PDA

View Full Version : NE Ohio Apug Gathering, Fall Color, October 9-11, 2009

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

djkloss
11-19-2009, 05:33 PM
hey where is everybody? I miss you guys!

jp80874
11-19-2009, 07:26 PM
hey where is everybody? I miss you guys!

Good point Dorothy. What has everyone been doing photographically since we last saw each other? We have to have fodder for the next show and tell.

John

djkloss
11-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Good point Dorothy. What has everyone been doing photographically since we last saw each other? We have to have fodder for the next show and tell.

John

Well, I guess I'll start. I'm using up the last of my Fomatone Chamois 542. We have a show coming up on Dec 4-6 so I'm planning ahead... lol! I made a couple of 16x20s and tried something new. I used a diffuser under the enlarger lens. And it shows all the 'defects'. ouch! So, I'm thinking I need someone to invent a contraption that will move the diffuser filter in a circular motion while I do the dodging. Or I need more hands. I like the effect, but need more practice.

My next trick is to split tone the prints without ruining them. It's not easy toning 16x20s! I got a box of the new fomatone chamois 542-II but haven't tried it yet.

I got one nice print, but there's a stripe right down the middle, from what I don't know. Maybe a flaw in the paper? Then there's the black specs on the print........... ah, so much fun!

The good news is I found an enlarger lens I didn't know I had. It's a 105mm Rodenstock so now I can enlarge to 16x20 and crop out the vignetting. You'd think I would do that 'before' when I take the picture, but no. Still working on that dilema.

Can't wait till the next show & tell!

jp80874
11-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Jeff & Eva Bannow mentioned that Andrew Moore will be exhibiting at the Akron Art Museum. Akron U professor Andrew Borowiec’s, “Ohio Photographs” run from Feb 20 to May 30th 2010. My contact at the museum, my Photo 2 instructor, says the Andrew Moore exhibit will open shortly after that in June. Why am I mentioning it now, months ahead? Andrew Moore has a six page spread in the Winter 2009 issue of Aperture that Dolly and I picked up at Barnes & Noble today. It is a great article with many photographs. We certainly will be going and we hope you will join us.

Jeff, tell us about your connection with Moore. I can see how he has been an inspiration for some of the work you have shown us. Tell us all about it.

Andrew Moore http://www.andrewlmoore.com/

John

ic-racer
11-28-2009, 11:00 PM
I see work of Moore every day at lunch. A few years ago he and Larry Fink were commissioned by my employer to shoot around campus. So, a few years after it seems both his work and Larry's work wound up in the staff cafeteria. It is good work, I don't get tired of seeing it and will certainly head to Akron to see the show. I was down there a few weeks ago to see the Chuck Close exhibit. The Close exhibit was good, but in terms of photography, there were no photographs. There was a large Polaroid that looked like a photograph, but it was a d****** reproduction. I have pretty strong feelings about that kind of thing. It made me want to cut up my Ansel Adams and John Sexton calendars and display them as 'original reproductions' :)

ic-racer
11-28-2009, 11:07 PM
I also want to mention that my friend made his first prints last week in his modest apartment darkroom (thanks to Jeff's enlarger). So, he will have prints to show at our next gathering.

jp80874
11-29-2009, 08:33 AM
I also want to mention that my friend made his first prints last week in his modest apartment darkroom (thanks to Jeff's enlarger). So, he will have prints to show at our next gathering.

Congratulations on first prints to Bill Jones who some of us met first time during Peter Spangenberg's platinum demo last event.

John

jp80874
11-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Saturday I received a post card notice of the next Photorama USA photo swap meet. Dec. 6th, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM at the Quality Inn - Richfield, just south of the Turnpike entrance on Brecksville Road. $6 entrance, $2 students with ID. Just in time to buy a Christmas photo goodie for your favorite photographer.

John

winger
11-29-2009, 08:50 AM
A few years ago he and Larry Fink were commissioned by my employer to shoot around campus. So, a few years after it seems both his work and Larry's work wound up in the staff cafeteria. It is good work, I don't get tired of seeing it and will certainly head to Akron to see the show.

Hopefully I'll be able to see the show as well. My schedule this spring is up in the air at the moment.
side note - Larry Fink was my photography instructor in college. He only taught there for the one year and then went to a different college. Interesting guy.

Jeff Bannow
12-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Jeff & Eva Bannow mentioned that Andrew Moore will be exhibiting at the Akron Art Museum. Akron U professor Andrew Borowiec’s, “Ohio Photographs” run from Feb 20 to May 30th 2010. My contact at the museum, my Photo 2 instructor, says the Andrew Moore exhibit will open shortly after that in June. Why am I mentioning it now, months ahead? Andrew Moore has a six page spread in the Winter 2009 issue of Aperture that Dolly and I picked up at Barnes & Noble today. It is a great article with many photographs. We certainly will be going and we hope you will join us.

Jeff, tell us about your connection with Moore. I can see how he has been an inspiration for some of the work you have shown us. Tell us all about it.

Andrew Moore http://www.andrewlmoore.com/

John

Going to have to pick up that Aperture issue! I'm definitely planning on catching the exhibit as well.

So, the story of how we know Andrew ... Eva & I run a photo group called the Click Collective, as most of you know. It's a small group of about 20 members who get together to share work, critique, go on group shoots, hold gallery shows, etc. Two of the members are our German friends Dan & Silke Seybold, also occasionally seen here on APUG.

Through Dan & Silke, we are friends with Yves Marchand & Romain Meffre, two french photographers shooting 4x5 color work of abandoned buildings, for galleries in Paris. Their website (http://www.marchandmeffre.com/) We've toured them around Detroit a few times on day shoots ourselves.

Yves & Romain are friends with Andrew Moore through the shooting of abandoned buildings - Andrew contacted them after seeing their work published. Yves & Romain put Andrew in touch with Dan & Silke, who became fast friends.

Now, whenever any of them come to Detroit, Dan, Silke, Eva or I tour them around the ruins of Detroit. The last few times Andrew came, he stayed with Dan & Silke for the week. When he was in town over the summer, he was kind enough to critique the Dreams show The Click Collective was in the process of putting up at the BBAC.

Andrew's a nice guy and a talented photographer. He knows his way around a darkroom, and still shoots film - 4x5 & 8x10 color mostly.

Is that all clear as mud? :)

To summarize - acquaintance through mutual friends. I guess I should have said that to begin with. ;)

Lee L
12-02-2009, 01:06 PM
As of today I'm planning on making the Photorama show on Sun, Dec. 6th in Richfield. I expect to be there in time for the 10 am opening time, and would be happy to hang out with other folks for lunch, perhaps a gallery show, or whatever.

Lee

jp80874
12-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Going to have to pick up that Aperture issue! I'm definitely planning on catching the exhibit as well.

So, the story of how we know Andrew ... Eva & I run a photo group called the Click Collective, as most of you know. It's a small group of about 20 members who get together to share work, critique, go on group shoots, hold gallery shows, etc. Two of the members are our German friends Dan & Silke Seybold, also occasionally seen here on APUG.

Through Dan & Silke, we are friends with Yves Marchand & Romain Meffre, two french photographers shooting 4x5 color work of abandoned buildings, for galleries in Paris. Their website (http://www.marchandmeffre.com/) We've toured them around Detroit a few times on day shoots ourselves.

Yves & Romain are friends with Andrew Moore through the shooting of abandoned buildings - Andrew contacted them after seeing their work published. Yves & Romain put Andrew in touch with Dan & Silke, who became fast friends.

Now, whenever any of them come to Detroit, Dan, Silke, Eva or I tour them around the ruins of Detroit. The last few times Andrew came, he stayed with Dan & Silke for the week. When he was in town over the summer, he was kind enough to critique the Dreams show The Click Collective was in the process of putting up at the BBAC.

Andrew's a nice guy and a talented photographer. He knows his way around a darkroom, and still shoots film - 4x5 & 8x10 color mostly.

Is that all clear as mud? :)

To summarize - acquaintance through mutual friends. I guess I should have said that to begin with. ;)

Great story. Thank you. I had not realized the extent of your group. Sounds very interesting. Hope you will bring some of them down here.

John

jp80874
12-02-2009, 04:24 PM
As of today I'm planning on making the Photorama show on Sun, Dec. 6th in Richfield. I expect to be there in time for the 10 am opening time, and would be happy to hang out with other folks for lunch, perhaps a gallery show, or whatever.

Lee

Looking forward to seeing you there. Peter called and said he would also be there. I may have a surprise addition. Final confirmation not in yet.

John

ic-racer
12-02-2009, 05:09 PM
See you all there Sat AM.

Shawn Dougherty
12-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Darn it, I'm tied up this weekend and won't be able to make it over. Hope you have a great time and find some killer deals! Shawn

Lee L
12-02-2009, 08:26 PM
See you all there Sat AM.

Make that Sunday.

Lee

jp80874
12-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Great weekend in NE OH APUG. Bethe stayed with Dolly and me Saturday showing pictures and a little bump that she promises will be a baby boy in early February. We went to the Richfield photo swap meet and celebrated birthday boy Lee Lumpkin’s event a day late. Dale Marsh was there haggling with the vendors. Bethe was in lust with a wide lens, but didn’t take it home. I found some books I liked and will be reading over Christmas. Peter said he would join us, but we missed him. The four of us had lunch down the road, told tall stories, encountered an eavesdropping waitress who thought film must be a lot more fun than digital based on how we were enjoying it. Wish more of you had come, but those that did had fun.

John Powers

Jeff Bannow
12-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Great weekend in NE OH APUG. Bethe stayed with Dolly and me Saturday showing pictures and a little bump that she promises will be a baby boy in early February. We went to the Richfield photo swap meet and celebrated birthday boy Lee Lumpkin’s event a day late. Dale Marsh was there haggling with the vendors. Bethe was in lust with a wide lens, but didn’t take it home. I found some books I liked and will be reading over Christmas. Peter said he would join us, but we missed him. The four of us had lunch down the road, told tall stories, encountered an eavesdropping waitress who thought film must be a lot more fun than digital based on how we were enjoying it. Wish more of you had come, but those that did had fun.

John Powers

Wish we had come as well! Sounds like a blast - sorry to have missed it.

djkloss
01-20-2010, 07:46 PM
I MISS YOU GUYS! :(

jp80874
01-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Miss you too. We need a gathering worthy event to get the gang together.

John