PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio Apug Gathering, Fall Color, October 9-11, 2009

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Jeff Bannow
10-29-2009, 07:52 AM
I thought we kept that hidden from you pretty well. What is it now a year and two months?

Here is the height of irony, an Amish general store, possibly hardware store, with a web site, specializing in non electric living. http://www.lehmans.com/ If that doesnít send you back to bacon maple ice cream I donít know what will.

We could have a pilgrimage there or any of the many high percentage of Amish people towns, but there are at least two problems. They stay away from the towns on weekends because the tourists are looking for them. They do not like their pictures taken for religious reasons. I have ethical problems with us violating that religious preference even though I donít personally agree with it.

John

I love Lehman's! Now we have to go. :D I could use a new fermenting crock ...

I guess we'll just have to leave the cameras at home - Amish butter, cheese ... I wonder if they make ice cream too?

Lee L
10-29-2009, 07:57 AM
I wonder if they make ice cream too?
Hand cranked, or perhaps there's a Cuisinart horse powered ice-cream maker. Of course you need a gas or kerosene powered freezer to keep it in, available at Lehman's.

Lee

Jeff Bannow
10-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Hand cranked, or perhaps there's a Cuisinart horse powered ice-cream maker. Of course you need a gas or kerosene powered freezer to keep it in, available at Lehman's.

Lee

Seems to me like a gas powered freezer would be cheating ... shouldn't it be wood fired, or maybe hand crank? :)

jp80874
10-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Lehman's is south of us.
I thought that is what you called me, fermenting crock?

East of us is http://www.middlefieldcheese.com/

Most of the stores and the bank in Middlefield have hitching
rails and piles of manure in the parking lots.

John

winger
10-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Cheese?! Now you've got my attention. My family used to be in the cheese business back in the 1800's - I think it's in the genes. I love cheese!

Jeff Bannow
10-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Cheese, hand tools, horse ice cream, old crocks - where do I sign up? :D

Shawn Dougherty
10-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Any room for photography next time around? =)

Jeff Bannow
10-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Any room for photography next time around? =)

I think you need to reevaluate your priorities. :)

Nicholas Lindan
10-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Non-electric ice cream...harumph, I'm awfully young and I remember how to do it:

block of ice in a gunny sack
smack it with the side of an axe
put the crushed ice in the wooden bucket with rock salt
put the cream and sugar and strawberries in the inner bucket
turn the crank... and keep turning the crank... and keep turning the crank...

There is a variation with cream and stuff in a jar, placed in a paint can packed with ice and salt, the can is then rolled/kicked back and forth on the front porch.

True, the Amish don't like having their picture taken, though there are exceptions if you ask first - usually if the picture is taken from the back or is as a 'generic working figure' and taken from a distance. There are all sorts of restriction variations among the Amish: some allow DC electricity but not AC; some allow electricity for the milking operation but for nothing else; some allow 2-stroke engines but not 4-stroke; some allow telephones but only if they are located in the barn. We need to find a sect that allows analog photography but not digital.

Some Amish 'rent out' their farms to painting and photography groups, it usually includes a huge home-cooked lunch. If there is interest I can see if I can locate the family that did the rental bit for my Mother's painting group and we can see if they will accommodate photographers.

Jeff Bannow
10-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Some Amish 'rent out' their farms to painting and photography groups, it usually includes a huge home-cooked lunch. If there is interest I can see if I can locate the family that did the rental bit for my Mother's painting group and we can see if they will accommodate photographers.

Sounds interesting!

Tell them we do Amish-style photography. :)

winger
10-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Sounds interesting!

Tell them we do Amish-style photography. :)

Yeah, I'm sure we could all come up with cameras that don't even need batteries.

Nicholas Lindan
10-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I'm sure we could all come up with cameras that don't even need batteries.

Maybe we could invite Bill Schwab - he could pull his wet-plate trailer with a pair of horses?

The Amish might be more amenable to pin-hole cameras - after all they are just a variation on a small hole in the barn wall.

jp80874
10-29-2009, 02:05 PM
If there is interest I can see if I can locate the family that did the rental bit for my Mother's painting group and we can see if they will accommodate photographers.

That sounds great Nicholas. Thank you. Maybe we could even get Dolly to join in with her water colors. Is the interest for this fall or next spring? Where is the farm located? If it is in the snow belt where it snows in feet rather than inches we should take that into consideration.

John

DeBone 75
10-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Speaking of the Amish Country my Wife and I were there in Sept of this year and Nov of last. John you'll have to help me on this. I think it is called the Walnut Creek Grocery, or something. Anyhow when you walk in to the store, on the display shelf above the door is this big honken 20X24 camera on a tripod. Has anyone everseen that

jp80874
10-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Speaking of the Amish Country my Wife and I were there in Sept of this year and Nov of last. John you'll have to help me on this. I think it is called the Walnut Creek Grocery, or something. Anyhow when you walk in to the store, on the display shelf above the door is this big honken 20X24 camera on a tripod. Has anyone everseen that

No, that is news to me. I looked it up on Google and I could probably find it, but I know nothing about it. Sounds very interesting.

John

djkloss
10-30-2009, 07:01 AM
do these amish wear white or black hats? are they similar to menonites? one time my girlfriend and I tried to do some landscape photos with an amish house in the photo. the kids shined their mirror on us and nearly blinded us with the reflection. ouch! smart kids! and an elder came out and started yelling at us about leaving them alone. that was in New York State.

my dad has a spy camera from WWII. maybe we should get out the leicas and do some sneaky street photography.

do you suppose there are any lurkers out there watching us?

Nicholas Lindan
10-30-2009, 08:36 AM
The Amish around here wear straw hats. But there are all sorts of Amish - some of the 'Old Order' ones go so far as to ban buttons as 'ornamentation' and hold their shirts closed with straight pins. You may have run into a strict sect - though if they allow mirrors...

ic-racer
11-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Now for something very non-Amish :)

I was looking for some 8x10 enlarging lenses and found a place that had both a 360mm Componon that I wanted to try and a 300mm Process lens. I turns out they also had a broken Durst with a supposedly working CLS2000 head.

So, after a very eventful weekend of travel, I got the two lenses and a car full of spare Durst parts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/DSCF4758.jpg

ic-racer
11-17-2009, 04:19 PM
I was able to fix the CLS2000 head and get it running. It is quite a beast. I actually put it up on the enlarger myself. I stripped the head of just about anything that would unscrew so I could lift if high enough to get it up there.

For those who have never seen one of these in person, that full-size home water heater is a good size reference.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/Installed.jpg

djkloss
11-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Holy Cow Dale! Great find!