location in the town centre provides a lot of traffic passing through as they are open during the day. They only charge 25% commission on sales which is very reasonable but unfortunately they are booked out till the end of this year.

peterev
05-27-2009, 08:11 AM
yup im up 4 it

hughitb
05-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I checked out The Mill Theater in the Dundrum Town Centre which sounds very good. They have two gallery areas which visitors have to walk through when going to the theater. This along with its location in the town centre provides a lot of traffic passing through as they are open during the day. They only charge 25% commission on sales which is very reasonable but unfortunately they are booked out till the end of this year.

That sounds pretty ideal. Pity there are booked up .... should remember this as a good option for something next year.

Airfield still sounds like the best bet so far if we can get it.

fajitas!
05-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Actually, the Lighthouse Cinema in Smithfield do have exhibitions. It's quite an unusual space, but I've seen a very successful MACW exhibition there. Plenty of white walls.

I'm pretty open to anything, will keep on putting up suggestions until I'm told to stop :p

hughitb
05-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Actually, the Lighthouse Cinema in Smithfield do have exhibitions. It's quite an unusual space, but I've seen a very successful MACW exhibition there. Plenty of white walls.

I'm pretty open to anything, will keep on putting up suggestions until I'm told to stop :p

MACW? I googled this and came up with Mid Atlantic Chamionship Wrestling ... I'm guessing that's not right :-)

Lighthouse Cinema is an interesting suggestion ....

thefizz
05-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Well a few of these venues need to be approached with scans of some of our work so do we need to agree on a theme before we can do this?

Its getting very late for this year and I agree with Hugh that Airfield may be the best option again.

hughitb
05-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Well a few of these venues need to be approached with scans of some of our work so do we need to agree on a theme before we can do this?

I would think the theme of analogue photographers working in Ireland is enough, no?

No matter the venue though we need to put something together for a submission. We can always submit to multiple venues and see what pans out.

I have an idea here. I'm not sure how one would normally make a submission like this but we could use one of these online services like:

http://www.blurb.com

to make a short printed soft cover book with examples of our work, some short blurb about our proposed exhibition, and some information about the photographers involved (most of which can probably come from the blurb about last years one). My missus made a book in this fashion - it was easy to do and turned out really well. It will cost some money (40 or 50 euros or so but we can split that) and there is a turnaround time of 7-10 days but it might be a relatively painless way to put together a very professional looking submission.

Is this overkill?

If people think this is the way to proceed I would be quite happy to take care of producing it, on the basis of people sending me scans/info and so on. I have to do one for something else anyway .... I might let someone else take care of approaching the venues and talking to them once it's done though.

Its getting very late for this year and I agree with Hugh that Airfield may be the best option again.