PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio, July 25-26th, 2009 Apug Gathering at the Powers’ House

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Jeff Bannow
07-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Should be on the road around 5pm, with a 3 hour drive to get there. Hopefully we will be set up by the time you all return from dinner.

jp80874
07-24-2009, 02:57 PM
A PM exchange a few minutes ago.

John,
just wanted to let you know I talked to Scott Killian a few minutes ago and he claims to be coming over for Saturday afternoon and the print show and tell that night. I'm going to meet him at the ledges and then just have him follow me back. Just wanted to give you a heads up. See you soon. Shawn

Shawn,

You have just been promoted to Director of Recruiting. The pay is not too good, but the praise and gratitude comes in truckloads.

John

Welcome Scott.
When you have a chance please PM contact information and an emergency contact we hope not to use.

John

djkloss
07-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Started out at 2:00 then I had to take a detour to the auto mechanic shop. my engine light came on and it's idling high and the engine is really hot. got something 'reset' then went to my other mechanic and he said it "may" be ok to drive to Cleveland. So, I may try again. If I make it past this it will only be a good thing. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper! So don't hold dinner for me...... I don't know if I'll make it or not and I don't have a cell phone.

AAA won't go into effect for 24 hours so I'm wing'n it. I still have Liberty Mutual just in case. I guess I will see you all if nothing goes wrong - otherwise - have fun!

Shawn Dougherty
07-25-2009, 09:51 AM
I mounted 30 prints last night, looking forward to sharing with everyone. Sitting here at the frame shop doing paper work and wishing it were time to leave. My ETA at this point is probably around 3 to 3:30pm. Hope others brought their rain gear and are up for some inclement weather photography! Shawn

jolefler
07-25-2009, 03:57 PM
but here in Ohio, who knows?

Good luck and light to those in attendance. Perhaps I can be mobile enough for a Sunday morning shoot; doubtful, though, as today (Sat.) I'm not.

Sorry

Jo

DeBone 75
07-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Ok so i'm not going to be there. I thought about this for a few seconds. I had the money and really would have liked to have been there, but after 25 or so years of playing in make shift darkrooms, I am now finally building a purpose built all my own darkroom. It is in my attic. We bought our house a year ago with the set requirment of darkroom. More later in Darkroom Portraits section. Have fun all.
Les Wall

jp80874
07-26-2009, 05:43 AM
but here in Ohio, who knows?

Good luck and light to those in attendance. Perhaps I can be mobile enough for a Sunday morning shoot; doubtful, though, as today (Sat.) I'm not.

Sorry

Jo

Jo,

Come if you can. We are having fun so there is a pretty good chance we will continue to have these. We will catch you some time.

John

jp80874
07-26-2009, 05:57 AM
Ok so i'm not going to be there. I thought about this for a few seconds. I had the money and really would have liked to have been there, but after 25 or so years of playing in make shift darkrooms, I am now finally building a purpose built all my own darkroom. It is in my attic. We bought our house a year ago with the set requirment of darkroom. More later in Darkroom Portraits section. Have fun all.
Les Wall

Les,

Good for you. A real darkroom helps obtain consistent results. We are missing you as well as Jo, but think about coming again at a future event.

It is approaching 7:00 AM Sunday as I write. I believe most of the group has been at Blue Hen Falls since sunrise. It is quiet here. It was quiet here when they left. Even the dogs didn’t bark. The people and dogs were loud yesterday morning. Dolly will get up in a few minuets to make sweet rolls. Coffee, rolls and talk at 10:00 AM. We had four kinds of home made ice cream last night here after a group dinner at a local restaurant. We also had some of the best picture viewing I have seen in a long time yesterday afternoon and well into the evening.

As far as I the host am concerned this is what it is all about. A gathering with 18-20 like minded people enjoying their interest, shooting, showing, talking, helping, learning from each other. It doesn’t matter that they come and go on different schedules and that there are all levels of expertise. Everyone seems to be gaining from the adventure. There is a good chance this will continue.

John

jp80874
07-26-2009, 06:25 AM
We had a very generous visitor yesterday. Matt Pallante stopped in with bags of print paper. He shoots wonderful large pictures of the Kendall Ledges in multiple minute exposures at sunrise. He has changed from enlarging on paper to scanning his 4x5 negatives and printing digitally. He was giving his freezer to his father and wanted all that paper to go to people who would use it. The wonderful assortment was divided amongst the group. Those of us who wanted it all gently shared without blood shed. Thank you Matt, from all of us.

John

dlin
07-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Thank you, John and Dolly, for hosting the gathering at your place. I had a great time meeting everyone and photographing the beautiful surroundings. What a treat to see prints, talk photography, and eat homemade ice cream! (jury is still out on the bacon ice cream...) I look forward to seeing what everyone got and to the next meeting.

All the best,
Daniel

p.s. Thanks Matt for the generous donation of paper

djkloss
07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Les,

Good for you. A real darkroom helps obtain consistent results. We are missing you as well as Jo, but think about coming again at a future event.

It is approaching 7:00 AM Sunday as I write. I believe most of the group has been at Blue Hen Falls since sunrise. It is quiet here. It was quiet here when they left. Even the dogs didn’t bark. The people and dogs were loud yesterday morning. Dolly will get up in a few minuets to make sweet rolls. Coffee, rolls and talk at 10:00 AM. We had four kinds of home made ice cream last night here after a group dinner at a local restaurant. We also had some of the best picture viewing I have seen in a long time yesterday afternoon and well into the evening.

As far as I the host am concerned this is what it is all about. A gathering with 18-20 like minded people enjoying their interest, shooting, showing, talking, helping, learning from each other. It doesn’t matter that they come and go on different schedules and that there are all levels of expertise. Everyone seems to be gaining from the adventure. There is a good chance this will continue.

John

I shoulda stayed for the icecream! But the peanut butter that you left for me was great!

Thanks John and Dolly for being such spectacular hosts! This is my second home. The print show and tell was fabulous as always. Everything was great. I only got a little bit lost on the way home, but I came home with plenty of day-dreaming material :)

Lee L
07-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks to John and Dolly for being wonderful hosts over and over again, even in trying times. Our thoughts are with Alex, hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

Thanks to everyone for bringing wonderful prints to show, to Matt for the paper bonanza, to Jeff and Eva for the siphon and film, Daniel, Scott, and Shawn for the libations, and to all the ice cream makers. It was great to meet and get to know the new attendees and catch up with those who hadn't made it for a while.

I'm looking forward to the next time already.

Lee

winger
07-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks so much John and Dolly! I also second what Lee said.
These get-togethers are part of what keeps me going. It's great to see wonderful prints and be able to shoot with MF and LF shooters who know what they're doing. Thanks everyone who came, too!
I'm going to make some of that mint ice cream, but I think I'll hold off on the bacon (though it did kinda grow on me by the end).

Nicholas Lindan
07-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I'll add my thanks to the chorus of praise for John and Dolly's hospitality.

A wonderful weekend with a great group of people and a chance to see some really stunning work.

Sorry I wasn't able to bring any work of my own, but my time has been taken up with trying to make some headway against my late father's collection of quack medical devices Lindan Collection (http://www.nolindan.com/lindancollection/lindancollectionmain.html).

Apologies, Dorothy, for the bum directions home. I tried the same route, with I am sure much the same results - WTHAI?

Lee L
07-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Apologies, Dorothy, for the bum directions home. I tried the same route, with I am sure much the same results - WTHAI?

Brandywine is one of those places that "you can't get to from here". The same applies for trying to get out. Everyone is required to spend at least 30 minutes (or what seems like 30 minutes) in limbo within a given perimeter, both going and coming. Think how crowded it would be if it were easy to get to. :)

Lee

Thomas Bertilsson
07-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Wow, it sounds as though you all had a fabulous time. I'm very happy to you that got to share and have fun together. I've never made it to Ohio in my eight year foray in the United States. Maybe some day it'll be the Powers' get-together that lures me over...

I know some of the people that attended and their personalities, and with them present it simply must have been a wonderful time!

I hope I don't find an easy route to Brandywine...

- Thomas

jp80874
07-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Wow, it sounds as though you all had a fabulous time. I'm very happy to you that got to share and have fun together. I've never made it to Ohio in my eight year foray in the United States. Maybe some day it'll be the Powers' get-together that lures me over...

I know some of the people that attended and their personalities, and with them present it simply must have been a wonderful time!

I hope I don't find an easy route to Brandywine...

- Thomas

But Thomas, it is just down the road a bit. An aeroplane would have you here in a blink of an eye. You just read a portion of the fun. Whoops here comes another opportunity. I said before that the only thing I didn't like about Bill's gathering was that you had to wait a year for them to happen again. But wait...here comes October in Ohio.

John

jp80874
07-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Thank you all for coming to the gathering, having a good time and saying so. Dolly and I enjoyed it as well. Sorry two had trouble with directions. There is no easy way there from here. Thank you all for taking such good care of our home, paying for the porta potty and managing to get through the rainy moment. Sorry that I resolved the problem by taking a nap. They seem to come up more frequently now as I approach three score and ten.

We talked briefly about a next gathering. Dolly and I offered the 19-20th Sept. and/or 17-18th Oct., essentially the same weekends we met last year. Fall color dates are very difficult to pick and the experts such as Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources usually say give or take a week this far in advance. If I understood correctly there was not much push for a September gathering. If I got that wrong we are willing to listen. If nothing is said, let’s look at 17-18th Oct. Feed back will be helpful.

Thanks again for coming,

John, Dolly, Savannah and Cindy

ic-racer
07-27-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm glad John and Dolly and the girls have welcomed us to their home again. It was good to see the fantastic work that was presented. I missed out on Sunday, as we spent a whole day at Cedar Point. 'Photography of all kinds' is prohibited on all the rides :o.

djkloss
07-28-2009, 11:37 AM
this was my third attempt at this lovely falls. Glad we made it! Thanks everyone! (this is just a scan of the negative)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2644/3765094133_8ea493d926_o.jpg