PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio Apug Gathering, Fall Color, October 9-11, 2009

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

Lee L
10-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Very sorry to hear about your hiking pal John. I believe he was the man we met at Cleveland Clinic with a wonderful chocolate lab. They would do the rounds together, and I saw how much happiness they brought with them to patients and staff, drawing people out of themselves. Everyone who saw them smiled, and lines formed to say hello and pet the lab and chat with your friend. I know for certain that he'll be missed by many.

Lee

jp80874
10-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Very sorry to hear about your hiking pal John. I believe he was the man we met at Cleveland Clinic with a wonderful chocolate lab. They would do the rounds together, and I saw how much happiness they brought with them to patients and staff, drawing people out of themselves. Everyone who saw them smiled, and lines formed to say hello and pet the lab and chat with your friend. I know for certain that he'll be missed by many.

Lee

Yes, I had forgotten that you had met. Dr. Alan Gray and Keeper. We had had a good laugh in the parking lot about something stupid befoe we started hiking. I gave him a big bear hug before we started, probably his last hug. Sorry Mrs. Gray.

John

Jeff Bannow
10-05-2009, 07:44 AM
We lost him, a good friend. I’m pretty broken up about it, so be careful this weekend, PLEASE.

John

:(

dlin
10-05-2009, 08:05 AM
John, sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Sounds like he was well loved and appreciated.

All the best,
Daniel

jp80874
10-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Thank you all. Sorry, I got a little emotional. Ironically most of us in the Hiking Hounds group are hiking to exercise the dogs, enjoy the camaraderie, and improve our own health. In our fantasy it is not supposed to backfire. Alan was a very nice guy and as Lee has said donated a lot of his and his dog's time to helping troubled people at Cleveland Clinic.

John

winger
10-05-2009, 10:31 AM
We lost him, a good friend. I’m pretty broken up about it, so be careful this weekend, PLEASE.

Very sorry to hear this, John.

Shawn Dougherty
10-05-2009, 10:57 AM
That's rough, John. Very sorry to hear that, but glad you at least shared a nice moment with your friend.

Shawn

jp80874
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks again. I just did a couple hours of self imposed therapy in the darkroom twirling the Jobo. Dolly called to check on me. The sun is out. The leaves are falling. I will go to the funeral tomorrow and things will move on. I'm looking forward to seeing those of you who can make it this weekend. Thank you for your kind words.

John

jp80874
10-07-2009, 07:49 AM
You are going to have to help me a little on this. Remember I am color blind. Where would you like to shoot to catch the fall color? Will the altitude of the ledges be any better than the trees around the river? You guys decide. I really can’t contribute.

The OH DNR has set up a website just for Fall color, showing each state park and the status. Great idea, but terrible implementation. As of yesterday it was showing Sept. 26.
Today there is a Sept. 30 news release saying, “Leaf peepers can expect to find peak fall color during the second and third weeks of October throughout Ohio.” Sure glad we got the specifics. http://ohiodnr.com/news/home_page/NewsReleases/tabid/18276/EntryID/1335/Default.aspx

Lee and Dorothy, will you arrive Friday early enough for dinner? Should I wait and join you?
Saturday, let’s meet at 9 AM and again at 5 PM for show and tell. Dale, please bring your new beauty for us to see. I have some new prints to show. Please bring any new prints that you all have.

Yesterday after a huge funeral I went to the Cleveland Museum. There are two rooms the size of our family room filled with very early, 1841 and up, photographs of France, portraits, buildings and landscape. Very dry stuff, but very interesting if you are into the early history of photography. I think they said there were 50 prints mostly from the Cleveland collection. I was surprised that only one Daguerreotype was on display, a beautiful large portrait, but only one. I know they have more, having seen them in another exhibit.

Talk to me.

JP

Lee L
10-07-2009, 09:04 AM
John,

Was thinking about this last night. I had the best luck at Sylvan Pond last year, so would like to check that and the nearby ponds. That being said, color is where you find it at a given time in a given year, so a bit of exploratory driving might be in order. Wish I could come scout earlier on Friday, but can't manage that this time.

For others the map of this area off Oak Hill Road is at: http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/upload/OakHill_WEB2009.pdf

The home page for this map is also linked to off the resources page for our gatherings in the area. See:
http://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/home/web-resources

I can meet at your place 5pm or later Friday to get out for dinner. See what Dorothy and possibly others have to say for arrival time.

Almost all of Ohio is now classified as 'changing', with a few spots of 'near peak' in the NE and NW.

Definitions:
Changing – Still mostly green, less than 25 percent color.
Near Peak – Significant color showing – anywhere from 30 to 60 percent color.

Lee

jp80874
10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
John,

Sylvan Pond Lee

If others are trying to locate it, it is only four miles east from the house. The girls know and love Sylvan Pond. I think it is most beautiful late in a sunny day. There are four ponds in a loop at Oak Hill and I try to take them in "muddiest order first" so that the girls are cleanest when leaving Sylvan Pond and likely to shake off some of the water in the half mile hike back to the car.

Over all I don't think the plan is working well. I mentioned that I was going to take the SUV to the car wash the other day and Dolly suggested I leave the windows, sunroof and the back door open. The interior is tan. How does she know?

John

winger
10-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Over all I don't think the plan is working well. I mentioned that I was going to take the SUV to the car wash the other day and Dolly suggested I leave the windows, sunroof and the back door open. The interior is tan. How does she know?
LOL! The only problem is that when the windows are open, the drool doesn't get washed off of them. And the first trip after the wash it'll go right back to the way it was. Just like the first thing Sparky does after the groomer is roll in something stinky.

jp80874
10-07-2009, 02:06 PM
LOL! Sparky does after the groomer is roll in something stinky.

Our neighbors 3-4 to the east have a pond similar to ours. They have encouraged the geese as we have not. They now have 50-60 at any time and about ten in the air. Talk about having something stinky to roll in.

Groomer? Whats that?

We will miss you Bethe. I know you gotta go.

Just a reminder. I mentioned earlier that the DNR said poison ivy and relatives were one of the first things to change color. I just mowed the lawn. Everywhere we know we have poison something, is now (to my color blind eyes) very much darker. I'm not talking little waxy pointy leaves in threes, I am talking hand size leaves and 1-3 inch vines. We really want to be sure you know that three leaves of any size, any texture, are NOT your friend.

Now, in the interest of your weekend well being, the girls and I are going to hike Oak Hill and get really wet and dirty. Dolly goes out with her mother on Wednesday. It will be dark before she sees us.

John and the girls

Lee L
10-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Now, in the interest of your weekend well being, the girls and I are going to hike Oak Hill and get really wet and dirty.

John and the girls
John,

Too late I know, but you could take along a yellow and a red filter and tell us what percentage of trees get lighter gray through them. :)

Lee

djkloss
10-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I shoot in black & white anyway, so it doesn't matter much to me. I'm just along for the ride. I don't know yet about time. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Shawn Dougherty
10-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it. I'll surely miss seeing everyone and look forward to meeting again soon.
Wishing you good light. Shawn

jp80874
10-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it. I'll surely miss seeing everyone and look forward to meeting again soon.
Wishing you good light. Shawn

So Sorry Shawn especially if that means your Dad is having trouble. Our best wishes for him.

John & Dolly

jp80874
10-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Lee,

Great idea about Sylvan Pond. We got there about 5 PM and then passed it again about 6 PM. The light was just perfect at 5 PM, getting too low about 6 PM. The trees sure looked like they were changing to me, but you know me....

The park system had a box of printed Oak Hill maps. I grabbed a bunch. Remind me that I have them for you.

Dolly, I don't know how the dogs got so wet and dirty.

It is a half mile walk on a mostly gravel path to Sylvan Lake from the parking lot which is 4 miles from our house. I think the light will be just great if it is a sunny day from 3-5 PM with shadows obviously increasing. Let’s meet at our house at 2:30 PM Saturday and drive to the park. I'll take the girls. We will do our thing, hike out and go to dinner in Peninsula about 3 miles from there.

It was 55 degrees but felt much colder so bring a jacket and shoes for hiking. Plan on safe stowage of your gear because we will be going right to the restaurant. If you want, you may leave bags in my car with the girls barking at every sparrow that goes by.

Looking forward to your company.

John & Dolly

Lee L
10-07-2009, 05:59 PM
If you want, you may leave bags in my car with the girls barking at every sparrow that goes by.
Yep, I've had real trouble with sparrows in the past. Can't even leave the wing windows cracked a quarter inch. They get in and 'poof' there goes your banquet camera and the heavy Ries. :)

Thanks for checking the area John. I should probably admit now that Sylvan wasn't my idea. Cindy and Savannah have opened an APUG account and put me up to it with a PM.

Sorry you can't make it Shawn. Another time.

Lee

jolefler
10-07-2009, 06:12 PM
I should try to make a few extra $. I'll think of you folks getting all artistic with splendid scenery, while I'm grinding out shooting my 56th batter of the day at a softball tournament. Same pose, nearly the same exposure, wait for the swing and..."click". Sheesh :(

John, my sympathy for your loss and stressful situation.

Shawn, best wishes for your Dad and you; we'll meet another time.

Jo