PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 17 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

hoffy
06-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Howdy all,

I got my first few cards as well. Its rather exciting isn't it!!!
mooseontheloose (you are popular at the moment). GOAL!! Very interesting shot. I love the total scene. I have never really seen a shot taken and processed in this manor, so its very appealing to me!
lorirfrommontana Hey! You have some runs on the board! Again, love the scene. Good work!

Now, I have some water settling to the right temp at the moment, two rolls of film to develop and a whole bunch of contact sheets to do, and then hopefully I can find a print! like I said, exciting, isn't it!

FotoGys
06-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Glad you liked my card, Rudy. I got my card from Guus today. It has become a regular thing this week that my family announces upion my arrival that I have another card today and, after having already looked at it, they view it with me together and we talk about where it came from, what it reminds me of.

Something else to look forward to and to do as a family. Something I had not anticipated with the postcard exchange. Thanks again, Rudy, and everyone for this. Oh, and Guus, very simple image, the type I might pass up most days but it accomplished what I try to do in my own photography. Point out the things that, even we more observant types, we pass by without a thought everyday. And for that reason, it is the best one I have gotten thus far.

Christopher,

thanks for the positive remarks. I myself am also enthousiastic about this photo and only because as you mentioned that it's a everyday scene we just pass by

Guus

Roger Thoms
06-12-2009, 02:16 PM
mike c. I received your card, very nice image, I especially like the rich brown tones you achieved on the Ilford postcard paper. Care to let us in on your process.

Thanks,
Roger

mike c
06-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I ain't no expert,this was the first time I used Kodak sepia II toner,fallowed by selenium 1/9. I'm happy you liked Roger, could you understand the mumbling I wrote on the back. Ha,Ha I'm such a bad writer.

Mike

Roger Thoms
06-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Mike, thanks. And yes I understood the mumbling quite clearly, does that mean I'm fluent in Mumble?

Roger

lorirfrommontana
06-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I just got back from 4H camp. It was a lot of fun. I returned to 6 more cards! A Barn door from Robert Mann. Very cool. A Rocks and Water shot from Pete H. Cool. The awesome soccer shot from mooseontheloose, a car from Paul C, nice. A cool looking moth from Mike C. A beautiful road through a misty field from Guus. All shots were very cool! Thanks everyone. This is going to be a fun collection to display.
-Lori

lorirfrommontana
06-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Received another today. A nice shot of beech trees by bwakel. Thanks!

It is so much fun to go to the mail now! I am heading out to go get an album for my postcards.

Christopher Walrath
06-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I'm suffering two-day withdrawl. ;p

Rlibersky
06-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Finally get to send them out. Unfortunately while I was going through them I notice a few had fixer stains. So if your going to keep it you may want to wash them. Certainly don't stack with other you are planning on keeping.

Sorry about that.

Randy

Pete H
06-14-2009, 04:30 AM
I've been away this week, and got home to a whole stack of cards :)

Rmann's white door. You can't beat large format for tone and detail. Is it a crop or did you use a shrinker instead of an enlarger?
Lori's signs. That must be a long-lost relative in Montana (Harris 7.8m).
Barry's bluebell woods. Interesting effect. I keep expecting a Cossack to appear through the woods.
The cemetery from Christopher Walraith. An optimistic message - life goes on as the tree hides the gravestone.
Matt King's whimsical wetland walkway. It looks like a good bird watching area too.
The shot from Guus is a tranquil country lane. To me it evokes the sound of rooks cawing.
The IR shot of the Sacré Coeur from Rachelle is simply brilliant! The boy and the Basilica create a diagonal tension, the clouds and trees to the upper left add a second diagonal to draw attention to the church, the boy standing on the right forms another diagonal with the near boy, great timing for the kick. Wish I'd taken that shot!

Thanks to all!
Pete

mooseontheloose
06-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Lori - I received your postcard this week. It arrived a little scratched up from the postal machines but the print still looks great. I love those old sign posts!

Well, I guess that's my only card I'm going to receive until I get back from Japan in September. A few cards have already arrived at my parent's place but they'll be sending me the whole lot when I return in the fall. I'll make all my comments then!

bkalafut
06-14-2009, 07:11 PM
The last of mine, to European and Canadian addresses, went out with yesterday morning's mail. I also received my first, from Pete H, a long-exposure shot of a rocky cataract taken from an interesting angle--very nice.

Mike Wilde
06-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Mine got labelled and posted at lunchtime today. All it took was the first postcard to arrive at my end, and for my wife to not have me scheduled to do something on her list for every day over the past weekend.

rmann
06-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally, I put this in the wrong thread -

I have received some cards - very nice - really glad I joined this enterprise.

So far I have gotten cards from:

Chis - love the live tree surrounding the tombstone
Rachelle - great IR shot - another reason for Kodak to bring this film back
Lori - Interesting - everyone lives to the left and one even puts up their phone number
Pete - love water shots, especially moving over rocks

Someone asked - the shot I sent is a reduction and slightly cropped, I thought it was easier to set up the "enlarger" for multiple prints rather then use a contact printing frame.

Looking forward to getting the rest in mail -

Robert

Tim Gray
06-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Just got back from a week in Sweden to be greeted by a whole stack of cards. I'll write some comments about them soon... :)

In the meantime, I wanted to say that for anybody who uses Latex for other purposes, there's a nice 'labels' package that works great. I was using some OS X program called pearLabelizer, but the labels package for latex is significantly easier. If you are comfortable with Latex already...

Just prepare a text file with each address separated by ONE blank line and a very simple tex file which includes the layout dimensions for your label sheet (margins, number of labels, and spacing inside and outside of each label) and you're done. It also has a function for adding a border around your labels so you can soft proof the page.

Pete H
06-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Mike C's moth arrived after flying across the Atlantic - no wonder it's resting! Seriously, the wood and hairy moth textures are really rich and I like the toning treatment too.

Cheers
Pete

mike c
06-16-2009, 02:59 PM
I was wondering where that moth went off to,after I took that picture never saw him again. Thanks for the kind words Pete.

Mike

Roger Thoms
06-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Mike - More kind words. I've been playing around with different toners for my postcards. Selenium, home brew polytoner, your sepia II/selenium, straight sepia II and guess what. The sepia II/selenuim is the clear winner. Thanks again for the info your toning process.

Roger

mike c
06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Well that's great Roger, I've never toned much before, just got lucky.

Mike

Christopher Walrath
06-16-2009, 11:39 PM
It occurred to me that I omitted these details from the backs of my cards so if anyone would like to know . . .

Title- 'Etched In Stone' (straight scan in my gallery)
Exposed in 2007
Minolta sr-T101
TMY (ISO 400 TMax)
Developed in HC110 Dil B for 6 minutes
Printed on Arista RC VC Paper
Dodging and burning employed
Printed at f/16 for 40 seconds

I'm dying to get more cards, myself. I'm glad everyone is pleased with mine thus far. I had fun printing them.