PDA

View Full Version : My "J"s Won't Aggregat or My Aggregates Won't "J".

wildbillbugman
05-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Hello to All,
Ron-I finaly got ar:Dound to testing SDA3057 and SDE3008. I am using a "workhorse" Br/I emulsion which works very well as an in-camera blue sensitive emulsion.
I first tried adding your suggested amount of SDA3057 with no aditional I.
Then I tried adding 0.3M of I per M of Ag, stirring for 15 minutes prior to dye adition.
In both cases the emulsion came out magenta, not cyan.
Any suggestions?
Kirk and Ray- If you will privide your mailing adresses, I can now send you a small portion of these dyes. Sorry for the delay. You can PM me with the adresses for privacy. But I intend to sell the adresses to"Marketeers". Also report you to the Dept. of Homeland Securety:D.
Regards,
Bill

Photo Engineer
05-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Bill;

I will have to get back to you for the details from my notebook which is not right in front of me, but basically, Iodide always goes in first and then the dye. It is basically the formula for enlarging paper that is the basis for these experiments and the details are there in your class notes. I give the "good" dye in the data sheet, and the "bad" or aggregating dye is not mentioned in the notes as we didn't red sensitize anything.

Remember that you are using 2x the dye level as it is forming a 2x aggregate with 2 molecules of dye, so if one dye uses 100 mg/mole, the "J" aggregate, to be effective, can require 200 mg / mole or at least more than 100 mg/mole.

PE

wildbillbugman
05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Yes Ron,
I was writing of two separate portions of emulsion. One had just The KI present prior to emulsification. The second had Extra KI added 15 minutes prior to the dye adition. But I confess, I added only 100mg of dye per M of Ag.
I am making another batch of emulsion now. I will double up on the dye next time.
Thanks,
Bill

Photo Engineer
05-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Bill;

I checked and it is the SDA3057 at between 100 and 200 mg/mole for 15 mins at 100 - 115 F. This converted the enlarging emulsion from green to red sensitive and of course, fogged under my red safelight as I did not expect it.

PE

wildbillbugman
05-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks PE,
I will try this again with more SDA3057 and more heat. I was cold at 35C.
Bill