PDA

View Full Version : Second annual US Pacific Northwest APUG gathering was a Great Smash!

Robert Brummitt
09-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Hello all,
I want to share with you that the Second Annual US Pacific Northwest APUG group meeting was a great smash and fun event this last weekend. We opened the event to the general public and invited local photographers to share their expertise and knowledge. We had 50 people attend.
I want to personally thank APUG members, Vaughn Hutchins, Denise Ross and Steve Anchell for coming and sharing with everyone. The theme was Alternative Processes. We covered most but maybe next time cover more.
Vaughn has stepped up to host the 3rd meet up in Eureka, California.
Here is a link written up by Tom Hubbard, editor of Portland Metro Photographic News www.pmpnonline.com/specialhappenings.htm#451358775

arealitystudios
09-14-2009, 02:07 PM
how on earth did I miss this!?

**doh**

:confused:

Robert Brummitt
09-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Sorry that you missed it. I had posted both in the general forum and in the regional group forum. I also posted on Portland Metro Photographic News and several other sites. I hate it when someone slips thru the cracks. Maybe you will make it next year in Eureka, Calif.

Vaughn
09-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Expertly organized and pulled off by Robert!, and the meeting site was graciously hosted by WSU and Annetta (sp?) What wonderful facilities!

Vaughn

Jim Fitzgerald
09-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Looks like I'll have to put next years event down and reserve the date. Eureka is closer for me. Okay for SoCal photographers to come?

Jim

Don12x20
09-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Sure, Jim
Just enroll with Vaughn to be an honorary state of Jefferson citizenship ;-)
Will be good to see you there next year
Don

Kirk Keyes
09-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Sorry I missed it too, but the weather was too good not to go camping.

I'm not sure I can make it to the State of Jefferson for next year. Maybe it will be up north again the following year.

Curt
09-15-2009, 04:48 PM
I enjoyed the Carbon printing session, I don't know who that nice man was but he knew his business. :D I think the best print he brought was a 5x7 print of a coastal cove. The relief in those prints was astounding, I think I will start doing Carbon Transfer after seeing the presentation. :D

BTW Vaughn I plan to get my fingers in the Glop too and my Dichromate arrived today thanks to Bud and Sherry at the Formulary. :p

I will be up for Eureka next year.
I usually stay at the fbi motel near the Carson House but I would be taking my truck and trailer. Better food, clean bed and head.

Curt

Vaughn
09-16-2009, 12:08 AM
The events are organized by the folks of the APUG social group, U.S. Pacific Northwest Regional WA-OR-ID and the State of Jefferson. But as far as who can attend, it is open to anyone/everyone who wants to show up. Film or digital, or any type of hybrid is welcome. The whole idea is photography. I'll be spreading the word to our local schools and camera clubs.. Jim -- if they let you through the redwood curtain, you are welcome to join us!

The last gathering was directed heavily towards alternative photographic processes. We can continue in this vein, or take on new and/or different topics. For example, perhaps one of our photo professors here at HSU could show her work and talk to the group about transitioning from large RA4 prints to large digital (inkjet) prints -- how it has influenced how/what she photographs. More ideas gladly accepted!

If there is interest, I could do another carbon demo, or perhaps Jim and I can do it together..

Since it is a long ways for most people, and the redwoods are right here, perhaps a stronger (longer) photographing element would be in order? Perhaps after meeting in the morning on Sunday, a journey northwards to Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park to photograph? Coastal stops on the way up would also be possible. Large format camera demos in the redwoods, etc. We could keep within the 50 feet of the vehicles where Brett found things to photograph, or we can wander a little farther than that and I can share some of my favorite trees. Then when it is time to head towards home, people heading north would start out 40 to 50 miles closer to home. We also have our share of old barns, Victorian houses, rugged coastlines, fishing boats, mosquito-infested sand dunes (much better in the winter!), farmer's markets, and many other photographic subjects.

I think that the month of these meetings is pretty much set in September, for purposes of working with the Newport Photography Workshop schedule. But just to let you all know -- Mid-October is much nicer -- the Big-leaf maples are turning yellow. But I have to admit, coming home from Vancouver, I hit the redwoods right after a good long rain. beautiful...too bad I did not have my 8x10 with me...actually a good thing as I would have been late getting home!

Anyway, I have to clear the use of the darkroom and classroom with the Powers That Be and all that.

Again, congrats and thanks to Robert for a great week-end!

Vaughn

Kirk Keyes
09-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Vaughn, how about having it in May so the rhododendrons are blooming in the Redwoods?

Don12x20
09-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Vaughn
Agree on moving to something beyond alt processes.
And the idea of making Sunday a full photographic day has a lot of merit -- traveling that far to just sit in a room listening for two days while foregoing all the great opportunities to make images does not make good sense (unless you are either retired to take extra days or live locally). So this sounds like an outstanding idea to photograph northwards towards Crescent City....only a few like Jim would incur additional travel time.

I don't agree that you have to keep with September. I know Denise can be persuasive- but you don't need to tie it to some schedule for workshops in Newport. The annual is attended by too many people to have it hostage to to Newport schedules -- the workshops attendance seems to target 6, and the attendance in the aaual the two past years has been around 50. I am available in May, September or October so it does not matter to me, but the additional color in the trees makes sense, or even the Rhody bloom, compared to September....

If you need help planning, let me know. I started this ball of wax after taking one of Denise/Kirk's early workshops in May 2008 -- I suggested the get together and then worked with Denise to get it started. Let me know,

Don

And Denise and I selected September because it was the soonest we could plan (after email discussions in June 2008) and we didn't hit the rains of October -- recall we had a good amount of image making opportunities on each day in 2008 to keep the balance -- not too many presentations each day. Bottom line..September isn't sacred.

Oct or May works for me --

dwross
09-16-2009, 10:00 AM
I love the characterization of being persuasive! Would that it were so :(

I couple of points of clarification. We tied the workshop schedule in Newport to the annual meeting, not vice versa. We didn't want people to have to choose between the meeting and a workshop they might want to take.

We chose the month for the meeting based on likely good weather for photography. I was initially in favor of August, but I was in the distinct minority. Too many people plan August family vacations, and in many of the areas where we will likely want to hold meetings, motel accommodations are harder to get and more expensive during the height of tourist season.

Also, about shooting expeditions: Steve Anchell offered to hold a large format outing with people on Sunday, but he didn't get any (or enough) takers, so he canceled. Still, I am definitely in favor of a balance between being outside with a camera and inside sitting in a chair.

Denise

Don12x20
09-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Denise - you are too modest. You were very persuasive during the 2008 planning... you were the voice that kept it balanced between photographic opportunities and presentations! We had plenty of people making images during 2008, so it wasn't the case of 2009...maybe it was the location? State of Jefferson has soooo many photographic opportunities that cutting the number of presentions down makes sense to me...

In any event, I think you are saying that the workshops could shift if the annual changed months next year.

dwross
09-16-2009, 10:38 AM
The schedule of workshops is pretty much set through the end of August 2010. We didn't schedule September, obviously, and October and November are still TBD. We won't schedule anything in December. That month is plenty enough packed already for most people.

The Newport Photography Workshops just last week got a website started. We're still fleshing it out, but the schedule of classes is available as a printable two-sided page designed to be a trifold. http://www.newportphotographyworkshops.com/

d

Robert Brummitt
09-16-2009, 11:15 AM
I have also offered help in organizing the 2010 meet up to Vaughn. I would hope he will take it. But it is his show now and we all should let him lead. So lead on my friend, lead on.
I agree with Vaughn to open it up to all forms of photography. I'm a firm believer that boiled down it's the person behind the camera that is doing the seeing and the technique is just a part of that process. But, this is a Analog web group and I followed its rules for the 2009 gathering.
I would suggest that all this discussion be moved to our Sub forum or pm boxes. Or better yet, let Vaughn do his thing. He's is capable.

Vaughn
09-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi Denise! I had to buzz down the coast and passed through Newport around midnight. Hope your trip to eastern Oregon was a good one.

Since so many of the organizers of the workshops are also involved in the gatherings, it makes sense to coordinate the two! We'll give some thought about this and work out whether an October gathering would be something we want to do, since it appears that the workshop schedule is still open Sept thru Dec, 2010. I am still decompressing from the drive up to Vancouver and being thrown back into family and work, so I will give this more thought later!

I'll be using your help, Robert!