PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 17 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18

Mick Fagan
07-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Nanette, I was interested in the make up of the colour print from Crispin.

First I checked it out under a loupe, it looked like a normal four colour separation screened ruling print, which was interesting.

I then pulled out a screen ruling tester, which is something I haven't used in about 25 years. The screen rulings are 175 lines per inch (LPI), which is quite fine, normal good magazine reproduction is 150 LPI.

Mick.

Rob Skeoch
07-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Received two more this week
Little Angel from Mark Rewald
Husavik Iceland from Crispin Summers

Nice work.

-rob

ozphoto
07-31-2009, 08:59 PM
One more this week

Rudiger's Schloss Bruchsal

Hmmm, now having a 5x4 pinhole camera has tweeked my interest......

hoffy
07-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Howdy,

Two more for me this week, Crispin's Husavik and Rudigers Schloss Bruchsal.

Crispin, glad you waited till the Fog got burn't off. Nice shot!
Rudiger, this has me intrigued. I have never really experienced Pin hole work before, until this exchange. Interesting.

Pete H
07-31-2009, 11:33 PM
Three more this week
Jacco's harmonious shades of blue from the textile museum,
Horns and thorns from Pat Parker - it looks like an uncomfortable shot to get!
Little angel from Mark Rewald has great textures

cheers
Pete

Pete H
08-01-2009, 03:06 PM
... and today Mick Fagan's niece arrived. It's nice to see another portrait from you, Mick. I think you have a distinctive portrait style in the composition and the tonality used for the print, which we've seen in previous rounds too. :)

cheers
Pete

rst
08-02-2009, 01:37 PM
So, times have been a little bit busy for me the last weeks. Now I sit in front of my computer, a cup of tea next to me on the right and a pile of postcards on my left. I went through that pile already several times and I think that I received many great cards so far. As I promised, here are some comments on this rounds postcards.

Before I start - my daughter sent out her postcards yesterday, they should arrive soon in your mailbox. She also likes to say thank you for the wonderful postcards she received. Some of you have realized, that two postcards go to the same address and decided to send two different cards. It makes me think about myself because she almost always gets the nicer cards - not that I think the cards sent to me are not nice :)

Now, let me go through this loooooooong list in no specific order:

ozphoto - a very graphic and contrasty IR shot of a tree. Very nice, I like it.
mckenna - a longhorn, curious about how that looked, you in the grass next to the longhorn. Nice play with fore- and background.
markrewald - I like your little angel. Almost looks like wearing a mask.
sly - A detail of a Morris. This looks very good. Well captured and well printed. You reached my contrast comfort zone ;)
labcoat - A postcard full of details of Cathedral House Hotel. Very nice tonality and very well printed. I never got warm with the Deltas, but you have it under control.
crispinuk - one of the rare color postcards. This is a nice one, full of great reflections. I like this kind of saturated colors.
kwhitmore - Rossbrook House. One of the postcards which made me smile. I like it. Interesting that it is still called house ...
BlackDog - I got it together with the print from the APUG print exchange. But would it have been alone in the mailbox, I would have known this is a "BlackDog-postcard". Thank you Jake.
tocalosh - Appleby Horse Fair. Yeah this is a great one. Very dynamic.
Christopher Walrath - Odd Fellows Cemetery. I like it. It has a point.
PhotoGys - Very moody. I think it transports atmosphere very well. Good print, I like it.
Mike Wilde - You captured the movement of the water very well. Good.
bwakel - Your experimental IR morning works very well for me. Thanks you.
rmann - White Door, Hurley Barn, I had to check twice that it is not the door of Rossbrook House ;) I like this kind of images.
paul_c - Daimler SP250. I tried some time to find you in the reflections. But without success. Anyway, great contrast and I like the composition.
mooseontheloose - Paris. Your position must have been next to the bench where I took a rest when visiting Paris last year. Unfortunately I was not able to take such an intriguing photograph at that spot. This is one of the photographs of this round which I come back to again and again and ...
MattKing - Walkway. I like the composition - what will be at the end of the walkway. Nice.
Pete H - I like this one, a great combination of sharp detail in the rocks and movement in the water ... and the contrast ;)
Anke Drewitz - a good demonstration of how paper tone adds to the subject. Thanks.
johnnywalker - Abandoned farmhouse. I like the composition. The upright format fits very well.
Buster6x6 - Must have been drunk.This is a funny one and I like how you printed it. Thanks.
hoffy - It's Free! A very nice central composition and very well printed. Nice tonality.
Fleath - Child running in an art gallery. I like this play of light and shadow and the movement. One of my favorites.
aluk - one to take a walk in the image. Thanks.
drpsilver - Portal Bodie. Another door of abandoned house. That seems to be a theme of the current exchange, but I like them all. Thanks.
Wolfgang Moersch - Walking the Dog and Holga. Wow, what a glow in the foliage. Great print. Also thanks for the beautiful print you sent to Judith, she likes it very much. Well, me too.
lorirfrommontana - Signs. This is also a funny one. I like it.
Gennari - Turkish flag. Very atmospheric. I like this one very much.
OMU - Mooring pole. Very quiet. I like these kind of images.
bpaties - Sandscape - Woodgate. Ahhhh nice.
Rlibersky - Kodak darkroom. Very nice, I like it.
mike c - Wow, what great texture. The toning work very well for this. This was one of the first images arriving at my door and it is just great.

I also want to thank everyone who commented my postcards, thank you for the kind words.

Cheers
Ruediger

BWKate
08-02-2009, 09:59 PM
I am sorry I'm late again but I'm at the darkroom right now and I am printing my postcards... Will post when I send them in the mail. I have recieved some awesome postcards recently and when I have some time i will post some comments..

rst
08-03-2009, 04:15 AM
There arrived four more postcards:

Mick Fagan - a beautiful portrait of his niece. As ever, you got it right.
kraker - as Pete already mentioned very harmonic shades of blue. I like it.
Roger Bulcock - a very moody shot of small boats in the fog. Like it.
jst - my daugter sent, well, what I already knew. I am pretty happy with her choice.

Cheers
Rüdiger

paul_c5x4
08-03-2009, 06:49 AM
Last two arrived:

markrewald "Little Angel" - Like the weathered texture of the statue and the relative shallow depth of field works well.

mckenna "Horns & Thorns" - Has an almost IR look to it. Dry grass and noon sun perhaps.

My first postcard exchange, and the anticipation of awaiting for the arrival of the postman has got me hooked - The range of subject matter and styles has got me fired up for the next round.

Rob Skeoch
08-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I finally printed mine yesterday. So I'm making some progress.
I received Mick Fagan's beautiful photo of his niece Hannah this week.

-Rob

Christopher Walrath
08-04-2009, 10:41 AM
I've gotten three cards in the last few days.

Jacco's 'Blues'. The hues in this print are great. Fantastic exposure.

Jake's grainy abstract Untitled. I'm not even going to begin to guess as to the subject matter. Might ruin the surprise. And Jake's penmanship is almost as striking to view as the photograph itself. Fun card.

And there's Roger's foggy morning. The faint vessels to the right and the hint of a shoreline to the left lend a great sense of depth to this photograph. My laptop's getting damp just writing about it.

Fantastic cards by all I have received thus far (close to 20).

Buster6X6
08-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Last week I received some more cards.
blues bykraker not to many color ones arrive but this one looks great like crispin's out of fog well saturated colors and gives it a nice break when you look at all the cards together.
"Horns&Thorns" byPat Parker The low position indicate that long horns can be wild. Good image.
Mick Fagan with Hannah. Again it is an amazing portrait as always thanks Mick for the kind comments on my post card.
Jake Williams Bunker #9 very nice photo of an land mark that will disappear probably in the future. I like the grainy look of the concrete.
"Little Angel" By Mark Rewald Very interesting image and what a nice soft framing of the picture.

Very successful round Thanks everyone for nice coments .

Greg

Eric Mac
08-04-2009, 08:00 PM
My postcards finally hit the mailbox today. I know the folks in Europe will get theirs before the guy in California does.

Eric

Pete H
08-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Yesterday 2 cards arrived:
Roger Bulcock's very foggy morning - the seagull balances the boats nicely.
Wayne Frederick's steam boiler giving us a glimpse of the past.
:)
Thanks!
Pete

Pete H
08-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Today another beauty from Judith (jst). You're right, the guy does add some fun. I like the way it is printed too - the dark pews, middle pillars, and the lighter roof and altar give a sense of the height and space. :)

Vielen Dank!

Pete

Christopher Walrath
08-05-2009, 08:20 PM
I got Mick's 'Hannah' today. The focus and the expression of expectation make this shot perfect. She must be a doll. Thanks, Mick. Well done.

Rob Skeoch
08-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I mailed mine yesterday.
Great turn-out by the Canadians.... 13 Canucks involved in this exchange.

-Rob

Christopher Walrath
08-07-2009, 07:49 PM
I got Eric's 'Rock and Roll Girl' today. Subject right down front and on your face. She may be facing the stage but one wonders what going on in that head. Great print. It has a good 'low light' feel to it.

mike c
08-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Got Black Dog's card,the Will Blake quote is very appropriate. Like the lite shadowy fox tails swaying with the wind.Also received Roger B. card of seagull flying over a group of boats moored on a foggy day,nice work.

Mike C