PDA

View Full Version : Does Stitching Count As Pano?

Pages : 1 [2]

keithwms
07-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Oh I was just kidding, no worries ;)

Mike1234
07-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Oh I was just kidding, no worries ;)

I know, Keith. Your point was well-stated. I wasn't referring to your post. ;)

BradS
07-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Best to visit the Large Format Photography Forum. 5x7 definitely counts. Very open minded and very helpful group.

just don't try to advance any idea that is contrary to their collective conventional wisdom. God help you if you propose storing film in the fridge instead of the freezer or if you post results of an informal experiment that you conducted and those results seem to imply that one of their favorite meters has a different spectral response than another...then they'll just slaughter you without mercy. :rolleyes:

Mike1234
07-14-2009, 03:47 PM
I've been mercilessly slaughtered before... probably even deserved it a couple times. But I continue to digress from the purpose of this forum which is ANALOG PANORAMIC imagery... not digital. I only continue to reply to set a few things straight.

BradS
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Mike, what you want to do sounds cool. I used to do a similar thing with front shift on the the Canham Wood Field....only I presented the results as a stereo image....make prints of each and display them side-by-side. It works!

A member here, Jim Galli, has a custom made Chamonix 5x14 camera with six custom made film holders....I bet you could talk him out of it for a fairly reasonable price too. :)

Mike1234
07-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Brad,

Thank you. Yes, stereo imagery is another intriguing possibility. It's nice to know someone else interested in the porcess. If I had tons of cash and a younger body I would try to talk Jim into selling me his Chamonix 5x14. However, due to financial constraints and personal physical limitations, I'm forced to settle for a lightweight/compact (as is practicable) system. I've given this a lot of thought and the modifed Canham MQC57 (lengthened rear shifts) seems as good an option (for me) as anything else. I even considered purchasing a Shen-Hao 5x8 (please no flaming about the brand) so I can save one cutting stroke in the darkroom. However, the film holders are very pricey... more than I want to pay anyway. I already have more than enough 5x7 holders than I could ever carry and these are comparitively cheap. I just don't want to spend piles of cash on specialty pan film holders nor am I still capable of carrying ULF gear.

Getting old sux...

David A. Goldfarb
07-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Just to clarify, in case anyone is bewildered, it's only the digital step that's off topic for APUG.

Taking two 5x7" images, contact printing or enlarging them in the darkroom, lining the prints up on a light table and slicing through them at the seam with an X-acto knife and a straightedge, and mounting them together as a continuous image is perfectly on topic, and could fit in the LF or the Panoramic forum on APUG.

Mike1234
07-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Thank you, David. I realized my miskrate soon after I first posted. I'm only commenting now to finish up here.

papagene
07-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Mike... check out the International Association of Panoramic Photographers. Their members use stitching quite a lot.
http://www.panoramicassociation.com/IAPP_photographers.php

The Valley Photo Center here in Springfield has hosted their annula competition exhibition a few times.

gene

Mike1234
07-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Thank you, Gene. Will do!!

David Brown
07-14-2009, 05:16 PM
I consider four kinds of panoramic photography:

a) a camera with a wide angle lens and panoramic film back.
b) The digital panoramic stitching
c) A panorama made by putting normal rectangular photos next to each other.
d) By cropping.

How about #5, (or "e") - a swing lens camera; such as Noblex, Widelux or Horizont?

David A. Goldfarb
07-14-2009, 05:18 PM
How about #5, (or "e") - a swing lens camera; such as Noblex, Widelux or Horizont?

Don't forget the Cirkut!

Mike1234
07-14-2009, 05:25 PM
I could mention some truly awesome high resolution custom-made rotating digital systems made from gutted flatbed scanners but will refrain from doing so. :D

[Mike slaps own wrist with a ruler]