PDA

View Full Version : Silver Gelatin in Vancouver, WA.

dwross
08-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi All,

Any of you from the Pacific Northwest hopefully know that we will be having our 2nd Annual APUG-PNW meeting at UW Vancouver in the second weekend of September. There will be a whole host of great presentations, primarily on alternative processes. Any of them will make the trip to Vancouver worthwhile. In addition, I will be discussing silver gelatin emulsion making, arguably the newest addition to the 'old' processes. I will have a range of examples and we will make sure there's time for questions.

Hope to see you there,
Denise

Kirk Keyes
08-23-2009, 01:57 AM
Remember people - Vancouver, Washington, is across the river from Portland, Oregon, and not in Canada.

I think I'll be there, Denise.

Andrew O'Neill
08-23-2009, 02:21 AM
Remember people - Vancouver, Washington, is across the river from Portland, Oregon, and not in Canada.

We don't have a Vancouver anymore??

flash26c
08-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Hi Denise, is there a contact person for information on this meeting? I would like to attend at least part also - Ron

Curt
08-23-2009, 02:58 AM

No, Captain Vancouver had it moved to make his maps work better. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Vancouver

The Mukilteo Lighthouse is on a point of land Capt. Vancouver called Rose Point because of all the beautiful roses they saw there when they landed in 1792, now it's a parking lot and a ferry landing with a lot of smoke and asphalt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukilteo,_Washington

I was hoping to see someone make a glass plate negative, I have an 11x14 wood glass plate film holder with the two sheets of glass in it and another one that needs a little wood to close it up. I think using a glass plate to make a Carbon Transfer print might be quite an accomplishment.

Kirk Keyes
08-23-2009, 11:16 AM

You do, it's just not Vancouver, Washington.

It seems a lot of people get the two confused. Having been to both of them, I'm not sure exactly how that could actually happen...

Kirk Keyes
08-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Curt - I can show you how to make a glass dry plate sometime. And I know that Denise will talk about that this meeting.

dwross
08-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi Denise, is there a contact person for information on this meeting? I would like to attend at least part also - Ron

Here you go! Remember,too, that there is a PNW Group on APUG (http://www.apug.org/forums/group.php?groupid=25) . Be sure it check it out regularly for local photo info. PNW photographers are a fantastic and active bunch of folks, and a better gender mix than often found among traditional photographers.

A weekend of free presentations on a variety of alternative photographic processes will be held the weekend of Sept. 12-13 at the Washington State University Vancouver campus.
Photographers of all skill levels are invited to participate in all or any part of the events, which will include demonstrations on photogravures, carbon printing, optically enlarged negatives, cyanotypes, bromoils and other traditional processes, as well as print sharing and a gallery exhibit.
The weekend is being organized by the Pacific Northwest members of the Analog Photography Users Group. This is the second annual APUG-NW gathering; the first was held last fall in Newport.
All lectures and demonstrations will be held in the Multi-Media Center (VMCC) at WSU-Vancouver, 14204 NE Salmon Creek Ave., Vancouver, WA. No advance registration is necessary, but interested photographers are asked to contact organizer Robert Brummitt at robert8x10@hotmail.com so space requirements can be accommodated.
The workshop schedule for Saturday:
9 a.m.— "Darkroom Cookbook III" with Steve Anchell of Salem. Ore.
10 a.m.—"Bromoils" with Terry Halstead of Beaverton, Ore.
11 a.m.—"Artisan Silver Gelatin Emulsion Making" with Denise Ross of Newport, Ore.
1 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.—"Carbon Printing Demonstration" with Vaughn Hutchins of Arcata, CA.
4 p.m.—"Enlarged Negatives and Cyanotypes" with Michael Stathatos of Washougal, Wash.
5 p.m.—"Photogravures" with Russ Dodd of Portland, Ore.
On Sunday, participants are invited to join in a field trip with Anchell, who will show alternative view camera uses. The rest of Sunday’s schedule includes the following:
10-11:30 a.m.—Participants' print viewing
2 p.m.—"Photographic Artist Books" with Laura Russell of Portland, Ore.
3 p.m.—"Tintypes" with Susan Seubert of Portland, Ore.
4 p.m.—Panel discussion on “The Resurgence of Alternative Processes.”

dwross
08-23-2009, 12:06 PM
I was hoping to see someone make a glass plate negative, I have an 11x14 wood glass plate film holder with the two sheets of glass in it and another one that needs a little wood to close it up. I think using a glass plate to make a Carbon Transfer print might be quite an accomplishment.

The PNW meeting is too tightly scheduled for me to do a full dry plate demo, but I will have enough materials and examples with me for you to easily get the idea of how it is done. Looking forward to seeing you. Denise

Curt
08-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Any idea of what the crowds will be like, how many people attended in Newport?

dwross
08-23-2009, 12:59 PM
We had about 50 people in Newport - each and every one just as friendly, creative and sharing as you'd expect - more like a family reunion than like a meeting.

Photo Engineer
08-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Curt;

There are generic pictures of pouring dry plates posted here. They were made in 4x5 size and poured by Mark Osterman of George Eastman House. This method was used to pour plates as large as 11x14 back about 100 years ago and are still valid.

Samples of his emulsion formula, and his negatives are also posted here. I posted them with his kind permission.

PE

wildbillbugman
09-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Is San Bernardino,CA in the PNW? I think people in Venisuala would consider it to be.
Bill

fritzphoto
09-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Looking forward to seeing you guys on Saturday. Thanks for organizing this.

Fritz Liedtke
www.fritzphoto.com/art

willrea
09-17-2009, 02:03 PM
It was great seeing your work!

I will be taking your workshop in January, I just need to find the money. I'll need to sell some equipment I've been meaning to get rid of, which should get me the required amount.

dwross
09-17-2009, 11:04 PM
William,

That's great news. It was a real pleasure talking with you. I can hardly wait to see what you do with your own emulsions!
Denise

willrea
09-17-2009, 11:31 PM
William,
It was a real pleasure talking with you.

Lisewise, Denise.

Your Silvergums looked amazing. I also liked seeing samples of the commercial and handmade baryta prints. I've been wanting to see the difference between the two.