PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to get some feedback on this

Pages : 1 2 [3]

SafetyBob
07-29-2011, 02:03 AM
RB, I see exactly what you wanted to accomplish with this lovely photo. Reminds me why I need to get my 6x6 equipment out more often. It has been killing me though about her hand.....as said, those very long and only four fingers are really drawing my attention....and the sad part is, I am not sure of how to best handle that if I even saw it in the first place. Maybe rotate the hand clockwise to show the whole hand? Have her lightly pressing her hand on her clothing to get away from those long fingers just hanging there?

I thought about how lovely just a face shot or close up would be of her, but then the staircase would be half way up her back with perfectly creamy background to show off her face.

All that said, when I first just "looked" at the photo, I loved it. Your model is beautiful, I love the square format, and the black and white just screams emotion to me. GREAT job!!

Bob E.

RalphLambrecht
11-21-2011, 07:07 AM
I hear you - I originally bought a square camera for flexibility and put a grid screen in it so that I could visualize landscape and portrait comps without flipping the camera around but as I got used to it somethings just screamed square to me.

This one screamed square to me.

The funny thing is some of my best shots that were great square my clients insisted on a portrait crop. Amazing.

RB

I've seen suure prints mdtd in s portrait frame . looks great!

Steve Smith
11-21-2011, 07:33 AM
I have a Rolleicord and I love the square format.

Me too.

But I have run into to trouble with people accepting it.

Not me too!

Steve.

Thomas Bertilsson
11-23-2011, 01:39 PM
I've seen suure prints mdtd in s portrait frame . looks great!

I like that too. The portrait frame looks very nice with square prints, especially when top weighted.

Example: I print 8x8" on 11x14" paper. In a 16x20" overmat I mount it according to the attached picture.

The print is 8x8". The opening in the overmat is 9x9". There is 3.5" on each side of the opening, 4.5" on top of the opening, and 6.5" below.

To me it makes a very balanced frame.

j-dogg
11-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Composition in square format seems to work well because it opens the door for symmetrical composition as well as asymmetrical, both in the same photograph.