PDA

View Full Version : Estate sale "score"

2F/2F
09-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Hello,

As some of you may know, I am the photographer for an estate sales company. I photograph objects on white backgrounds for e-bay, but another part of the job is photographing our warehouse or locations after they are set up for a sale. These pix are used to advertise upcoming sales. As such, I come across old photo equipment all the time, and my boss always gives me first chance to purchase anything for 30% off sticker price before the sale opens to the public. (Since 30% is usually the company's "take" for a job, his version of an employee discount is to not take the 30% for items purchased by employees.) Most of the time it is nothing to write home about, but I have got a nice Linhof III kit and an early Voigtlander Petzval this way.

Today I made a decent "score" on a lot of stuff, and I am curious what exactly one of the items is.

Today I got a near mint Omega B-22XL, which is a twin of the enlarger I already have. It has a better lens than mine (Rodenstock 50mm), and a smaller baseboard, which is nice. I also got a Nikkormat FT with a 50mm Nikkor-S and two Vivitar lenses (28mm f/3.5 and 135mm f/2.8).

However, the real interesting thing is a very nice old leather case filled with Zeiss sheet film holders, and one object that appears to be a film pack holder. These are very slim and made of metal. I have not yet determined whether they are 4x5 in. or 9x12 cm, as the lot of them is still at the location. There is also a set of three filters. Looks like two diopters and a graduated yellow filter.

I love the slim design. However, there is no ridge on the holders for a Graflok back, so I doubt that they will have any utility for me in my 4x5 camera backs. Unfortunately, the camera was nowhere to be found. Perhaps I could use them in a pinhole camera, or if I some day get the camera they are designed to fit.

Does anyone have any ideas what they might be?

I have attached an image of a 6.5x9 version that appears very similar (found on Photo.net, posted by Mr. Pico DiGoliardi).

http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00J/00JzmB-35033684.jpg

panchro-press
09-10-2009, 12:50 AM
When I began in photography some 40+ years ago, the C.P. Goretz 3.25X4.25 folding camera my grandfather gave me had similar holders. They can either hold plates; or with the septums hold film.

-30-

Ian Grant
09-10-2009, 01:27 AM
They are quarter plate or 9x12, the film inserts are hard to find so your lucky. The problem is Zeiss made at least 3 version of the plate holder, there was no national (German) or International standard before WWII. This link (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum192/51677-9x12-plate-holders-1-a.html) gives an idea of the problem, the cameras all look quite similar if not virtually identical.

Sounds like a good day :D

Ian

brian d
09-10-2009, 09:53 AM
If you cant use them I know of someone who can;)

Frank R
09-10-2009, 09:58 AM
One of the forum members is looking for some 9x12 film holders here:
http://www.apug.org/forums/classifieds.php?do=showad&adid=1306&title=9x12cm-film-holder-inserts

Contact him. He will need to provide measurements to ensure they are the right ones.

Soeren
09-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Its too much of a hazle to find out if they are any good. Just send them to me :p

Ian Grant
09-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Its too much of a hazle to find out if they are any good. Just send them to me :p

They won't fit a "Hazleblad" :D

2F/2F
09-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks for all the information. I will post details when I get the time. I have the stuff now. Forgot to mention the Yashica D. Though it is in very nice shape and has a leather case, the shutter does not appear to be working. I got it all for $100.

P.S. In the Nikon's case I just discovered a roll of 35mm 2475 recording film, expired 1973, in the [opened] box with metal canister and instructions.

Anscojohn
09-14-2009, 01:36 AM
I expect they are metal film holders for a 9x12 "hand and stand' camera of a type popular in the teens and twenties of the last century.

2F/2F
09-14-2009, 01:39 AM
One more thing: The holders are all marked 665/7 and Zeiss Ikon, though there are a few slightly different designs. There are seven of them, plus a Voigtlander holder that appears to be for a film pack or something similar.

The two diopters are marked Carl Zeiss Jena, and Proxar 2 x 42 and Distar 3 x 42. The yellow grad filter has no markings, and does not appear similar in design to the Zeiss diopters.

ntenny
09-14-2009, 03:08 AM
One more thing: The holders are all marked 665/7 and Zeiss Ikon, though there are a few slightly different designs. There are seven of them, plus a Voigtlander holder that appears to be for a film pack or something similar.

I'm pretty sure 665/7 is the part number for Zeiss 9x12 plate holders of the "Normalfalz" type. The Voigtlaender film-pack holder would be consistent with this (Voigtlaender used the same standard for holders).

You'll find plenty of people over in the plate-camera forum who will have a use for these. (Not me; I'm pretty well set for 9x12, though I still need some holders and a ground-glass back for 6.5x9.) Or you could develop a plate-camera addiction of your Very Own. :-)

-NT

2F/2F
10-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the information, everybody. I'd like to hang on to the holders, but could use some extra cash to get some various repairs done. I will be selling the holders. I gave the enlarger away to a friend for whom I set up a darkroom. I will probably try to get the Yashica unjammed and keep it as a "car camera". The two Vivitar lenses for the Nikon are also going to go (cheap). The Nikkor-S is trash due to its badly marked front element. I might try to take it apart and tweak it for soft focus or something like that, but it is probably just a paperweight or a parts lens. One guy e-mailed me already about the holders. I wonder what they are worth.

2F/2F
11-04-2009, 05:42 PM
OK - holders, case and filters are listed in the classified section!