PDA

View Full Version : Filters for a Widelux?

Jesper
09-12-2009, 07:19 AM
I have just purchased a Widelux F7 (not yet delivered) and has been searching around for filters without any luck.

Does anybody know if it is possible to find filters for it?
Is there anyone out there with suggestions on how to adapt filters for a Widelux?

All suggestions welcome.

yurihuta
09-14-2009, 11:35 AM
I too just purchased a Widelux f7 (also not yet delivered - did we buy the same camera? joke) and am also interested in this filter question.

bill h
09-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I've been using Wratten filter stock cut into strips and held across the front of the camera. Violates all sorts of lens-purity issues but it works, if you're willing to accept some uncertainty. Since I use my fingers, is this digital?
-b

Jesper
09-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Gelatine filters, that's a good idea. I'll try it.
Thanks.

I guess the filter will be digital...

yurihuta
09-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Do you notice any significant distortion when using the gels?

I've been using Wratten filter stock cut into strips and held across the front of the camera. Violates all sorts of lens-purity issues but it works, if you're willing to accept some uncertainty. Since I use my fingers, is this digital?
-b

yurihuta
09-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Jesper,

Did you get your Widelux F7 delivered? I received mine and it is a wonderful piece of equipment. I feel lucky as there is no stuttering when the lens rotates through an exposure.

Yuri

I have just purchased a Widelux F7

Colin Corneau
09-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I have this camera and love it. Lens is quite sharp, too.

There are filters you can get for this camera, that were made for it...rare and -- you guessed it -- expensive.

Check fleabay to have a look, there's usually some up there. Or call on Mr. Google.

It's a good idea to exercise the shutter on this camera -- you can pull the lens turret back and let it go just to keep things greased up. Actor/El Duderino Jeff Bridges has a cool page on his Widelux work, with some good advice on it.

Jesper
09-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I got my Widelux F7 yesterday after a too long wait, and I am happy to say that it works flawlessly. Just a testfilm so far, but no banding and correct exposure.
I will continue to look for filters, but I will try gel filters.

I love the design.

bill h
09-28-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't notice any image distortion to speak of -- my biggest problem with them is keeping my fingers out of the shot.

Do you notice any significant distortion when using the gels?

yurihuta
09-30-2009, 10:21 PM
I just purchased a set of six filters. I have yet to receive them, but they appear to be in excellent shape - which they should be for the price I paid for them.

I am going to inquire about getting other filters put into the filter holders.

Has anyone ever retrofitted these to accept other filters?

jvan01
10-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I've never retrofitted mine, but i've heard of some people inserting +1 or +2 diopter glass into their filters for closer focus.

yurihuta
10-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I may send in my F7 for an overhaul and inquire about fitting a filter holder or two with different filters. The closeup filters are interesting and I will try and look into that. That would really expand what one could do with these unique cameras.

yurihuta
10-05-2009, 03:54 PM
I just stumbled onto another set of these, so will definitely experiment with close up filters. Anyone have suggestions on how to start something like this?

Don Dudenbostel
10-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I unfortunately had one of the problem F7's. I was in the shop three or four times so I finally gave in and sold it. I also had a 1st version Horizont, the all metal one, and have never had a problem with it. My widelux banded terribly but the Horizont never has. It's quite sharp, has a great VF with inernal bubble level and works well except the spacing between frames is a little on the wide side which is no problem. I have a friend that has the same model and she's never had a problem either. The old version like we have would be a very economical and reliable alternative to the Widelux.

I think I still have the filter rings and will have to look for them. I tool the old filters out and cut gelatin wratten filters to fit. I installed a 29 and an 87c or high speed IR. If I remember correctly the filters come apart very easily and it's very easy to install gelatins. What are the filter frames worth without a case?