PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 17 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

sly
07-08-2009, 03:06 PM
I mailed mine out yesterday, but I'm thinking I might not have put "Johnnywalker" anywhere on the card. There is a "John" on one side though, and a tree or two on the other, not to spoil the anticipatory excitement I'm sure the 20 lucky recipients are all feeling right now.:D

John, I signed up for the max, but you were not on the address list I recieved. I've just been preparing my cards, (51 of them) and I checked thrice for your name.

OMU
07-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I have received a nice card from Drpsilver from a Portal. A nice contact print with a great tonality, must have been a big job printning postcard as contact copy!

Fleath has send a card with a child running in an art gallery. The photo is full of actions and he has captured a nice moment of childhood.

Lately there has been to much work and to little time to have fun in the darkroom, but at least I have printed my postcard for this round. The’ l be will be sent in a few of days.

rst
07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
John, I signed up for the max, but you were not on the address list I recieved. I've just been preparing my cards, (51 of them) and I checked thrice for your name.Lillian, the maximum does not mean that you have every participant on your list. That would only be possible if everyone would signup for the max.

Cheers
Rüdiger

drpsilver
07-08-2009, 05:40 PM
08 July 2009

The cards received over the past two weeks show a wide variety of subjects and topics.:D

The card from Fleath indeed full of action. I wonder what the child was so interested in. Well composed and printed.
Johnnywalker's photography draws me into the meadow where this cabin sits. Must be a neat place to photograph. I really like the range of tones in the print. Well done.
The wavy brick walls in Buster6x6's photograph prompt lots of questions. Why would someone design a building like this? For what purpose? Well done and nicely printed. The slight warm paper base give the print a feeling of being old.
The card from Wolfgang Moersch is a great example of why IR is so neat. It is nice to see that Efke IR820 gives such good results. Looks like the Holga you got has fairly good optics. Very well done. Two questions though: (1) what is the equivalent Wratten number for RG 715, and (2) what is "Finol"?
Lastly, I received a card without any identification, only my address. It is a photograph of a Scrabble board with a word spelled on it. Very nice used of depth-of-field to relate a message. Well done whoever made the card. The country of origin is Canada. Any takers?:confused:

Thanks to all for all the nice images.

Regards,
Darwin

Pete H
07-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Two cards arrived today after a fallow period - woo hoo!

Greg (Buster6x6) sent a very wonky wall. Does it bow outwards too? Must have been quite a skilled bricklayer to stop that from falling down during the construction.

JohnnyWalker sent a log cabin which is completely dwarfed by the trees behind. The effect is enhanced by placing the cabin close to the bottom of the picture.

Thanks!
Pete

OMU
07-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Wolfgang, Your card arrived Saturday. Thanks.
I have never tried the Adox paper, looks nice and I' l probably try some next time I'm out of paper. :-)

Christopher Walrath
07-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I received a card from Anke in the post today. A beautifully toned print of a bladehouse in Scotland. A very soft photograph that speaks thomes of the history of Scotland. I love it for its simplicity above all else. Very well seen.

paul_c5x4
07-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Two more received:

Fleath: Running child.
tocalosh: Appleby Horse Fair.

Pete H
07-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Three cards have arrived while I've been away ...
A very graphic set of mooring poles from Odd Magnus (omu) - tusen takk!
The warm treatment of Anke's blackhouse village is complements the misty atmosphere.
Sam Sharpe (tocalosh) sent a very dynamic shot from Appleby horse fair.

Thanks all!

Pete

kraker
07-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi fellow Postcard Exchangers.

Here's a quick message to break my own deafening silence.

I've been unexpectedly busy with a lot of other things, and haven't found the time to comment on the cards received. I promise I will post detailed comments later on, but for now, I just want to say that I have received beautiful postcards in this round up to now. Thanks!

As for my own cards: I'm working on them. It'll be a bit different than my usual contribution, but I hope you'll like them nonetheless. I plan to send them all before the end of the month.

bpaties
07-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi all
I too have been very slack and haven't yet commented on the fabulous set of cards that I have already received ... but I will do soon.

As for my cards, they are now in the mail ... I did three different shots to send around, so I hope that you received one that you like ...

boyd

mike c
07-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Just received a card from Tocalosh, what a great show of motion,the horse looks really cool running along the ever moving crowd . The rider and buggie are centered clearly by focus, great post card,thanks Sam. If anyone has not received one of my postcards let me know I sent them out at the get go.

Mike

sly
07-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I have finally put my postcards in the mail. Now I'm just behind on the alt print exchange (.....and the garden, and the housework, and paperwork for my job, and.......)

Mike Wilde
07-16-2009, 12:09 PM
I have been getting a postcard here and there. Many are very fine.

I will have to comment in more detail later; I am busy like mad at work, and trying to issue a tender document I'm writing before heading off on vacation in a week.

Plus all of the packing for the vacation, which is a 16 day road trip around Lake Michigan, and a good part of Superior with a week of wilderness canoeing with the family happening part way though

You can tell that in the northern hemisphere that we are in the middle of summer.

People are out doing other things than getting busy in the darkroom and getting the cards in the mail as soon as the addresses come out.

tocalosh
07-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks mike. I'm amazed how quick it got to you. I posted all my cards on Monday night. Under 36 hours to get from darkest Northumberland to LA is fast!

mike c
07-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks mike. I'm amazed how quick it got to you. I posted all my cards on Monday night. Under 36 hours to get from darkest Northumberland to LA is fast!
You must have used those special stamps, or I guess the postal service was haveing a good day.

Mike

Christopher Walrath
07-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I got Sam's card today as well. All I can say is that you knocked the focus out of the park. Talk about emphasizing the subject. Very well done indeed. Thank you for sending it on, Sam.

Pete H
07-16-2009, 10:20 PM
KWhitmore's card arrived yesterday. The door is somehow incongruous because of the contrast in colour and the perspective. Nice one!

Cheers
Pete

rst
07-17-2009, 03:33 AM
OK, mine went to the post office yesterday. Sorry for being so late, but it is a bit tough right now. Usually I send the cards with comments on received cards which is always a good reason to grab through the cards from the last round, looking at all the beautiful images received. I have not had the time this round. I will do so again next round. Promised.

Cheers
Rüdiger

Gennari
07-17-2009, 11:36 AM
As my cards are 90% out, let me shortly elaborate a bit on the shot - the photo was made after germany beat turkey in the semi-finals of the euro08 3:2. the second flag is actually russian and not german, as one would be inclined to think. And i believe it is a nice touch that these semi-immigrants didn´t mind partying with the rest of the german population.

A few comments on some of the cards I received:

First off was Pete H with a very nicely executed and beatifully printed (love the dark stone) "chliché"

Next Rachelle (mooseontheloose) and Mr. Mörsch (nice baryt paper) with some nice IR imaging.

Fleath with a intruiging mystery shot and KWhitmore with a perplexing and fun mirror shot.

Tocalosh`s card as has been said is nicely captured and beatifully printed.

But the card that really stands out from the crowd (for me at least) is Rüdiger´s absolutely stunning etude in tonality. Very sweet.

Many thanks to everyone who is participating, and I hope my subject suits at least some of you, I had a hard time choosing a photo, this being my first postcard exchange. Next time I will probably choose a medium format print, but at the time I thought square pictures on a rectangular postcard were a no-go :).