PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio, July 25-26th, 2009 Apug Gathering at the Powers’ House

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

jp80874
07-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I vote we dig a hole in the ground instead. Works for the puppies! :)

We discovered that ground bees had already done that by the charcoal grill. We hope to have that taken care of by your arrival.

We have not been able to talk the puppies into putting anything into the holes they dig. You are welcome to bring plastic bags with you to take home with you what you wish to discharge.

John

jp80874
07-14-2009, 12:44 PM
John,
I'll be there. I plan on setting up a small tent and would be happy to contribute to the PP fund. Looking forward to it. Shawn

Shawn,

Glad you are coming. Thanks for the contribution. Looking forward to seeing what you shot last time.

John

Jeff Bannow
07-14-2009, 12:45 PM
We discovered that ground bees had already done that by the charcoal grill. We hope to have that taken care of by your arrival.

We have not been able to talk the puppies into putting anything into the holes they dig. You are welcome to bring plastic bags with you to take home with you what you wish to discharge.

John

I guess we'll have to kick in for a porta-potty as well if needed then. :)

- Jeff

jp80874
07-14-2009, 12:46 PM
I plan on being there - will probably camp, so I'll chip in for PP rental.

Thanks for coming and for the contribution, Nicholas. The garden and we await you.

John

jp80874
07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I guess we'll have to kick in for a porta-potty as well if needed then. :)

- Jeff

Thanks

Jeff Bannow
07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Who is going to persuade him? Hurry, Hurry. Stand in line.

John

I made up a batch of bacon ice cream again last weekend and it was mighty good. You sure you don't want me to bring some? :)

- Jeff

jp80874
07-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I made up a batch of bacon ice cream again last weekend and it was mighty good. You sure you don't want me to bring some? :)

- Jeff

Bring it. Sounds good.

Jeff Bannow
07-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Bring it. Sounds good.

Excellent. More willing victims ... err, customers!

jp80874
07-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Though if Country Maid has fresh blueberries, I'll leave the rest of you the ice cream I make and head over there. mmmmm, blueberries... :D

If you feel the same about wild raspberries take a walk down by the tents when you are here. I just mowed the yard. That field is bordered on three sides by wild raspberries. They could be ready or gone in a week depending on the weather and birds. They are soooo delicate and good.

John

smieglitz
07-15-2009, 10:43 PM
I made up a batch of bacon ice cream again last weekend and it was mighty good. You sure you don't want me to bring some?

- Jeff

Bring it. Sounds good.

So, I had a dentist appointment this morning because I cracked a tooth due to chomping down accidentally on a stray chip of chitonous exoskeleton from some shellfish I ate during the Photostock 2009 event. Looks like a crown is in my future. However, the dentist cut me loose this morning after a brief exam. Since I wasn't numb from Novocaine and thought myself unexpectedly capable able of drinking a cup of coffee without dribbling it all down my front this particular morning, I decided to partake of some breakfast. Eggs Benedict sounded good, but hard to find in Kalamazoo. I thought maybe the local IHOP might have it on the menu, so I stopped there.

No such luck, though they did have a couple items smothered in Hollandaise. But, I ended up ordering some crepes filled with a chocolate-hazelnut sauce and bananas, all covered with strawberries, strawberry sauce, and a humungoid dollop of whipped cream. I also had two eggs over easy, hash browns, cafe au lait, and yes, bacon.

Now, I sat staring at the mound of whipped cream and then at the bacon. And then the whipped cream. And then the bacon. You see where this is going, don't you?

Not being as vanilla as I had been in my youth, I admit I was tempted and yes dear friends, I gave in to the temptation. Hallelujah! More sugar and all that...

It actually was a pretty good combo and I suspect, fairly close to what bacon ice cream might be like (perhaps with a bit of air thrown in).

Got me thinking: "What will Jeff suggest next - Salmon Sorbet? Frozen Calamari Custard? Flan Escargot?" :o

Joe

Shawn Dougherty
07-16-2009, 09:51 AM
John,
Looks like I'm going to be stuck working until 1pm on Saturday. :( That rules out Friday night camping for me. I plan on coming over Saturday after work. I'm thinking of bringing my bike and riding from Boston Mills down the Tow path under the bridges and a little further to the swamp area with the 4x5. I'll probably do that and then meet up for talk/print sharing after your dinner Saturday night. Sunday I'll be ready to go wherever with whomever. (I'm still planning on camping Saturday night.)

Just wanted to keep you apprised of your guest situation. Thanks, John.

Shawn

jp80874
07-16-2009, 01:03 PM
John,
Looks like I'm going to be stuck working until 1pm on Saturday. :( That rules out Friday night camping for me. I plan on coming over Saturday after work. I'm thinking of bringing my bike and riding from Boston Mills down the Tow path under the bridges and a little further to the swamp area with the 4x5. I'll probably do that and then meet up for talk/print sharing after your dinner Saturday night. Sunday I'll be ready to go wherever with whomever. (I'm still planning on camping Saturday night.)

Just wanted to keep you apprised of your guest situation. Thanks, John.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn. Sorry the visit is shorter than planned.
Looking forward to seeing you when we do.

John

dlin
07-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi John,

I'd love to join you guys for at least part of the weekend. Can you send directions to your place in the event I can make it out?

Thanks,
Daniel

jp80874
07-16-2009, 01:08 PM
The porta potty is booked, should be delivered Friday AM. The ground is a lot drier than last September so we will put it closer to the camp site, but hopefully down wind from the tents. The wind is normally from the west except when we have guests.

The exterminator came out, said yeah we will do just what we did two years ago, but it will be $350 instead of $150. We are going to give it a try ourselves. The primary location is by the grill a foot from the house so I don't think we will try to burn them out. Hope those sprays work well.

John

jp80874
07-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi John,

I'd love to join you guys for at least part of the weekend. Can you send directions to your place in the event I can make it out? There is plenty of room for another tent if you are still camping.

Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel,

What great news. You are more than welcome. Looking forward to seeing you again. Please also bring examples of your wonderful prints.

I will send you a PM with directions and contact infor.

John

Jeff Bannow
07-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Not being as vanilla as I had been in my youth, I admit I was tempted and yes dear friends, I gave in to the temptation. Hallelujah! More sugar and all that...

It actually was a pretty good combo and I suspect, fairly close to what bacon ice cream might be like (perhaps with a bit of air thrown in).

Got me thinking: "What will Jeff suggest next - Salmon Sorbet? Frozen Calamari Custard? Flan Escargot?" :o

Joe

Indeed, it's that same play of salty and sweet. Like syrup on bacon.

Hmm ... maybe a foie gras sherbet? The possibilities are endless! Now you need to come down to John's and taste the real thing. :)

- Jeff

jp80874
07-16-2009, 02:00 PM
So, I had a dentist appointment this morning because I cracked a tooth due to chomping down accidentally on a stray chip of chitonous exoskeleton from some shellfish I ate during the Photostock 2009 event. Looks like a crown is in my future. However, the dentist cut me loose this morning after a brief exam. Since I wasn't numb from Novocaine and thought myself unexpectedly capable able of drinking a cup of coffee without dribbling it all down my front this particular morning, I decided to partake of some breakfast. Eggs Benedict sounded good, but hard to find in Kalamazoo. I thought maybe the local IHOP might have it on the menu, so I stopped there.

No such luck, though they did have a couple items smothered in Hollandaise. But, I ended up ordering some crepes filled with a chocolate-hazelnut sauce and bananas, all covered with strawberries, strawberry sauce, and a humungoid dollop of whipped cream. I also had two eggs over easy, hash browns, cafe au lait, and yes, bacon.

Now, I sat staring at the mound of whipped cream and then at the bacon. And then the whipped cream. And then the bacon. You see where this is going, don't you?

Joe

Joe,
I thought you were just tormenting Jeff. Is there any chance you will join us? I know it is a long drive, but you could supervise Jeff's culinary wanderings. I think wet plate at Hale Farm's Civil War era horse drawn carriage gathering would be a perfect fit.

John

smieglitz
07-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Alas John, but my resources at the moment are such that I must limit my excursions. I'm saving my pennies to possibly head to John Coffer's Tintype Jamboree the end of the month if I am able to carpool with some folks.

Shawn Dougherty
07-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Alas John, but my resources at the moment are such that I must limit my excursions. I'm saving my pennies to possibly head to John Coffer's Tintype Jamboree the end of the month if I am able to carpool with some folks.

You'll be missed!

jp80874
07-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Alas John, but my resources at the moment are such that I must limit my excursions. .

Joe,
There is a lot of that going around. I sure missed Photostock this year, but what I spent each of the previous years was not in the pocket book this year. Have a great time at the wet plate event. Hope we both can do more travel next year.

John