PDA

View Full Version : Source for 9x14cm Plate Holders for Ica/Zeiss "Nixe" Folder?

leighmarrin
05-12-2009, 03:21 PM
I recently bought an Ica "Nixe" folder, which uses 122 "postcard" rollfilm and also has a removable back to accept a plate holder.

I orginally thought it was for the somewhat uncommon 10x15cm format, but checking with the ZICG Zeiss list experts, and also later confirmed by a few Google hits, my Nixe apparently takes a scarce 9x14cm holder.

A 9x12cm Maximar holder fits my Nixe perfectly, EXCEPT it is about 3cm TOO SHORT... I suppose a talented welder could weld two cut-down 9x12 holders, but that is way beyond my talents..

Anyhow, any suggestions for sources for 9x14cm holders? I can't find any loose ones on eBay or Google. My Ica Nixe is a very well-made camera and I'd like to use it. It is currently lensless, but I'm going to pick up a 15cm Tessar or Dominar for it, as they are fairly common.

Thanks from Leigh in Santa Barbara, Calif., USA.

Jerevan
05-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Just a qualified guesstimation: if the 9x12 holder you already have (I assume) fits well, why not take it into a shop and have somebody to copy the 9x12 design but make it as long as it needs to be?

leighmarrin
05-22-2009, 02:27 AM
Jerevan, I think making a new 9x14cm would probably be much more expensive than finding a used serviceable one. Making a typical metal Euro-style plate holder probably requires a lot of specialized sheet metal-working equipment.

apkujeong
05-23-2009, 06:42 PM
If you can get someone to cut two 9x12 holders accurately enough, it'd be possible to solder the parts together maybe, but the metal is too flimsy for welding. A good soldering iron (temperature controlled solder station) with a large tip will get the job done (remove the paint first). It'd need some reinforcing strips of metal added to the back, too, so it would look a bit ugly. I think cutting the holders to size would be the awkward aspect of the job. I'd look for someone with some engineering contacts and ask nicely if they have any ideas - take a couple of holders, you might be fortunate.

leighmarrin
05-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Apkujeong, I've got a 100 watt soldering iron for electronics, but I don't think it would work for soldering ferous sheet metal. I think ferous materials would require greater heat.

But I may attempt a similar idea: with two cut-down 9x12cm holders and some reinforcing strips help in place with small pop rivets, and lots of black tape, I might be able to "kluge" together a 9x14 cm holder. I have several 9x12cm film sheaths, and by taking off the ends, should give enough support for a 9x14cm strip of cut-down 5x7" film.

Now I just gotta make time for another project...

apkujeong
05-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi, 100 watts sounds promising, I managed with a 50 watt (electronics) soldering iron. I had to take apart some 726/7 holders, and re-solder the joints (the velvet light seals had failed).

If you scrape the metal clean and shiny, and use an oversized tip you should be able to do it, I think. Other thing you can do if you find you are lacking a bit of heat, use two soldering irons at once. Sounds a bit odd, but it works (really, one in the left hand, one in the right - just clamp the item being soldered securely). The first time I tried to solder a plate holder back together it failed because I had it locked in a metal clamp - which acted as a heat sink. Cladding the jaws of the clamp with some cork stopped that, and it worked ok.