PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 17 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Pete H
07-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Well I have received that Turkish flag from Jan (Gennari). I like pictures like this that make you look into the background and think - it comes out quite abstract.

I hope your arm is better soon, too.

cheers
Pete

Rob Skeoch
07-17-2009, 07:25 PM
I'd like to comment on the following cards which I've recently received.......

Walking the Dog and Holga..... Nice shot Wolfgand I really like the effect and think it really works.... good to see you're giving the camera a good walk each day.

Abandoned Farmhouse near Adams Lake by John Addison.... I love the composition and how it shows the scale of the area. Nice detail right down to the fence posts. The contrast of the roof really makes the building stand out against the trees.

Must have been drunk by Greg Buster 6x6.... Great detail on the rocks and the light hitting the corner of the house really works.... also nice shadow detail on the left side.

I have a great shot of a BlackHouse Village from Scotland... the name of the artist is blurred but it's a very nice photo and I love the window on the right hand side. The haze works as well.

The shot of the Wintergardens is very nice.... great blacks with the white framing of the building... very nice work... the name of the artist was blurred on this one as well.

Thanks for sending them along... I'll get mine printed one day.

-rob

mike c
07-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Just received Sly's post card today,beautiful composed and printed old car (Morris).When I was in high school a guy had a Morris Minor van,great looking little car. All though I liked the original Austin Healy mini Cooper a little better,but that was back then today I'd take either one.Thanks Sly

Mike

Buster6X6
07-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Few more cards came last week.
Tocalosh with motion filled silky( I think that's what they are called?)race. Wonderful selective focus image.
Gennari Night celebration of the win over Turkey.Flags point to the event Very nice
Rossbrook House by KWithmore Nice rich blacks and white door to get your attention. Very sharp. Great image.
Alex Fleath Running Child Very thought provoking image, full of anticipation.

Keep them coming. Greg

Pete H
07-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Today I received a Sandscape from Boyd, with really nice textures and patterns accentuated by the low light.
Also Rüdiger's pinhole Schloss: I like the way the formless shadows seem to float on top of the geometrical architecture.

Cheers
Pete

hoffy
07-18-2009, 06:14 PM
I have Wolfgand's interesting IR shot. Up until recently, I hadn't seen this kind of shot before. Interesting effect and has me intrigued.

I am still looking each day for new cards. 6 still to come!

Cheers

Anke Drewitz
07-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Some cards to comment, that I received last five weeks:

tocalosh's Appleby Horse Fair, very well captured action
Wolfgang Moersch's Walking the dog and Holga, so many words are spoken about that print, I agree on them, it's my favorite so far
bpaties's Morning fish brings some holiday feelings of calmness
mooseontheloose's Paris in IR, love the scenery
probably lorirfrommontana's well focused Apple blossoms
probably Rlibersky's vintage print of Disney world
Fleath's child at an exhibition opening implicates some room for many thoughts
drpsilver's Portal in Bodie, a nice detail of a probably interesting location, love the tones
aluk's captured moment at a popular meeting place
and rst's pinhole detail of Schloss Bruchsal, a pointillist view ;)
Thanks so far to all senders!

I have a great shot of a BlackHouse Village from Scotland... the name of the artist is blurred but it's a very nice photo and I love the window on the right hand side. The haze works as well.

Thanks to Rob, Christopher and Pete for your nice comments on my card.
@ Christopher: There's no toning applied to the print, it's just a straight development and the chamoise tone of the paper that works here.

Anke

Christopher Walrath
07-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Name amiss from the card that came in the post today. Strong composition of the hood of a Morris. The water droplets lend a solidity to the print. It's from Canada. Very well done. Let me know and I'll add your name.

BWKate
07-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Christopher,
That shot of a Morris hood is from Sly (Lillian Sly) from Nanaimo. She's just a hour and a half drive from me here in Victoria.

paul_c5x4
07-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Two more:

rst - Pinhole of Schloss Bruchsal

sly - Morris (point of order - 'mericun autos have hoods, trunks & fenders, British cars have bonnets, boots & bumpers ;))

hoffy
07-21-2009, 07:06 AM
I have a couple more that I have received.

Sly's Morris Bonnet - Love the tones, water and reflections. Oh and thanks for the very kind comments!
Tocalosh's Appleby Horse Fair - Wow, an action shot (I have been known to shot a bit of sport in the past, so this appeals to me big time!....wasn't sure if people would appreciate my motorsport shots in the exchange. Maybe next time)! Excellent and good use of motion!

Cheers

lorirfrommontana
07-21-2009, 11:31 AM
I've received quite a few postcards since I last posted. 25 so far! I have not been disappointed! They are all wonderful. Thanks to everyone who participates!
-Lori

Pete H
07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Lillian Sly's Morris bonnet arrived here today. It makes a great abstract and I also like the water droplets. Thanks for the comment too, Lillian. :)

cheers
Pete

crispinuk
07-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Some fantastic cards this round, not that I expected anything less :)
Mine are out in the wild now. I have to apologise about the print quality, not being able to make 50 postcard size cibachromes ;) I used an on-line printing outfit. The c-type test prints I ordered came back looking great (as they usually do from this company), so I went ahead and ordered 50 of their postcard product. Unfortunately they use a different process for the card product and they appear to be halftone printed so have lost some colour depth and sharpness.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy the image as it is.
The photo was taken on Velvia using a Horsman 980 (6x9 format).

mike c
07-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Just received crispinuk's post card a beautiful view of the Harbor and boats of Husavik,Iceland,nice sky and water color,but were is the ice? The card I have Crispen ,is printed very good,thanks.

Mike

mike c
07-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Well lookie this,stuffed and almost lost rst card falls out of ahh arm full of grocery store and furniture adds I received in the mail and was about to trash,lucky card.That is a great photograph Ruediger ,my daughter liked it right off when she first saw it.The sharpness and angular lines are great,she didn't believe me at first when I told her it was taken with a pinhole camera.Thanks Ruediger.

Mike

Christopher Walrath
07-23-2009, 11:09 PM
I got Rudi's card yesterday. Granted, a contact print, but FANTASTIC detail compared to what I would expect from PH, whether contact or enlarged. Well done, R. Very well done.

ozphoto
07-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Finally able to see all the postcards I have received in person! (So much better than viewing on Skype.:p)
So far I've received from the following:

Sly
Fleath
Christopher Walrath
Lori
Pete H
mooseontheloose
Darwin
Wolfgang Moersch
Buster 6x6
kwhitmore
tocalosh

Many thanks to everyone - best mail I got whilst away for 4 months :D
All wonderful cards - thanks to all for the comments. Trying to organise my relocation, so will comment on them all very soon!

Pete H
07-24-2009, 11:21 AM
CrispinUK's card arrived yesterday. Such clarity in the reflections!

Thanks
Pete

crispinuk
07-24-2009, 12:26 PM
...but were is the ice?

Mike

It was taken in August Mike:D However, about 1 1/4 inches down from the top edge and 1/4 inch in from the left edge you can just see some small white blobs through the mist. These are the patches of ice still clinging to the tops of the mountains across the bay.;)