PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio Apug Gathering, Fall Color, October 9-11, 2009

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

jp80874
09-19-2009, 01:10 PM
There will be three photography exhibits opening in Cleveland and Akron just before our October gathering. There is nothing yet on the Cleveland Museum of Art’s web site, but we got a flier today mentioning, “France at the Dawn of Photography” opening October 4-January 24th. More information as it is posted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The Akron Art Museum will host, Nuclear Enchantment:
Photographs by Patrick Nagatani
October 10, 2009 - February 14, 2010
Fred and Laura Ruth Bidwell Gallery

Fascinated by his new home state’s marriage with the nuclear industry, Patrick Nagatani began the Nuclear Enchantment series when he moved to Albuquerque in 1987. This exhibition, featuring around 25 works from the series, is drawn entirely from the collection of the Akron Art Museum.

Nagatani, a Japanese-American, was born in Chicago just 13 days after the bombing of Hiroshima and raised in Los Angeles. When he moved to New Mexico, he discovered that it was the birthplace of the nuclear weapons industry, the site of uranium mines and of radioactively contaminated land, and, ironically, was also home to the oldest continuous culture in North America, the Pueblo Indians.

“An underlying theme in Nagatani’s art has always been the conflict and comedy in collective ideologies,” writes art historian Eugenia Parry. In Nuclear Enchantment, “he is looking at the boundless faith we have in scientific expertise, and our trust in a peculiar technological ministry.”

A tableaux photographer who arranges for the camera in a directorial mode, Nagatani constructed the Nuclear Enchantment images. Photographing at atomic test sites, the locations of nuclear accidents and radioactive waste dumps, he transmuted these banal-seeming places into the landscapes of dreams, and sometimes nightmares. Eschewing PhotoShop, Nagatani’s processes resemble the special effect techniques of early science fiction films. He stages his scenes in front of the camera, often shooting elaborate combinations of props, posed models and cut-out images against in front of actual places. The planes shown in Nuclear Enchantment are mostly model planes from his own collection, which he built from kits. Nagatani’s acidic hues are the result of altering color balances during printing.

As stories about the threat of nuclear terrorism and building additional nuclear power plants appear on our evening news, Nagatani’s Nuclear Enchantment series from the late 1980s and early 1990s seems eerily up to date.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summit Artspace, one block east of the Akron Art Museum, will host “Photo2009”, a group photo exhibit. As I understand it curator Andrew McAllister, who was commissioned to photograph the design and construction of the new Akron Art Museum, has gathered ten or eleven area photographers, and invited them to show four or five pictures each. I am happy to be one of those invited.

John

jp80874
09-19-2009, 01:14 PM
congratulations! what will you do with the other one?

Dorothy,

I think that camera is you. You and Dale should start negotiating. If not maybe you could find another one and have your father restore it. I hear that he needs a project.

John

Shawn Dougherty
09-19-2009, 01:24 PM
We may want to postpone a trip to Nelson Ledges to another gathering. Apparently the weekend of Oct 10th there is going to be a big Beer Tasting Weekend going on at the quarry park (campground) right next door. Apparently they are expecting a heck of a crowd which might make for less than ideal photography conditions. Plus, I might just wander off to the tasting never to be seen again... =)

Shawn

djkloss
09-20-2009, 10:33 PM
We may want to postpone a trip to Nelson Ledges to another gathering. Apparently the weekend of Oct 10th there is going to be a big Beer Tasting Weekend going on at the quarry park (campground) right next door. Apparently they are expecting a heck of a crowd which might make for less than ideal photography conditions. Plus, I might just wander off to the tasting never to be seen again... =)

Shawn

the heck with the cameras......... let's go drink some beer!

djkloss
09-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Dorothy,

I think that camera is you. You and Dale should start negotiating. If not maybe you could find another one and have your father restore it. I hear that he needs a project.

John

what dreams are made of :)

Shawn Dougherty
09-21-2009, 07:41 AM
the heck with the cameras......... let's go drink some beer!

Photography and craft brewed beer... My favorites! Unfortunately it's a bit of a drive back back to John's... or anywhere from this place. Also, a ticket is $30.

ic-racer
09-21-2009, 09:09 AM
I test mounted the old Anthony lens on the Century and it does barely cover to the edges! Research indicates it technically is a '5x7' lens. Mounted on an 8x10 camera there is a pleasing gradual fall off of light (unlike the abrupt cut-off of a modern lens). I think this means I'll keep the Century for now. This will give me a classic old 8x10 with a brass lens and a spanking new 8x10 with a modern lens to play with.

BTW that Anthony lens is not a "bokeh" lens. It is a corrected, very sharp landscape lens about 250mm focal length.

I thank my brother for the Anthony lens. He found it at a local flea market for a couple bucks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/AnthonyLens.jpg

ic-racer
09-21-2009, 09:25 AM
If anyone is interested in a ULF horizontal enlarger project, there is a process camera in a basement in Strongsville waiting to be rescued.

ic-racer
09-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Finally got the Anthony lens mounted on the Century.
The inside of the lens barrel is too shiny and causes a lot of flare. I think I'm going to have to put some black felt in there before I take any pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/centurywithAnthonylens.jpg

jp80874
09-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Gorgeous

Nicholas Lindan
09-26-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm going to have to put some black felt in there before I take any pictures.

If you need some, I have a 12x12" sheet of "the real-stuff" flocking material that I will probably not use up. email me the size of the bit you need, if you need a bit, that is.

Lee L
09-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Many telescope builders prefer Protostar. It has a very sticky self adhesive backing and is about as non-reflective (even at high angles of incidence) as it gets.

http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm

Since you already have a very nice offer from Nicholas, I'm posting this mostly as information for other interested folks.

Lee

Nicholas Lindan
09-26-2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm

That looks like the stuff.

Probably it's original use was for black velvet paintings of Elvis.

jp80874
09-28-2009, 09:02 AM
If you have the time, Dolly and I would love to see you at the opening of Photo 2009, Friday, October 2, 2009, between 5-7 PM. This is a group invitational photography show at Summit Artspace, 140 E. Market St. Akron, OH 44308, Tel: 330-376-8480 www.summitartspace.org. If you can’t make the opening, the show will be running Oct. 2 – Nov. 7. I will have four 7x17 images from my OH & Erie Canal series.

If you want to see more of the series, my solo show of thirty images has been on view for the last twelve months at Cleveland’s history museum, The Western Reserve Historical Society: 10825 East Boulevard Cleveland, OH 44106, Tel: 216 721-5722 . That or bring a lunch to our house and I’ll show you the other ninety images.

John & Dolly Powers

Shawn Dougherty
09-28-2009, 09:05 AM
If you have the time, Dolly and I would love to see you at the opening of Photo 2009, Friday, October 2, 2009, between 5-7 PM. This is a group invitational photography show at Summit Artspace, 140 E. Market St. Akron, OH 44308, Tel: 330-376-8480 www.summitartspace.org. If you can’t make the opening, the show will be running Oct. 2 – Nov. 7. I will have four 7x17 images from my OH & Erie Canal series.

If you want to see more of the series, my solo show of thirty images has been on view for the last twelve months at Cleveland’s history museum, The Western Reserve Historical Society: 10825 East Boulevard Cleveland, OH 44106, Tel: 216 721-5722 . That or bring a lunch to our house and I’ll show you the other ninety images.

John & Dolly Powers

Congratulations, John!

jolefler
09-30-2009, 04:58 AM
Keeping the Medium alive and well in NE OH! Congrats!

Lee L
09-30-2009, 08:09 AM
The trees in northeast OH have already changed enough for me to do some fall colors shooting, but at the beginning stages. At 10 days out for the next scheduled weekend, I'd say we're probably in pretty good shape for colors.

Of course we do get years where a cold snap and a nasty, windy front combine to rip all the leaves off in short order within a few days of turning. But the timing for colors on the 10-11th looks promising.

Congrats on the show John. Be sure and give your photo instructors for this fall an invitation to the opening. :)

Lee

jp80874
09-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Thank you all.

quote Lee, "Congrats on the show John. Be sure and give your photo instructors for this fall an invitation to the opening."

My photo instructor is in the show as is my Photo II instructor who is now Registrar for the Akron Art Museum. There are also at least four other recent graduates from the Akron program. One of those is curator of the show and photographer for the museum. Now if I could just find a paying gig.

As to the leaves, we had winds that were predicted to hit 50 mph the other night. There are quite a few trees around the house that are a lot thinner in leaf content than last week. The girls and I have been hiking between the rain storms. The leaf content is thinning there and we can look a head for the rangers looking for off leash dogs.

John

djkloss
09-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Thank you all.

quote Lee, "Congrats on the show John. Be sure and give your photo instructors for this fall an invitation to the opening."

My photo instructor is in the show as is my Photo II instructor who is now Registrar for the Akron Art Museum. There are also at least four other recent graduates from the Akron program. One of those is curator of the show and photographer for the museum. Now if I could just find a paying gig.

As to the leaves, we had winds that were predicted to hit 50 mph the other night. There are quite a few trees around the house that are a lot thinner in leaf content than last week. The girls and I have been hiking between the rain storms. The leaf content is thinning there and we can look a head for the rangers looking for off leash dogs.

John

Congrats again on the show John.

leaves, wind, rain......... anybody else camping that weekend?

jp80874
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks Dorothy. Remember there is firewood for the campers.

As you know I am color blind and the fall color is lost on me. If it is important to you all, great, lets do it. If not, just an idea to talk about. Is there any interest in the bridges in the flats of Cleveland? This is where the 800-1000 foot freighters come in to the curves in the river, where the river caught on fire, where the Plain Dealer says you can't take a picture with less than three bridges in it. My own experience is that five bridges in a picture is not uncommon. Robert Pucket (8x20, 12x20, platinum nudes) constructed many of these bridges as a foreman iron construction worker. He says it is the world's greatest collection of different types of lift bridges from multiple decades.

If it is cold in the park, it will be colder in the flats. If there is interest lets talk about it. If not now, maybe next summer when it is warmer.

Your thoughts?

John