PDA

View Full Version : APUG Ireland Group

Pages : [1] 2 3

Fintan
05-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Would there be any interest in forming a club/society for Irish APUGers? Perhaps in 2010?

I know some people are already in clubs and I wouldn't be proposing to replace these clubs but I was thinking there is a need for a traditional film only group in Ireland.

We could probably do with formalising the meetups across a year not as we go along. And likewise for exhibitions etc.

I'd be thinking of perhaps

4 meetups a year in different spots around Ireland to shoot 'n' show
1 exhibition
A yearbook
A short trip abroad to another APUG Regional Group
Small membership fee and insurance
Elected committee

Am I off the rails or is this of interest to anyone?

Fintan

melball
05-13-2009, 06:49 AM
that sounds like a good plan Fintan

Mel

Síle
05-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Sounds not only feasible but like a really great idea Fintan!

billschwab
05-13-2009, 09:55 AM
If I lived there, I would join Fintan!

Dinesh
05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
If I lived there, I would join Fintan!

Agreed. I'd be there in a heartbeat (unless Peter was attending!) :p

Vincent Brady
05-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm thinking.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........

Síle
05-13-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm thinking.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........

Uh oh.. we're all in trouble...

Fintan
05-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies, we'll leave the thread open for a week or two and see what the numbers look like and take it from there.

LOL at Tex, I have visions of you tapping that . key like a manic woodpecker :D

and thanks Bill and Dinesh :), honorary membership granted (if we ever get this gig off the ground)

Peter is banned, he hasn't chimed in yet so he is banned, lifetime ban Mr Fizz :D:p:D

seoirse
05-14-2009, 03:34 AM
I'm not fond of the name Apug Club....although in fairness, who the hell am I to object as I am only an occasional visitor to this site.

I'm sorry but to me it conjures up an image of the dandruff and leather elbow patch types who used to (perhaps still do?) inhabit the club photography scene here in Ireland.

Am I being too unfair with that? Sorry, not meant to offend but it's just how I feel.

Would I be correct in saying that the Apug group gets together mainly to shoot film and exhibit images? There is no competitive element as such and that in my opinion can only be a good thing because people don't get pigeon-holed into shooting a certain way or a certain type of image that will please a 'judge'.

Originality should rule where images are concerned.

Maybe it could be called the Apug Film Group instead.

Fintan
05-14-2009, 03:54 AM
George you could say that about every club, theres always that element. Lets call it a group instead for the moment.

If we get a dozen members or so interested enough, we can meet and make decisions on names, competitions etc. Personally I dont want competitions but I would go with a majority verdict.

thefizz
05-14-2009, 07:38 AM

The initiation ceremony consists of having to drink two pints of Guinness so that rules you out Dinesh :p

Fintan
05-14-2009, 07:41 AM
The initiation ceremony consists of having to drink two pints of Guinness so that rules you out Dinesh :p

The initiation ceremony will be determined by the membership, so that rules you out thefizz :p:p

hughitb
05-14-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm normally averse to joining clubs but could make an exception for this ...

thefizz
05-14-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm normally averse to joining clubs but could make an exception for this ...

I'd have the same feeling about clubs and committees, thats why apug is so good.

Fintan
05-14-2009, 09:07 AM
I see where you guys are coming from with the club phobia and the last thing I want to do is create something in the same vein.

However I think formally setting up a group has a lot to offer in terms of better organisation for regular events and a greater sense of participation. I could really do with being part of a group with regular planned out goals and thats not happening with the informal setup that we have here at the moment.

I’m not going to give anyone the hard sell on this, if you fancy getting involved with a group of like minded people and see if theres something in it for you then thats super, if not, no problem.

monosnaps
05-14-2009, 11:25 AM
I would like to get involved and agree that the "club" name would not be a good idea. I might have to buy a new jumper and stop using the head and shoulders. LOL. APUG Ireland as a name is just fine. I could go along with most of your ideas Fintan. Lets see how it goes.

hughitb
05-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Ah yeah ... don't get me wrong ... I'm all for it. Count me in.

Fintan
05-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Great so. I'll ask the mods to change the title of this thread.

So far we have firm interest from;

Fintan
Mel
Síle
Hugh
Eddie

With a few others thinking it over.

Thanks

Fintan

Fintan
05-15-2009, 04:03 AM
will i order everyone a tweed jacket? :D

thefizz
05-15-2009, 04:39 AM
This consideration came into my head last night:

If this new club is going to run exhibitions and a few outings each year, will these events replace what we already are doing here in the Irish region of Apug. If so, what happens to those who don’t wish to join this new club but may still be active here? Can they still take part or are they now excluded?