PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver area shared darkrooms and other equipment

Fluorsynapse
10-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Would experienced APUG members care to offer their knowledge about local sources of shared photo equipment, such as dark room facilities and film scanners in and around Vancouver?

dances_w_clouds
10-07-2009, 03:04 PM
I am the facilitator for the photography department at Coast Resource Center @ 1225 Seymour St. (Seymour & Davie) In the facility I have 2 Beseler 23 II Enlargers for use. I have a full wet set up for B & W prints.

I have a few photographs of the darkroom in "Portraits of a Darkroom" here in APUG. The program I run is every Saturday from 1:00 - 4:00. There are others times that the room is available for use during the week. 9:00-4:30. One good thing is that it is free. There are certain rules to go by but nothing too severe.

PM me and I will give you details of what is required and when we can meet for me to show you around.

Dave Swinnard
10-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Another option is Focal Point, up on W. 10th Avenue near UBC. They have been in the darkroom and studio rental business in Vancouver since the mid(ish) '70s. (I took my first class there in 1976 as a break from studies at UBC)

There are currently 6 individual darkrooms (tray processing for prints or film processing) available. Four with Beseler 23Cs (up to 6x9 cm) and a couple with Omega D5s (up to 4x5 inches).

As they also run classes you need to check with them regarding rental availability (604-224-3636)

Dave
(disclaimer, I've been both a student and an employee of Focal Point)

d.reed
10-15-2009, 01:33 AM
You can also print at the Vancouver Darkroom Co-op. It's at Kingsway and Fraser. There's a small joining fee, I think it's 145, then it's 95 a month for unlimited use, 24/7, only payable for the months you do any printing. They have three darkrooms with tray processing for B&W. They also have a Kreonite colour processing machine. http://darkroomco.zoomshare.com/1.html

MattKing
10-22-2009, 10:01 PM
The Dunbar Community Centre has one.

This came back to my attention (I had forgotten about it) as a result of a posting today on Craigslist:

http://www.dunbarcentre.ca/services_and_facilities/darkroom.htm

I haven't used it. I've heard that it can be a bit quirky to use.

Matt

telkwa
11-07-2009, 01:41 AM
UBC Photosoc sells memberships to its students and Alumni - they sell them to the public for $200. They had 6 or 7 Saunders LPL 4550 XL, and one colour head in it's own room, back when I used it in 2005 as an Alum.

andriy
12-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Since this thread is a bit old ...

I know the Darkroom Co-op is still active; any updates on the status of the other facilities mentioned?

KGee
04-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Hi there,
Can you tell me if your dark room is still open?
Thank you.

Kevin Harding
04-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Hi KGee,

I don't know how many of those darkrooms are still active! The Co-op closed, Focal Point is gone, I'm not sure about the others.

The West End Community Centre has a darkroom via the West End Photographic Society (http://www.westendphotoclub.ca/), and there's one in New West at Film 2 Frame (film2frame.com).

MattKing
04-16-2014, 11:13 PM
The Dunbar Community Centre has a rental darkroom listed on their website.

dances_w_clouds
04-17-2014, 01:48 AM
Thanks for that post Matt. Discovered a few interesting places that still do wet photography printing.