PDA

View Full Version : Using Photo-Flo on color negs

DanielStone
05-26-2009, 12:04 AM
hey all,

i've found that by giving my color negs a little soak in photo-flo/distilled h2o after the stabilizer step in my c-41 processing, i have been getting the cleanest negs to date. At least with my personal processing

I seem to remember that someone here recommended that this not be done. I just want to confirm that if it is true.

So, is using a very mild photo-flo/distilled water solution (same as for b/w negs) ok for c-41 films?

I hate having to clean negs before printing......

tiberiustibz
05-26-2009, 12:08 AM
It won't hurt them but they're not getting their bath of bacteria killer. Without that you are likely to get fungus and whatnot eating at your negatives because they lack any silver which protects the gelatine of the emulsion from eating.

Try adding photo flo to the stabilizer if it doesn't contain a surfactant. I know the tetenal press kit doesn't. That's a better way to go. Or buy the C41 stabilizer Kodak sells.

DanielStone
05-26-2009, 03:39 AM
It won't hurt them but they're not getting their bath of bacteria killer. Without that you are likely to get fungus and whatnot eating at your negatives because they lack any silver which protects the gelatine of the emulsion from eating.

Try adding photo flo to the stabilizer if it doesn't contain a surfactant. I know the tetenal press kit doesn't. That's a better way to go. Or buy the C41 stabilizer Kodak sells.

Indeed, I have been using the stabilizer as Kodak reccomends. What I'm wondering is if using the distilled water/photo-flo bath after the stabilizing step will do the negs any harm in the long term.

I don't want any fungus/funk eating my negs thank you very much :)

nworth
05-26-2009, 03:24 PM
The old stabilizer was Photoflo, formalin, and water; the new final rinse contains a wetting agent. Suitably dilute Photoflo should do no harm.

mts
05-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Being too lazy to mix or keep mixed diluted photo-flo, I use stabilizer for both color negative, E-6, and black & white negatives. The formalin isn't needed for b&w owing to the silver content, but it does not hurt. In my opinion, you definitely should be using a stabilizer with a wetting agent, although it's my understanding that the most recent emulsions no longer need the formalin treatment.

tiberiustibz
05-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Modern color emulsions no longer need the dye stabilizing act of the formalin, but they do need the antiseptic properties. Color films dried with only photoflo will not be resistant to bacteria in fungus. You won't see it immediately, but I'd hate to open up a box of negatives in 10 years and find them eaten.

E76
05-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Why do you color negatives need anti-fungal treatment and black and white negatives do not? Is it the dyes or some other difference in the emulsion that makes color film a tasty treat?

Photo Engineer
05-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Do not ever treat a color product with any bath after the stabilser or final rinse. It will eventuallycause problems.

B&W products do not need such treatment due to the fact that the silver metal is an antifungal/bacteriostat and the film contains no juicy organic materials. The silver is not present in color materials, it is all removed during processing.

Color Print materials contain some stabilzers incorporated into the coating, but you can use a stabilzer for color prints as well.

PE

DanielStone
05-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Do not ever treat a color product with any bath after the stabilser or final rinse. It will eventuallycause problems.

B&W products do not need such treatment due to the fact that the silver metal is an antifungal/bacteriostat and the film contains no juicy organic materials. The silver is not present in color materials, it is all removed during processing.

Color Print materials contain some stabilzers incorporated into the coating, but you can use a stabilzer for color prints as well.

PE

so PE,

should i mix the stabilizer/ now final rinse with distilled water as i do with photo-flo? i have a little bit of a hard water problem in my area. not really hard, but enough to leave slight residue on negs. especially color.

tiberiustibz
05-26-2009, 09:33 PM
The kodak stabilizer includes photo flo in it... try adding a bit more concentrate if the water is still beading.

Photo Engineer
05-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Yes, the final rinse or stabilzer is essentially Photo Flo 200 with additives.

Treat it as if it were photo flo and use nothing after that step.

PE

DanielStone
05-27-2009, 12:50 PM
thanks PE =)

mtjade2007
05-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Soak two pieces of sponge with Final Rinse and squeeze them to remove most of the Final Rinse from them. Then use them to squeeze the negative coming out of the Final Rinse. Don't use just water for the sponge. It has to be the Final Rinse. Not only the film dries faster it is much cleaner too. I use to hang dry my negatives and there were always some dust on the film. Ever since I used the sponges there is hardly any dust on my negatives.