PDA

View Full Version : Winter is upon us... what to do?

JohnRichard
09-17-2009, 08:18 PM
So I am thinking about setting up a store front. It's not cheap, but for the area... I don't think it's THAT bad.

Anyhow, regarding Portraiture, does the Winter season have an impact on the Portrait business like it does the Wedding business?

I don't know if I want to wait until the spring, because space where I want to set up is going fast!

Thoughts?

keithwms
09-17-2009, 08:35 PM
I would guess that fall/winter is a good time to be in the portrait business. There are so many family gatherings and reasons to have portraits done (with the exception of HS portraits, which I guess are done in the spring, and peak US wedding months are probably May-August). So many people thinking, hmm, what will I give grandmom... yep, a portrait.... plus there just seem to be many more reasons to dress up in the winter months.

I would also think that from a business standpoint this is a great time to lock in any loans and such. We are about to see much less favourable interest rates. Ironically, the best financial policy right now seems to be to go into debt as far as they will allow you.... and pay later!

Cheryl Jacobs
10-05-2009, 09:56 AM
I just saw this thread. Really, much depends on what kind of portraiture you intend to do. As Keith said, the holidays are great for the portrait business, but can leave January and February a little flat. If, on the other hand, you are planning to do maternity / newborn photography, your business will be more regular.

If you're going to launch your business before spring, I would do it immediately. Keeping in mind lead times in the busy season, you're already a little behind for holiday business.

- CJ

pauliej
10-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Winter comes early where you live, I guess. We just started Autumn here in Ohio a few weeks ago. Could be the global weather changes, I'm a thinkin'...

paulie

DLawson
10-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Winter comes early where you live, I guess. We just started Autumn here in Ohio a few weeks ago. Could be the global weather changes, I'm a thinkin'...

paulie

In this part of Ohio, Home Depot already has the plastic Christmas trees on sale. So it must be winter.