PDA

View Full Version : Mystery European Abbey on the Harbor

jon koss
09-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Well, as you know I have been rotating the stacks of vintage prints in my office (and closet, and drawer file, and bureau, and spare bedroom, etc!). I have been struck by the number of beautiful but anonymous prints of beautiful but anonymous people and places. The attached photo is an example. It is a brilliant vintage print of an unforgettable friar at an unforgettable location, in Europe I assume. Only thing is, everyone has long since forgotten who and where! Feel free to hazard a guess as to the location if you think you know where it is. The print is around 8 x 10 inches, by the way. In person it is really sharp and bright. The photographer captured well the dry white light of the sunstruck coast.

Sign your prints!

Jon

mablo
10-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Cinque Terre in Italy near Genova is my best guess. The mure in the harbor with openings is still there if my memory is right.

TheFlyingCamera
10-01-2009, 05:18 AM
I'll put in a second vote for one of the towns in the Cinque Terre. I'm thinking somewhere in the Portofino National Park, maybe outside Camogli, which has an abbey and 1200 acres of vineyards.

Sirius Glass
10-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Isle of Capri over looking the harbor located in the Bay of Naples [Italy]. It is not an abbey.

Steve

sevo
10-01-2009, 04:02 PM
It indeed looks like the spitting image of the rotunda columns - if it weren't for the fact that Capri is to the right, not the left, and the bay is much deeper. But it has been one of the most famous scenic views on this planet for a few millenia - it is extremely likely that it has been copied by the dozen all over Italy and beyond.

Sirius Glass
10-01-2009, 05:42 PM
It indeed looks like the spitting image of the rotunda columns - if it weren't for the fact that Capri is to the right, not the left, and the bay is much deeper. But it has been one of the most famous scenic views on this planet for a few millenia - it is extremely likely that it has been copied by the dozen all over Italy and beyond.

That is only the case if you are looking the other way. :o

Steve

trevor8feb
10-05-2009, 10:33 PM
It's Amalfi in Italy.
I was there in 2005 and would love to go back!

If I can work out how to post a photograph of 2005 Amalfi (I'm new here) I'll post one.

jon koss
10-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Wow - I am totally impressed! Thanks, trevor8feb. I scoped Amalfi on Google and came up with the pictures below. There is no doubt that we are looking at Amalfi in my photo with the good friar. Interestingly, it looks like the pattern of the arches right at the waterline has changed since the time of my photo and the stereo card. Modern shots seem to show additional arches right along the water.

Best to all APUGers!

J

It's Amalfi in Italy.
I was there in 2005 and would love to go back!

If I can work out how to post a photograph of 2005 Amalfi (I'm new here) I'll post one.

Sirius Glass
10-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Yep, I will go with Amalfi too.

Steve