PDA

View Full Version : NYC APUG Get Together--Sunday, Feb. 15, 2004

David A. Goldfarb
02-09-2004, 10:25 PM
To celebrate the first complete circuit of the APUG Traveling Portfolio and give anyone in the neighborhood a chance to take a look at it, I thought I'd invite interested APUGgers over to my place this coming Sunday, Feb. 15, 2004 from around 3:00-6:00 p.m. I live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in the Columbia University area.

See the work of (in no particular order):

Aaron Van de Sande
Cem Topdemir
Les MacLean
Ole Tjungen
Jorge Gasteazoro
Agnes Weessies
Chris Glanton
Brian MacGuinness
Lee Carmichael
Clay Harmon
Jay de Fehr
James Chinn
Joe Lipka
Nigel Smith
Sean Ross
Robert Kennedy
Ed Sukach
Chuck Pere
John Douglas Callow
Michael Veit
and yours truly, David A. Goldfarb

If you would like to come by and check out the portfolio please PM me to RSVP and I'll give you directions. We're easily accessible by public transportation or by car, and there's street parking in the vicinity, so let me know how you plan to travel.

Thomassauerwein
02-10-2004, 11:10 AM
David if you will pay the cab fair, I'm There! Just to warn you though a cab from California Might be pretty Expensive. Just think if we had one of those Star Trek beam me up things. I copuld beam over see the book have a cup of tea and be back in time for the Laker game. Oh well I'll just take a cab.

David A. Goldfarb
02-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Only a couple of takers so far. This should be a great opportunity to meet up and take a look at some real work by some of the more frequent APUG contributors, so send me a note if you would like to stop by this Sunday.

Sean
02-13-2004, 03:29 PM
Wish I could make it, but don't have a spare $3,000NZ dollars :(

PaulH
02-13-2004, 04:10 PM
I wish I could make it also, but my weekend is packed!

David A. Goldfarb
02-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Ah, well. Too bad more couldn't have made it.

Bruce (Camclicker) Osgood and Tom Duffy came over and we leafed through the portfolio as well as my collection of APUG postcards.

We looked through a few things from my files and Tom brought along a box of current work prints. Tom has done the Smith/Chamlee workshop, so that gave us a chance to compare Azo prints in Agfa Neutol WA, Weston's Amidol, and Smith's Amidol, and though the print developer isn't the only factor, since the negs were different, there were some pretty clear general tendencies to observe.

Who knows how long it will take for the portfolio to make another round, but maybe if we can get a better idea of when it should be arriving, I'll see if I can't get a little more advance notice out next time.

Tom Duffy
02-16-2004, 10:36 AM
We had a lot of fun, it was great to see the travelling portfolio after it made a complete circuit. Nothing like seeing a real photograph compared to something posted on the Web.

My thanks to David and his wife for inviting us over.
Tom

Bruce Osgood
02-16-2004, 12:02 PM
We had a lot of fun, it was great to see the travelling portfolio after it made a complete circuit. Nothing like seeing a real photograph compared to something posted on the Web.

My thanks to David and his wife for inviting us over.
Tom

----------------------------------------------------------
I would like to echo Toms' response and while we were small in number we are big with enthusiasm. If four people can make a convention, then this was the first NYC APUG Convention.

Thanks again David.

gr82bart
03-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Drats! I missed this one. Maybe next time. I really have to scroll down more often... And I was probably in the city that Sunday too.

Art.

David A. Goldfarb
03-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Next time around!

David A. Goldfarb
09-16-2004, 09:34 AM
Okay, this is a curious thing--I'm getting PM's about the New York Area APUG Focus group, which I didn't even know existed. I hadn't really been planning to co-ordinate a "regional focus group," though I think that's a good idea, and if someone else has the time to do the organization, I'd participate in it.

As the co-ordinator of the Traveling Portfolio, however, I was planning to have another get-together a few months down the line when the Portfolio makes its way to NYC again, and that can serve the function of a NYC-area APUG Focus Group, if folks want it to. I'll post an announcement over in the Traveling Portfolio thread when the time comes, so it's probably a good idea to monitor that thread, if you're interested.