PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 17 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

mike c
06-04-2009, 12:22 AM
And all that is heard was the great roar of postcard engines flying threw the mail !!!! thought I'd add a little more excitement at the start line.

mike c.

Pete H
06-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Yes! They're in the post ... :)

hoffy
06-04-2009, 06:37 AM
ohhh dear. After reading Lori's exploits (I am a total newbie to printing as well, let along a post card exchange), I'm starting to feel a little nervous.....

Luckily we have a bit of time.....and a long weekend to finally get this printing malarky down to an acceptable level!

Christopher Walrath
06-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Mine are in the post as well. I'm one of the eager beavers. Hope you guys like it. If anyone on my list does not receive by the 24th PM me and I'll resend. That should enough time I should think.

lorirfrommontana
06-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah! I'll get mine out today also! This is so much fun! Hoffy don't worry about it. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist. My children are trying to break me of it but I think I have passed the affliction on! Can't wait to see all the postcards. I'll be gone for a week so I should have some to come home to!
Lori

mooseontheloose
06-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Mine are in the post as well, and if you don't receive one, let me know, but I won't be able to do anything about it until I return from Japan in September.

paul_c5x4
06-04-2009, 11:14 AM
ohhh dear. After reading Lori's exploits (I am a total newbie to printing as well, let along a post card exchange), I'm starting to feel a little nervous....

I'm in the same boat... Trying to decide on a crop of an old banger or two, a local street scene, or some gaudy architectural detail.

MattKing
06-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Here they are, just before their journey:

I finished them a couple of days ago, at the same time I finished my prints for APUG group exchange 12.

They have now all been mailed, with the ones for the USA sent from that side of the border.

I look forward to reading what you think.

Matt

Christopher Walrath
06-04-2009, 07:03 PM
I DIDN'T WANT TO SEE THAT YET!!!!!!!!!!!! ;p

Roger Thoms
06-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Oh Matt, now the surprise is ruined.

Roger

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
06-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Does anyone have any experience with mailing 8.9x14cm (3 1/2 x 5 1/2") postcards? I've sent them within Australia, but I'm not sure if they'd work going abroad. They're a bit below your standard 10x15/4x6" size...
I've got 100 sheets of it sitting here, but if not I'll go and try to track down a box of Ilford postcard paper.

MattKing
06-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Oh Matt, now the surprise is ruined.

Roger

Roger (and Christopher):

You do realise that the attachment to my post is not the postcard image itself, but rather all 24 cards waiting to be dispatched?

Besides, the attachment's angle of view was chosen carefully - enough to tease, but not enough to reveal all ;)

Matt

MattKing
06-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Does anyone have any experience with mailing 8.9x14cm (3 1/2 x 5 1/2") postcards? I've sent them within Australia, but I'm not sure if they'd work going abroad. They're a bit below your standard 10x15/4x6" size...
I've got 100 sheets of it sitting here, but if not I'll go and try to track down a box of Ilford postcard paper.

Alex:

I have sent out 5x7s and 4x5s from Canada in the postcard exchange. They comply with Canadian postal requirements, but I understand that at least the 5x7 size would be in breach of the rules for cards originating in the USA. Despite that, I never had any problems with the ones that were sent to USA destinations (or any other destinations either).

Your Australian post office people may be able to answer the question for sure.

Matt

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
06-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Checked with Australia Post, the minimum size for a postcard to be considered a postcard is 88x138mm, so my 89x140mm juuuust scrapes by.

I've mailed a couple 5x7s to the US as well and they apparently arrived, so as long as it complies in the country of origin it seems to be OK. I've sent a lot of nonsense through the mail myself, but I'm a little paranoid this will be the one time I make a silly mistake and 50-odd postcards get lost in the ether.

hoffy
06-04-2009, 11:25 PM

I don't know your current location, but where can you get the Ilford Postcard paper in Aust (or more specifically, Adelaide). My usual haunts (Totals, P/wholesalers, Photoco) don't have it in stock and I couldn't see it in the Vanbar listings either.

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
06-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Vanbar have one of the worst online shops in the hemisphere, in my humble opinion. But! they do have it listed, under an entirely dumb name, "Ilford MGRCP 10.0x15.0 100sh portfolio", Ref No: i252-100 - no mention of it's postcard nature at all, but that's the one, $40.08.
If you email them (orders@vanbar.com.au) they should be able to tell you if they have it in stock. They also let you pay via direct deposit, which was always handy for me when I was starting out - but keep in mind their postage expense is almost always $20, no matter how small an object you're buying.
I did purchase a box from them about 2 years ago, but when I tried to order some stuff from them back in January, it took them a month to call me back, so I'm a bit iffy about them now. I was gonna go to Total Photographics and try to beg them to order some in for me...

hoffy
06-04-2009, 11:51 PM
$20?!???! for postage?

I probably could get it cheaper from freestyle or even B&H!!

Thanks for that. I was going to either cut some bigger sheets up or use the smaller gear, but I like the idea of the convenience of having the paper as is.

johnnywalker
06-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Here I am stuck up in northern B.C., far from my darkroom, fretting about blackflies, mosquitoes, grizzly bears and getting stuck in the mud and you guys are sending out postcards already! I haven't even chosen a negative yet. Oh well, maybe I'll get the definitive picture of a blackfly while I'm here.

drpsilver
06-05-2009, 01:11 AM
04 June 2009

WOW, this round is starting fast! Unfortunately most of June is going to be very full with activities and commitments.:( My hope is that I will have cards in the mail by month-end.

Thanks to all who have already posted cards. I look forward to seeing your work.

Regards,
Darwin

hoffy
06-05-2009, 05:05 AM
$20?!???! for postage?

I probably could get it cheaper from freestyle or even B&H!!

Thanks for that. I was going to either cut some bigger sheets up or use the smaller gear, but I like the idea of the convenience of having the paper as is.

I take that back.

$60 for postage from Freestyles for a pack of paper...yikes