PDA

View Full Version : Filter thread question

Jarvman
07-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Anybody know what size filter thread a 12/21/28 turner reich triple convertible is? i've looked on google but can't find an answer. Seems to be close to 58mm but not quite. Any ideas?

archphoto
07-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Standard sizes are these day's (as you know) 55,58 and 62.
If you need anything inbetween you can go to push-on filters and you will need callipilers to measure the propper size.
If needed you can line an oversized filter with some narrow strips of gaffler tape to get to the right size.
I have done that a couple of times and got a snug fit.

Peter

Steve Hamley
07-08-2009, 09:09 PM
It doesn't use standard screw-in filters. It should use series push-on filter adapters. Screw-in filters became popular about a half century after the T-R was designed.

http://silverbased.org/series-filters/

If you want a screw-in adapter, S.K. Grimes can make you one.

Cheers, Steve

Curt
07-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Seems to be close to 58mm but not quite. Any ideas ?

Hammer or glue! :D

You will probably have to make something custom. Maybe someone will tell us why early lenses had threads and what was originally inserted in those threads.

Jarvman
07-09-2009, 12:31 PM

A wedge of blu tac usually does the job!

Steve Hamley
07-09-2009, 12:43 PM
The barrels/cells were threaded for the insert that screws in and holds the glass in the lens cell.

Cheers, Steve

You will probably have to make something custom. Maybe someone will tell us why early lenses had threads and what was originally inserted in those threads.

Jim Fitzgerald
07-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Anybody know what size filter thread a 12/21/28 turner reich triple convertible is? i've looked on google but can't find an answer. Seems to be close to 58mm but not quite. Any ideas?

I was able to make a ring out of some walnut that slips over the outside of my lens and it fit on the inside of the Lee filter holder I have for it. Works real nice.

Jim

Steve Hamley
07-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, the attached jpeg shows the glass retaining ring that threads into the cell or barrel; it usually has writing on it with the manufacturer, serial, model, aperture and so forth. This ring also in many cases determines how far the glass is from the iris as well as a way to remove glass for cleaning. Many Artars were more intelligently designed and had a knurled ring on the rear of the cell by which the glass could be removed for cleaning without resorting to spanners or O-rings to remove the front retainer.

Cheers, Steve