PDA

View Full Version : RULEX shutters?

JPD
06-20-2009, 02:48 AM
Does anyone have information about the RULEX shutter, that sometimes can be found on plate cameras? They look like an almost perfect copy of the dial-set Compur, and are marked with an "R" which probably stands for the maker.

I know there are japanese shutters called "Rulex", made by Neumann & Heilemann, but according to camerapedia: "The name "Rulex" also applies to a German shutter model dating from the 1920s."

Who made the german RULEX shutters, and are they good or bad?

Here's one:
http://ldtomei.googlepages.com/LaackTropical002.jpg/LaackTropical002-full.jpg

And another one:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/3130942997_40bcb6193d.jpg?v=0

Anastigmatic
06-28-2009, 07:21 PM
JPD,
I was hoping someone would chime in with an answer for this as well. I remember going through the same exercise a long time ago, trying to track down information on these. I wrote down some notes and put them on my computer, which has long since stopped working so any infomation I had on these is stuck on its old hard drive.

when you say marked with an 'R', where do you mean? on the front they have D.R.P, is that what you are referring to?

I think i entertained the idea at one point that the Rulex shutter might have been for certain cameras sold to some export markets or select distributors, but i cant remember if that theory held up

cheers
A/

archphoto
06-28-2009, 07:51 PM
You could be right about it beiing a copy of the Compur.
And the name is hardly Japanese but is German.

Looking at the shutter I tend to think that it was made by Compur in Germany with just a diferent nameplate on it.
Quality-wise: have a look "under the hood": I don't think you will see any diference at all.

Peter

JPD
07-01-2009, 10:43 AM
when you say marked with an 'R', where do you mean? on the front they have D.R.P, is that what you are referring to?

There's an "R" on the speed dial. The leg of the "R" forms a circle around the letter in a stylish way. You can see it on the first picture I linked to, to the right of the screw head.

JPD
07-01-2009, 10:45 AM
You could be right about it beiing a copy of the Compur.
And the name is hardly Japanese but is German.

Looking at the shutter I tend to think that it was made by Compur in Germany with just a diferent nameplate on it.
Quality-wise: have a look "under the hood": I don't think you will see any diference at all.

PeterI'll have to get one first. Damn curiosity, it almost always cost money. :D

Anscojohn
07-01-2009, 11:09 AM
There's an "R" on the speed dial. The leg of the "R" forms a circle around the letter in a stylish way. You can see it on the first picture I linked to, to the right of the screw head.
I'm wondering if the "R" might be an indication that it is registered under an Italian patent. Since the lens is Italian,

Anastigmatic
07-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Ah, of course I see it now on the shutters I have too, wonder how I didnt notice that before!. I just had to hold it the right distance for my eyes to focus on it haha.

At some point I will open one up to have a look on the inside..I am not convinced they are a compur with different plate on them though; there are other subtle differences to them. Just little things, among them; is the cross pattern on the edge/sides of the shutter is a bit different to the compur, also the serial numbers have "No." xxxxxx, and is a smaller size, instead of just the serial numbers like the compur's have and few other things as well..but there is a lot the same as well...I also have them with German lenses

JPD
07-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Ah, of course I see it now on the shutters I have too, wonder how I didnt notice that before!. I just had to hold it the right distance for my eyes to focus on it haha.
So you own one? Does the speed range go from 1 sec - 1/200 (or 1/250) like on the Compur?

Anastigmatic
07-04-2009, 08:23 PM
I have a few actually, one of them is on a camera that I use semi regularly (has film in the holders atm coincidently ready to go)..the speed goes to 1/300 on all of mine. 1,2,5,10,25,50,100,200,300...another difference hey

Ian Grant
07-05-2009, 01:06 AM
It looks so like a Compur, except it's not quite an exact copy at all. The Dial set speed adjuster turns the other way clockwise from front view, the Compur- anti-clockwise. The sequence of the Z D M differs too.

It looks like it's a deliberate copy with just enough changes to not infringe Patents/Copyright, but then until one of you opens one up we won't know how close they really are inernally. The Japanese version was made long after Compur had switched to the far better rim-set Compur.

Ian