PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 17 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

lorirfrommontana
06-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi all! I have sure enjoyed the postcards I have received. I just want to say that if you should have gotten a card from me and did not let me know. I would hope that they all should have reached their destinations by now! I have 15 or so postcard papers left and can make another run if needed to replace those lost or damaged. Just let me know! Lori

Pete H
06-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Two more cards arrived today:
A wonderful IR shot from one of Wolfgang Moersch's walks with the dog - it has a beautiful finish and I like the negative space in the dark parts of the sky.
Great tones in Black Dog's still life and a pleasing hint of warmth from the selenium toner.

Thanks!

Pete

Black Dog
06-24-2009, 04:03 PM
White Door,Hurley barn by Rmann-love this kind of subtle surreal detail!

Sacre Coeur by Mooseontheloose-nice to see a very different take on a much photographed landmark.

Glasses by Pete H-Dreamlike abstraction enhanced by the unsharp sharpness of the pinhole.

Odd Fellows Cemetery by Christopher A Walrath-Sombre and moody with the gravestone and trees gradually growing together.

Walkway by Mattking-Reminiscent of an Andy Goldsworthy or Richard Long sculpture.

Apple Blosoms by Lorifrommontana-pleasingly subtle bokeh.

mike c
06-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Just got DRPSILVER's post card today.Looks good,I like the frame with in a frame,my eyes just walk right into and through the door frame,very cool.I'm surprised there is anything left out there,its been a known scenic place for a long time.

Mike

lorirfrommontana
06-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I just received DRPSILVER's card today. Love it.

Christopher Walrath
06-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I gotDarwin's card as well. My first one in two weeks. I love the use of tone in this one. From the shadows in the rocks to the grain in the wood. It's a great shot. Thank you very much, Darwin. I love it.

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
06-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Mailed mine out today, and got ozphoto's postcard to boot, another HIE postcard - a very familiar scene to me and a brilliant photo.

paul_c5x4
06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Two more in the post. Wolfgang Moersch's IR Holga shot - I've tried the Adox IR820 film and didn't get anything as good as this.

Darwin (a.k.a. drpsilver) "Portal, Bodie" - Got a bit chewed by the postal system and kinda makes me curious as to where in Bodie this was taken.

drpsilver
06-26-2009, 02:35 PM
26 June 2009

Mike, Lori, Chis, and Paul:

I am glad you like the card.:D It was a challenge to get this image because I was working "in between raindrops".

Bodie is just north of Mono Lake on the east side of the Sierra in California. In the late 1800's it was the most populous town in CA. Why? It sat on one of the richest veins of gold found in the "Mother Lode". Alas after about 20 or 30 years is became a ghost town, and now a State Park. The striking thing about Bodie is how well preserved it is. Being located at at 8000 feet elevation and in a very dry environment is the primary reason (little water => little rot). This photograph was made in north part of Bodie near the jail and "Chinese section" of town.

It is a really neat place to photograph.

Regards,
Darwin

paul_c5x4
06-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Bodie is just north of Mono Lake on the east side of the Sierra in California.
<snip>
It is a really neat place to photograph.

Having been there twice in recent years, I would agree up to a point - It is best to get there "out of season" and early in order to avoid the tourists. Friends of Bodie arrange one Saturday each month where you can get in before sun up and stay till dark without getting a $300 ticket - This (I think) has to be booked in advance, details here. (http://www.sierrastateparks.org/bodie/special_events.htm)

If only we were allowed to shoot the itinerants lolling around in the background :D

drpsilver
06-26-2009, 04:19 PM
26 June 2009

Having been there twice in recent years, I would agree up to a point - It is best to get there "out of season" and early in order to avoid the tourists. Friends of Bodie arrange one Saturday each month where you can get in before sun up and stay till dark without getting a $300 ticket - This (I think) has to be booked in advance, details here. (http://www.sierrastateparks.org/bodie/special_events.htm)

If only we were allowed to shoot the itinerants lolling around in the background :D

Paul:

I agree with you about trying avoid the masses of people that visit Bodie. I have been fortunate enough the be on some workshops that allowed us to visit, and photograph, inside some of the buildings.:D Otherwise it is a challenge not to have people in your photographs. Thanks for the link to "Friends of Bodie". I did not know that they sponsored "photography days".

Regards,
Darwin

lorirfrommontana
06-26-2009, 06:27 PM
I just got Wolfgang Moersch's walks with the dog today in the mail. What an awesome shot. It is so much fun to come home to find new postcards. This is very addictive!
Lori

hoffy
06-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Mine are finally printed (I re-did one lot). Just need to get some stamps this morning and hopefully they will go in the mail on Monday.

I know I only had a very small list, but its now been over 2 weeks since I have gotten one.....I'm feeling left out!! ;)

Christopher Walrath
06-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Please. If anyone who has me on their list and has not received my card, PM me so I can resend. I would think everyone should have gotten them by now. I sent out on the 4th so it has been 22 days (19 postal days).

Let me know. Thanks.

bwakel
06-27-2009, 03:59 AM
Thoght it was about time I caught up with some feedback on the wonderful cards received since Pete H's first card - the quality is very high this round (lots of IR too - must have been spring!):

Wolfgang Moersch - A beautiful IR shot. The cloud seems to be a mirror of the tree. Well seen and well taken
Black Dog - A very poignant picture of his nephew. The atmosphere is superb as is the print
Darwin - A very topical shot! The remains of the bank at Bodie
Mooseontheloose - A stunning IR shot. The timing is spot on and it almost looks like a Photoshop montage it's so surreal and beautiful
Lorirfrommontana - A wonderfully quirky set of wooden signs to what appear to be individuals' houses!

Thanks

Barry

Pete H
06-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Darwin's card arrived today. It looks like quite a long time since that bank had any gold, but the silver print is a gem. Now there's a mixed metaphor ... :)
Thanks Darwin!

Pete

MattKing
06-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Previously I have received, enjoyed and commented upon a card from one APUGer (mooseontheloose).

The most recent arrivals are from:

Black Dog -“Still Life (games)” - the print exudes warmth
Christopher Walrath - “Etched in Stone” - an eerie print of a haunting subject - it’s really interesting to compare the print with the scan in Christopher’s Gallery
drpsilver - “Portal Bodie” - a really interesting relic and a rich print to draw you in
lorirfrommontana - “signs” a nice print of an intriguing artifact that begs the question - “why???”
MattKing - hey - this looks familiar :)
Pete H - “glasses” - it always amazes me how creative the “pinhole” people are here, and Pete’s card is a great example
Wolfgang Moersch - “Walking the Dog and Holga” - an IR shot that glows, and a fantastic print in support

I look forward to the cards that are yet to come from:

(Allen Friday, bdial, Buster6X6, crispinuk, Fleath, Jon King, markrewald, Mick Fagan, Rob Skeoch, Roger Bulcock, rst, rtbadman, sly, syzygy_moi, Síle, Tim Gray, tocalosh)

Thanks to everyone for participating.

Matt

FotoGys
06-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Hello again,

last week I received a very nice IR picture from Wolfgang, made with a Holga and also a real nice shot from Darwin (drpsilver).
Oh and thanks to both for the compliments I received on the photograph I send.

Guus

Pete H
06-29-2009, 11:45 PM
aluk's card arrived yesterday. Students really are young these days :)

Thanks!
Pete

Buster6X6
06-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Finally my cards are away.
Two more cards arrived last couple of days :
DRPSILVER Portal Bodie excellent silver print. Delta 100 what a beautiful film. Well done.
Aluk Three Bares Park. Well seen and printed. Great shot.

Greg