PDA

View Full Version : Fuji GX617 - Fix

Blue Monkey
05-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi Folks,

I picked up a Fuji GX617 recently - all is in great shape except it's missing the main film advance lever. (Yes I knew this before hand, but it was a great price). The camera does have the sub metal tab that was under the advance lever that I've been using to advance the film. For the first 2 frames this method is fine, but Frames 3 and 4 are increasingly difficult on the thumb as it spools up.

I contacted Fuji Canada up here and they do not service the model up here anymore and they recommended it be shipped down to the states for $140 dollars - that's just shipping, no repair! Fuji USA said they cannot sell me the part as I am not a authorized Fuji repair/dealer.

I can salvage a lever from a junker camera. I can graft on another lever on to the tab but first I'll need to remove the black ring/cap around the shutter release button and I'm not sure how that is secured on - please see pic.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/126/p1010538k.jpg

I dont see any screws or pins holding it on. Does any one have experience taking this piece off? Would it be screwed on directly or force fit? If I can remove the cap, I can modify another lever to fit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bharat

Blue Monkey
06-12-2009, 01:06 PM
I finally got the film advance lever fixed - for Free!. Well, it did cost half hour in time. I received a lever from a friend that I modified to fit - drilled a bigger hole and screwed it to the existing metal tab. a shot of matt black paint and I'm happy. It's not as big as the original, but fits well and has more than enough leverage to go through a 220 roll.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3079/p1010621a.jpg
I did add a soft release button - in black of course!

Shot a handful of rolls to test out the camera. A few long expired Kodak and Fuji Rolls that I picked up for a buck each and some b+w tmax developed in D76. I uploaded some of those shots - don't mind the dust as they were only quick scans. The colours are off on the Kodak, but the Fuji held up well for being expred in 2001!

GX617 Test Shots: http://cid-8dc80855c3c31849.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Fuji%20GX617%20Panorama

All shots were handheld, except for the forest shots which were with aid of tripod and cable release. Tried a few filters - some worked, some not so much. Could have done without the polarizer - too much variance across the frame, but that was expected, just wanted to see the effect. Lot of light fall off at larger apertures, but pretty good at smaller ones around f22. I'd like to get a center ND filter but haven't come across anyone selling in 77mm.

Let me know what you think - any shooting advice would be appreciated. Thanks, B.

archphoto
06-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Great shots, I like some better in B&W others in color.

This format has something special, a diferent look than most of us are used to, to me these shots are an eye-opener.
Glad you could fix the camera.

Come to think of it: I can get a 6x17 back for my Shen Hao...... and I have to get me a 90mm SA, I don't think I can use my 75mm SA.

Thanks for posting !!!!

Peter

Blue Monkey
06-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks Peter - glad you like the shots. I too find the pano format quite interesting and a break from the norm.

I'm still finding my way around this camera, but I'm very impressed with the stock Fuji 90mm that's on it. Just rescanning some of the select shots and seems like you could see for miles into the frame and everything is so sharp!
The previous scans that I posted were without any sharpening or processing and still they look good (scanned dry on a V750).

The camera is a treat to use as I just carried it around my neck and shot at whim. I did get some bizarre looks when shooting with this camera as it doesn't look anything old or new. The funny thing is, even with just 4 shots to the roll, I find myself reserving each shot for anything "film worthy", but it still goes by quick. A roll of 220 seemed to take forever (all of 8 shots!) as I looked for particular things to shoot. I did find the detachable viewfinder handy as I used just it to scope out "things" before bringing the camera out of the bag. I haven't had a chance to used the GG yet since I've just relied on the viewfinder and hyperfocal focusing - so quick.

Going out this weekend - hope for a good shoot.

archphoto
06-12-2009, 03:08 PM
About that "detachable viewfinder: I have a Linhof Universal Finder that I use in the same way you do with my Sinar P2: you find the shots with it away from the camera and then make the shot.

I looked at ebay if there were any GX617's..... they are expensive !
So it will be a 6x17 back for me and make an insert for my Linhof finder.

Have a great one !

Peter

Nickers
04-08-2010, 03:59 AM
Hey Bahrat,

I am having issues with both of my GX617 film advance levers. I think I will be able to resolve my problems but I cannot for the life of me work out how to remove the lever. Can you tell me how you managed to remove yours?

Assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

Blue Monkey
04-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi Nick,

To remove the lever, unscrew the black ring around the shutter button. That ring is metal (brass I think) so dont put the vise grips to it. I had wrapped it with friction tape and it unscrewed out (counter clockwise). the shutter release button stays in place. The main (plastic) advance lever is probably free floating with a slot underneath it for that metal tab to fit into. Its the metal tab that actually advances the film spool. That metal tab is also free floating with a notch that fits into a keyway for the spool axle(?) so the advance lever is just to provide extra leverage. That's as far as I took it to replace my lever.

Let me know if that helps.

B.

Nickers
04-19-2010, 05:06 AM
Thanks for that Bahrat. I can't believe I didn't see that. I have now successfully managed to open the camera, and have resolved some of the issues, but have some major winding and shutter release issues.

I will have to start looking around Melbourne again to see if anyone has any experience in repairing these cameras. I just cannot believe that both cameras failed at the same time.